Has anyone cruised with a child in a wheelchair?

SleepingUgly

If so, just wondering what your experiences have been like. Would you recommend, or would you suggest another type of vacation? Our 6-year-old daughter is temporarily using a wheelchair, but I'd like to treat her to a vacation in the meantime to reward her for being so good with her surgeries and treatment. Not sure if cruising is the best vacation option for us at this time, however, no matter how much we love it.

Thanks!

Linda

I've seen many folks in wheelchairs---they don't seem to have a problem getting around. As for how your daughter will feel...being on the ship, but not being able to participate in some things....I guess you should talk to her about it!

The big question is, is she wheelchair bound or is she able to transfer and walk short distances if needed? That will determine what level of accomodation she will need.

Would she be able to partcipate in the activities she enjoys? Or would she feel left out? Like my son if he could not go in the whirlpool would be hugely disappointed. You would want to look for ports that do not have tenders unless she would be able to get on the tender without the wheel chair. You would also want to take a travel or folding wheelchair. At ports you may have to arrange private tours to ensure that there is an accessible vehicle.

Also remember theme parks are very accomadating to guests in wheelchairs and maybe a trip to Disney would be something she would enjoy more at this time.

Thanks, everyone. She actually can use a walker for a short period of time (i.e., going to the bathroom), but cannot put any weight on the affected foot. So it's not like she can shuffle around using a walker, but she has to hop, so it is much easier being in the wheelchair.

I've talked to her about not being able to go swimming or running around with the other kids, and she says she doesn't care - she just wants to go on a cruise. We've been on a few Celebrity cruises, and she's always enjoyed those, so that was her choice for a vacation in between surgeries / treatment.

We did Disney last August, and I cannot imagine returning in just such a short amount of time. :)

Linda

OK you said "infected foot". So if the foot is covered in a water proof material....maybe she could still use the pool if you were on a ship with a shallow area? (keep the foot elevated and out of the water)

Then if she can splash around with the other kids then she wouldn't feel so left out?

Or maybe one of the ships with a splash area or water playground. Then her foot would never need to be submerged and as long as it is covered, she should be ok.

That's what I was thinking of, the H20 zone on Royal Caribbean Freedom, Liberty or Independence of the Seas.

IMG_0724.jpg

And even the sports pools have a shallow area on the side....

Freedom-Pool.jpg

She should be in a walking cast by late February / early March. After that, she has to go back to the hospital for surgery on her other foot, so the whole process of surgery and lengthy recovery period repeats itself all over again. Her surgery on her right foot was earlier this month, but the recovery period is supposed to last through March, during which time she goes from dressing to cast to walking cast, but at no time can she put any weight on that foot, so it's quite the ordeal for a six-year-old, which is why I'd like to treat her to a vacation in between surgeries. I think with the walking cast though, she can get her foot wet since she can take the cast off. However, the main problem is that she just cannot put any weight on that foot for up to 3 months after the surgery, so no walking or even standing on both feet, so looks like the splash zone would be out.

Maybe I can just treat her to a box of chocolates. ;)

Linda

I would think she would be able to go in the splash area in the wheelchair. Just make sure to dry it off when done. She should also be able to participate in the kids club. If she is handling this on an ongoing basis, she kind of knows her limits. It is still a vacation and I think she would still have a great time! I would suggest contacting the special needs department of the cruise line you prefer.

For example, my son travels with a service dog. He knows that means we can't always do everything everyone else does. It may not be as easy to book excursions, I can't go all the way in the pool with him, the dog does not go in the kids program, and we have to plan our day including the dog. He still loves his vacations though, just a little different.

huangichen ~ I would say go for it. Your daughter wants to go and she knows that this cruise will be somewhat different from her other ones. Just do some research on ships and iterniries and then choose one that will work the best for your daughter.

A wise doctor once told me to let my daughter try everything in life she wanted to do. He meant within reason of course, and to take all necessary precautions.

If your daughter wants a cruise, go and make it one of the best she has ever had. Sure there will be things she can't do, but many things she will be able to do. Make some great memories to help her through these difficult months!

Go for it, BUT, make absolutely certain you book a handicapped accessible cabin. Not only will those cabins accommodate the wheelchair, but there will be a pull down seat in the shower for her to sit on while showering, and there won't be the large step up into the bathroom. People who are disabled go on cruises all the time and your daughter shouldn't have to miss out.

If you are the larger, or only ship at Half Moon Cay (Hal and Carnival's private Island) the tenders are handicapped accessible. You roll onto the upper level, but there is a ramp at the rear to take you to the lower level of the tender, and you can roll right off when you reach shore.

245422275307_0_ALB.jpg

176592375307_0_ALB.jpg

EM

If so, just wondering what your experiences have been like. Would you recommend, or would you suggest another type of vacation? Our 6-year-old daughter is temporarily using a wheelchair, but I'd like to treat her to a vacation in the meantime to reward her for being so good with her surgeries and treatment. Not sure if cruising is the best vacation option for us at this time, however, no matter how much we love it.

Thanks!

Linda

I want to pass along my best wishes to your DD (and you too). I had extensive corrective surgery on both feet when I was 28. (My ortho said, "We're doing both at once because if I do only one at a time, you'll never want to come back for the second!" He was pretty right.) If I had to compare that pain to other pain, I'd say it pretty much tops the list. There's no cushioning there and soooo many nerves, and unlike labor, the pain goes on for weeks and months. Sounds like your DD is handling it well and bravely. Good for her; she definitely deserves a vacation from the day-to-day stuff.

I was in a wheelchair for only about 6 weeks, but I got an appreciation for the challenges. I also broke my ankle one cruise and had to be in a wheelchair for 3 days onboard until we could get home. So, here are my suggestions:

Make sure you go on a newer ship that is designed with wheelchairs in mind. I made the "mistake" of breaking my ankle while we were on a late 1980s ship with thresholds and no auto-open doors, etc. It was a challenge to say the least. Fortunately, I had lots of help from my DH, the crew, and fellow pax. (Also got several, "Oh you poor thing, here's a cocktail to make you feel better" drinks out of the deal, but that's a lousy way to get treated to freebies, for sure.) Make sure you can get an HC cabin. Try not to have tender ports, but if you do, consider making that a "sea day" where you'll have the ship very nearly to yourselves. That can actually be really nice. If she's in the walking cast and can get her foot wet, see if the ship has a pool transfer chair or figure out a way to help her into the shallow edges where she might be able to simply "sit" on the side and dangle her feet into the deeper parts. (That could be a real toughie if she can't put any weight on the foot at all, but it might be similar to whatever you've worked out for bathing.) If she goes to the kids club, have a good talk with the counselors the very first day. Make certain they understand that she must not put weight on her foot and that the other kids must not "bump" into it (which would put pressure on it). If she goes to the kids club, she might make new friends, so bring a few colorful markers if she's in a cast. We all know how kids love to have friends decorate their casts. It's a good ice-breaker too.

The very best to all of you and my hopes and prayers for a most successful outcome for your DD. She's so young to have to go through this. (I might mention that dear friends of ours have a DD who had to have multiple surgeries on her feet and ankles when she was very young. Today, she's a happy and very well-adjusted girl who knows she was brave and strong.)

beachchick

Archived