HAL Room Service - constructive criticism

BoiseIdahoSpud

I was reading the Oosterdam review posted today with the unfortunate room service experience. I feel sorry for their experience. We sailed the Oosterdam last Feb and will again this Feb. The food delivery to our room was timely, accurate, and of good quality.

However, my constructive criticism about HAL's room service is that with each of our orders on the Feb 08 cruise, not once did the delivering crew member offer to "set up" the meal in the room. Everything was just left in stacks of covered dishes. We were in an SA deluxe suite so this was not what we expected.

We would prefer they offer to set up the meal either in the room or on the dining table on the balcony. Most four star hotels will ask where you would like the meal set up (desk, bed, table, etc.) and this would be a nice low-cost way for HAL to differentiate itself in the market.

We'll try requesting a full set up in advance when we place our orders in Feb 09. I do not think a passenger should have to ask, however. It should always be offered to all guests in all room categories.

Pete :)

Same for us. We were in an SA and the delivery person sat it down on the table and left. Honestly, I am afraid if we start asking for set-up, we're going to see delays. I've read about staff cutbacks, so if each meal has to be set-up, then something has to give. I'm just happy if everything arrives hot/warm/cold and on time.

When we used to order room service -- and we always book SA and S DElux suites -- that is exactly how things were delivered to us -- they brought in the tray and placed it on the coffee table and offered to do nothing -- no matter what ship we were on.

Thanks for responding. Did you ever request a full set up in advance?

Pete

Interesting that you did not get the set up service. On my last Zuiderdam adventure I was in SC5187 and without asking got set up service both inside and outside on the balcony. I just thought that was standard. I also noticed that we had the same person deliver our food each morning which was nice since he not only got to know our preferences, but he knew exactly when to bring our order.

I will be on the O in Feb 09 so it will be interesting to see what they do when they deliver our order!

Same for us. We were in an SA and the delivery person sat it down on the table and left. Honestly, I am afraid if we start asking for set-up, we're going to see delays. I've read about staff cutbacks, so if each meal has to be set-up, then something has to give. I'm just happy if everything arrives hot/warm/cold and on time.[/quote]

I understand and respect what you are saying. It just seems that it would be a nice little extra that would go a long way toward improving the overall experience. They already have everything you need on the tray (flowers, slat and pepper) except maybe a table linen. Just a quick table arrangement would do the trick.

Again - nothing major here. Just a nice added touch if they could make it work with staff on hand.

Pete

Same for us. We were in an SA and the delivery person sat it down on the table and left. Honestly, I am afraid if we start asking for set-up, we're going to see delays. I've read about staff cutbacks, so if each meal has to be set-up, then something has to give. I'm just happy if everything arrives hot/warm/cold and on time.

...just another thought on your post...

If we continue to let little touches like this slip without comment, how long will it be before other not-so-little touches (fresh flowers, food quality, linens) go the way of the dinosaur?

Is HAL really hurting? If so, sacrificing service isn't the way of the future, at least if they want to keep us as loyal passengers. We only get a couple weeks each year to escape from reality and we really appreciate the little touches. So please, HAL, sacrifice sailings or even ships - but loose the little touches and we'll definitely have to move on.

On the other hand - if these things are no longer important to the cruising public then it will be up to us to find a line that respects the nice traditions and finds a way to implement them while making a profit and at a cost that is acceptable to the market.

Pete

You need to cruise Maasdam in an "S" suite. We ordered Room Service Breakfast every morning but one of our 14 day cruise. Every morning the steward wheeled our breakfast on a cart with sides that lift to form a round table. The table was fully set with white linens, flowers, salt and pepper. He removed the covers from all plates and set them out for us to enjoy. By the third day, he knew I was the egg white omelette and DH had the bagel. :) He even helped DH bring in a chair from the veranda every morning as he doesn't like sitting in the low leather chair in the cabin. The veranda chairs are perfect.

This is at least the third year Maasdam has used those carts and it is a delightful, luxurious, pampering way to serve Room Service Breakfast and certainly dinner. I don't know if any other ship uses these carts but they are wonderful on Maasdam.

Two points.

1. I've been cruising HAL since 1994, and do not ever recall the room service steward "setting up" my meal. I do believe, though, that room service overall is better now than when I first cruised HAL. Better selection, fresher/hotter/colder food, and happier stewards.

2. I honestly think you are being nit-picking about this. JMHO. If you are that unhappy with one tiny component of the cruise, and that's the one thing that can make or break your satisfaction with the cruise line, perhaps you need to go a bit more upmarket and see if a more costly line can better meet your expectation. Or you can adjust your expectations somewhat, and enjoy the great product HAL offers at a reasonable price.

Another thought.......

HAL has the best menu and selection of any of the other cruise lines in its category IMO They serve a delicious triple decker sandwich, love their veggie wrap with sprouts.... they really have a generous, tasty selection.

I don't think it's a big deal to take a cover (which has kept the food hot) off a plate and put that plate where it is I wish to eat.

How many cruise lines use plate warmers under the eggs to keep them hot? When you order room service hot food, it comes with a plate warmer under the dish. That impresses me way more than a steward taking a plate off a tray.

But that is just me and you most assuredly have every right to request what it is that matters to you.

By all means, ask the steward to set up your food for you. I'd be very surprised if he did not oblige.

It's always a nice touch to give him a gratuity, as well.

Two points.

2. I honestly think you are being nit-picking about this. JMHO. If you are that unhappy with one tiny component of the cruise, and that's the one thing that can make or break your satisfaction with the cruise line, perhaps you need to go a bit more upmarket and see if a more costly line can better meet your expectation. Or you can adjust your expectations somewhat, and enjoy the great product HAL offers at a reasonable price.

Please note that I complimented the accuracy, quality, and on-time delivery in my original post. Also note the title of the thread "Constructive Criticism". That simply means I'm making, in my opinon, a reasonable suggestion to improve what is already very nice service. You say "nit-picky" and I say "attention to detail".

Tomatoe...tomato...potatoe...potato But "nit-picky" is too negative for the tone of my original post which is positive overall, as we love HAL. I never said I was unhappy or that it broke my satisfaction so...please be careful.

When you're paying several thousand dollars for a cabin (or even if you're not), I don't think it is too much to receive-without asking-the excellent service sail7seas describes on the Maasdam. And again-what more does it cost? A minute or two of the crew members time?

Why shouldn't HAL continuously look for small, low-cost ways to improve the overall passenger experience? Anticipatory service is an admirable goal and not that far out of reach. Sounds like a winning plan to me.

Pete

You need to cruise Maasdam in an "S" suite. We ordered Room Service Breakfast every morning but one of our 14 day cruise. Every morning the steward wheeled our breakfast on a cart with sides that lift to form a round table.

We look forward to sailing one of the S or R ships for the first time in 2009 or 2010!:)

Thank you for the detail - hopefully others in the fleet can learn from Maasdam.

Pete

Thanks for responding. Did you ever request a full set up in advance?

Pete

I haven't...and don't intend to do so. I'm just thrilled we have such unlimited room service in a verandah stateroom. On Princess, one has to be at least in a MiniSuite to have anything but continental breakfast.

I understand and respect what you are saying. It just seems that it would be a nice little extra that would go a long way toward improving the overall experience. They already have everything you need on the tray (flowers, slat and pepper) except maybe a table linen. Just a quick table arrangement would do the trick.

Again - nothing major here. Just a nice added touch if they could make it work with staff on hand.

Pete

I understand what you're saying, but my thoughts were more along the line that the staff seems stretched to the max these days and setting up each setting for each cabin delivery would potentially cause more issues with the timeliness of other deliveries. Not that it wouldn't be nice... :)

...just another thought on your post...

If we continue to let little touches like this slip without comment, how long will it be before other not-so-little touches (fresh flowers, food quality, linens) go the way of the dinosaur?

I understand what you're saying, but I feel that with the economy the way it is...I will pick what's really important to me, and let the smaller things go.

Is HAL really hurting? If so, sacrificing service isn't the way of the future, at least if they want to keep us as loyal passengers. We only get a couple weeks each year to escape from reality and we really appreciate the little touches. So please, HAL, sacrifice sailings or even ships - but loose the little touches and we'll definitely have to move on.

On the other hand - if these things are no longer important to the cruising public then it will be up to us to find a line that respects the nice traditions and finds a way to implement them while making a profit and at a cost that is acceptable to the market.

Pete

Honestly, I can't help but believe that HAL isn't suffering losses with what's going on with our economy, so it would make sense to me that they'd have to cut some corners. It happens to the best of companies. In dire times, you do what you have to do to stay afloat.

At this point, I'd rather have the options I have with HAL's extensive room service and deal with taking the lids off my dishes rather than risk this being taken away. But that's just me. I'd bet that if you wanted the room service delivery person to set up your meal, I bet they would. I'd just ask. :)

We own a business and these days it's a fine line between making our customers happy and...our banker happy.

We own a business and these days it's a fine line between making our customers happy and...our banker happy.

Amen! I wish you and others the best during these difficult times. As the Chinese proverb says, crisis and opportunity live together. May we all find latter in the former.

Pete:)

If one leaves their dirty filthy dishes and room service tray outside of their room on the floor,so everybody has to walk by and see it and avoid tripping over it. They are denied room service the rest of the trip

I never heard that, or knew of that happening?

If one leaves their dirty filthy dishes and room service tray outside of their room on the floor,so everybody has to walk by and see it and avoid tripping over it. They are denied room service the rest of the trip

Yessssss!!!!!!!

Fur Shur!

Those yucky trays in the corridors, in spite of the nice little card on every room service tray asking people not to do that, also make the halls impassible for wheelchair occupants and are a serious safety hazard.

However, I was not too pleased on our Noordam b2b that the tray pickup took a long time, and several times we left the cabin to do something before the pickup occurred, and because the stewards don't have key access to the cabins, the dirty tray would still be there hours and hours later. We suggested they find a way to contact the cabin steward or get access so they can pickup when noone is home. Same applied to leaving the hors d'oeuvres in the cabin. There was big kerfuffle after that suggestion, with various people up the ranks calling us for several days to ask if the room service was OK... made me wonder why I had mentioned it, the service response was sooooooo good!:o (or so excessive, depending on your point of view)

We have never called for Room Service to pick up the tray. It always disappears like magic. It must be our cabin steward always removes it because I couldn't stand to have dirty dishes laying around our cabin. That is a giant Yuk for me.

I'm sure Room Service automatically comes back for the rolling carts but if we have a tray from a snack, I have never called for its removal.

Archived