Cabin 4084 on Century

jplotts865

Just back from the Christmas cruise on Century...ship was fully booked to the point of being uncomfortably crowded. We did not expect so many very young children (365+) and "Spring Break" college kids to be on board. The pool area and buffet were generally impossible to access comfortably.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, BOOK CABIN 4084! In all my cruising experience I have never had such a terrible cabin and accept part of the responsibility because I did not fully check the deck plans when we booked this cruise. There is a scullery directly above this cabin - and I'd assume 4082 and 4086 as well as the inside cabins on deck 4 below. The first night out we got no sleep whatsoever because of all the racket above. On investigation (passengers don't usually invade the galley in bathrobe and pajamas I would assume) I found the scullery above 4084 and galley crew washing metal racks which were then tossed about with resultant crashing and metal-to-metal noise which telegraphed quite vividly to the cabins below. I spent the hours between 2:00 and 5:00AM going back and forth to the Guest Relations desk where - to Celebrity's credit - they DID respond as quickly and sincerely as possible, eventually getting us another cabin at around six o'clock - almost impossible on the fully booked ship.

However, this incident effectively ruined the cruise for us.

Lesson learned: READ THE DECK PLANS CAREFULLY and DON'T book a holiday cruise if you are looking for a relaxed, somewhat sophisticated cruise experience.

Better luck next time...I hope!

Hi,:) so sorry about the noise.:(

As for so many kids, I have been told the Christmas

cruises are ALWAYS, ALWAYS full, with lots and lots of families

these days.

I was on CENTURY in Dec 2007 the week before Christmas

and it was crowded too. I spoke to a few of the activities staff and

they told me the week of Christmas was to be totally sold

out with the family/kids being a giant part of the overall

demographic of that sailing.

And because it is a short cruise its less $ too.

Hopefully you have a better experience next time:)

What cabin did you end up in?

We were on the Century cruise before yours--coming back Christmas Eve. I booked us an inside guarantee and we were lucky to end up on the Plaza Deck, right under the theater. We never had any problems with noise from above or below.

I was apprehensive about booking such a short cruise during the Christmas holidays. We generally like to take 10-night cruises or longer. There were tons of children on our cruise as well. Someone announced during the first night that there were almost 600 under the age of 18. But they were all well behaved. I never had any problems around the pool area. Perhaps it's because we like to go to the pool later in the day. I try to avoid getting too much sun. We also had late seating for dinner, and I did not see many children in the dining room then.

Enjoyed the feedback...I'm kicking myself for booking the Christmas cruise as I really should have known better...not all that new to cruising so it's partly my own poor planning. We were in 4084 originally and they moved us to 8030. This cabin had originally been reserved for passengers boarding in Jamaica...fortunately for us they cancelled and we were able to keep it. Otherwise we may have had to leave the cruise in Ocho Rios. I've always sailed Royal Caribbean and booked this second Celebrity cruise (was on a longer float on Galaxy a while back) on the premise that it was 5-star to RCI's 4-star - did not notice any difference...actually the shows on RCI are more elaborate. Alas, getting older now and swarms of kids tend to be a bother...I think I'd better get used to it...accept it as a fact of life, no? Also the ships are getting to be much too big - good thing about that though may be there are more places for people to go, a la kids here, old folks there. I think Century is rather small in the scheme of Celebrity's fleet and when fully booked probably no way to avoid the crowds. Where to next???

Sorry about your room-I was on your cruise & had a different room problem. We had cabin 9026 on the Vista deck and about half way through the first night we start hearing a banging sound. At first I thought that maybe it was a closet door or a drawer or maybe a neighbor. We complain to guest services, then call the next night when we're ready for bed & we realize the banging is coming from outside the ship! A maintenance guy shows up, opens the shade, but its dark out. He confirms that something is loose & hitting the outside of the ship that he'll put in a work order for the following day. Eventually while taking the tender in Grand Cayman from the starboard side we see that there is a loose cable that is hanging down right above our window. We went again to guest services & that night when we come back from dinner (10:30PM on the second to last night of the cruise) there is a call from guest services offering us another room. It was much appreciated but a little late-at that point the seas weren't as rough so the noise wasn't as bad & all we had left to do was pack up our suitcases to go home-we didn't feel like packing & moving to a new cabin for 1 day.

I guess my point is, you just never know even when looking at a deck plan what kinds of problems you might encounter in a cabin!

I do agree with your assessment of the cruise Jay, there were many 20-year-olds seemingly travelling without parents wearing jeans to the dining room, etc. With that however, it is a beautiful ship & it was a nice cruise.

I'm sure I broke all manner of rules and regulations by opening all those "no admittance" doors until I located the source of the crashing mattalic noises above our cabin but...the Guest Relations officer couldn't have been nicer though - it took all night but we did get another cabin even though the ship was supposedly fully booked...wonder if the cabin they offered you was the infamous 4084...it was empty! No more Christmas or holiday cruises for me...too many kids! And, as far as dungarees and blue jeans go...don't get me started! I'm the last holdout for the good old days when people actually enjoyed getting dressed for dinner...a ritual I think is fading fast into cruise history. The kids were generally well behaved but there were just TOO MANY of them. I thought the food and service was a tad off as well...blamed it on the packed conditions. The ship was beautiful...stayed on board in the Caymans and had a lovely - and quiet - afternoon around the pool. Live and learn as they say.

quote by jplotts865

"I'm the last holdout for the good old days when people actually enjoyed getting dressed for dinner"

No you are not:).....I still enjoy getting dressed for dinner too.:D

Yes, even on casual nights I will put on a dress or dress slacks

and nice top:)

I know you and I are in the minority though and that is ok

with me too;)

Archived