Proving I'm not contagious?

nilsbyy

I am NOT in any way contagious, but I came down with bacterial bronchitis over the weekend and I doubt I'll have stopped coughing completely by the time I leave on my cruise (this Sunday). I'll also have antibiotics with me that I'll have to continue taking for the next 10 days. Do I need a note to prove that I'm not contagious, or will they take my word for it? If I do need a note, what type of note should I ask my doctor for and are there any specifics as far as what needs to be on it? If any of you have any experience with this situation, I'd really appreciate the help. All the chatter about being denied boarding is making me really nervous!

I think your doctor should be able to provide a note with the diagnosis and his/her determination that you won't be contagious after whatever date.

For the coughing, you might want to go to the drugstore NOW and invest $20 in some cough suppressants, and then experiement to see which one will work. You really only need to keep the coughing under control for a couple of hours during boarding, and you should be able to find something that will work. Also, make sure that you are "chipper" despite the cough. You will get more notice if you are droopy and tired looking as well as coughing.

Coughing alone should not be that big of a deal - if it was frequently used to deny boarding, imagine how many smokers/older folks (all the men in my office who are over 50 have HORRIBLE "old man coughs") would be left at the pier!

I am NOT in any way contagious, but I came down with bacterial bronchitis over the weekend and I doubt I'll have stopped coughing completely by the time I leave on my cruise (this Sunday). I'll also have antibiotics with me that I'll have to continue taking for the next 10 days. Do I need a note to prove that I'm not contagious, or will they take my word for it? If I do need a note, what type of note should I ask my doctor for and are there any specifics as far as what needs to be on it? If any of you have any experience with this situation, I'd really appreciate the help. All the chatter about being denied boarding is making me really nervous!

If you explain your situation to your doctor, I am sure that he or she can provide you with a note that will satisfy the cruiseline that your medical condition is not contagious, although they may ask you to consult with their onboard medical staff to confirm that fact. It certainly won't hurt your situation to have such a written confirmation about your condition and I would definitely recommend it. It will also give your doctor a heads up about your travel plans and allow him or her to offer specific health care suggestions that will help you enjoy your cruise and be more comfortable while traveling. The cruiseline may not request you to provide proof of your fitness to travel, but it certainly won't hurt to have it in case they do.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your cruise in improving health.:)

Uuummm, unless you want to wear a note around your neck I don't know why you would need it? No one who works for RC is going to question you coughing.

I had the same thing last year and it took me forever to stop coughing. I wasn't on a cruise but I sure got looks just going out to grab a quick bite to eat. I'm sure you will be getting alot of that from other passengers but what can ya do.....show them a note every time you get a look? :p

Just bring alot of cough drops and perhaps have your doctor RX you a good cough medicine so you can sleep. My dr gave me one w/ codine and it worked great.

Have your doctor write a note on his letterhead that you are not contagious and are fit for travel. Without it, they can deny you boarding if you exhibit symptoms.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I think your doctor should be able to provide a note with the diagnosis and his/her determination that you won't be contagious after whatever date.

For the coughing' date=' you might want to go to the drugstore NOW and invest $20 in some cough suppressants, and then experiement to see which one will work. You really only need to keep the coughing under control for a couple of hours during boarding, and you should be able to find something that will work. Also, make sure that you are "chipper" despite the cough. You will get more notice if you are droopy and tired looking as well as coughing.

Coughing alone should not be that big of a deal - if it was frequently used to deny boarding, imagine how many smokers/older folks (all the men in my office who are over 50 have HORRIBLE "old man coughs") would be left at the pier!

:D I'll have to tell this one to my husband. He doesn't smoke, but he's well over 50 and does not have an "old man cough"!! :) As a matter of fact, the only person I know that has a cough at all is my SIL, in her 60's, she's the only relative or friend we have that smokes or coughs.

(all the men in my office who are over 50 have HORRIBLE "old man coughs")

Well, I definitely have an "old man cough" right now! I think I'll feel otherwise fine by this weekend, but I'm going to call and get a note, just in case. I'm not too concerned about other passengers thinking I have the plague, but I don't want to have any problems boarding.

Thanks for everyone's helpful responses.

Uuummm, unless you want to wear a note around your neck I don't know why you would need it? No one who works for RC is going to question you coughing.

I had the same thing last year and it took me forever to stop coughing. I wasn't on a cruise but I sure got looks just going out to grab a quick bite to eat. I'm sure you will be getting alot of that from other passengers but what can ya do.....show them a note every time you get a look? :p

Just bring alot of cough drops and perhaps have your doctor RX you a good cough medicine so you can sleep. My dr gave me one w/ codine and it worked great.

With how careful they are nowadays about diseases spreading onboard cruise ships, you bet they would question someone who is excessively coughing.

I say better safe than sorry, get the note from your MD

Whether you are contagious or not, please, please, please wash your hands alot and also use the purell dispensers before entering the dining rooms (if they are available on your cruise) and also carry a kleenex to cough into rather than just your hand. It may make everyone else around you feel a little better.

There was a woman on our (recent) last cruise who was coughing, coughing, and coughing waiting for the dining room to open one morning. Now I don't kow if she was "contagious" or not but she was the ONLY one I saw who did NOT use the Purell dispenser before going into the dining room !! It took all I could muster not to go up and say something to her....maybe she wasn't contagious but she sure sounded horrible and was coughing in her hand which then touched everything else around her (except the Purell dispenser :eek:)

Archived