Tier-Structured Mariner Program

BoiseIdahoSpud

<<I posted this as a response on different thread but thought there might be broader interest in a discussion about this topic specifically so I am posting it as a new thread.>>

Should the Mariner program have a tier-structure to target the most loyal passengers?

For example, airline programs have tiers for elite members such as silver (30k miles in a year); gold (60k miles in a year); platinum (100k miles in a year).

My thinking is that there would be premium service for the upper HAL tier - whatever that is. 300 days, 400 days, 500 days? What percentage of passengers on average HAL sailings have 300 days or more? 10%, 20%? I have no idea. HAL would have to structure the program so they service the most loyal - it couldn't be designed for everyone.

It would be benneficial if top-level mariners had extra services such as a dedicated phone support line for a ship services "gold desk". No new reps on the line - only those with extensive experience and exceptional service skills. Perhaps this top tier could also receive an upgrade or additional credit onboard for a service of their choice. There could be a dedicated check-in lane at the pier. Their seapass could have a seal or color code recognizing them as top tier. Anything to make them feel special, welcome, and that their repeat business is important. These are just ideas to start a discussion.

We only have 8 HAL days under my belt...soon to be 16...so we are lightyears away from receiving any benefit like this. But we'd like to someday, should we be blessed with so many wonderful cruises like many others on the CC board. I just believe it is good business to reward true loyalty if and when possible.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts or comments you might have.

Pete:)

Interesting concept you propose...

In some ways it is already in place. Most of us at the top end tend to cruise in suites or mini suites and get a lot of those services already. When you cruise as much as we do it is almost like old home week when we get on the ship. On our last cruise the Captain chatted with us in the reception line and stopped it dead for almost five minutes. None of the officers got upset as we had cruised with most of them in the past.

Since we know a lot of the staff and the crews we tend to get that extra touch added to our services. We also go out of our way to meet new officers and crew when we travel.

Do we need any more perks - - NO - - It would not change our opinion or make us cruise any more. We are sure that a lot of others woud like the perks but question if it would make them cruise more.

Since HAL has started the Mariner lunches it amazes us how many ppeople do not show up or even show up to get their Medallions. It is the enjoyment of the cruise, the ship, and the searvice that keeps us coming back to HAL, not the perks.

It will be interesting to see how HAL handles this issue in the future....

We have noticed that they now have Events Managers on the ships. That was a position that was done away with a few years ago (when it was called Asst GUest Relations Manager).

We will be watching the responses

Ruth & Jim

I agree with those who say that the 'high number of day' Mariners already are recognized throughout our cruises and we receive nice courtesies. Because we have sailed so much, we know lots of officers and crew and they always see to it we are happy and comfortable. By we, I do not simply refer to myself and DH but to all 'high Mariners'. When someone is at 400 + days, that is a great deal of loyalty and it has been my experience it is recognized.

Also, as previously stated, those of us who sail in Suites have a different color Key Card, we have priority embarkation/disembarkation and tendering included in the higher fare we pay.

Perks are nice. But just remember that they're not free. Each one has a cost of some sort that has to be recovered by the cruise line. Those who enjoy the Neptune Lounge and laundry services pay for that in their penthouse and S suite fares. But shipboard credits, free internet, free wine package, and other such bennies that might be given are paid for by all.

To be truthful -- we have a high number of days and I have never seen us being treated any differently than first-time cruises, etc.

It is a rare occassion when we have the same officers, i.e., captains, HM, etc., on ships that we have previously sailed on -- thus we have never really gotten to know any of them.

I guess that since we don't choose the same ship and do the same itinerary time after time, we don't get to know the crew and officers and therefore don't get that special recognition that a few here get.

Choices,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's all about choices. We each do on our vacations what suits us best. What works for one person may not work for another. Who is to say what another should choose? :)

And, yes, Jim. There is no 'free'. It all bears a price tag.

In view of the current economy and the need to keep the ships full and successful, I would not be looking for any big changes to Mariners Program soon. I think most of us understand this is not the best time to be handing out pricey OBC's and the like.

I, for one, am looking forward to my two free hours of internet coming up, after just two Cunard voyages, and 17 days. HAL seems the only Carnival brand without much in the way of perks. Some say HAL does not need this due to the past passenger rates. I am certain Cunard ranks very close. On the other hand, maybe that's why fares are higher?:eek: Does the lack of perks on HAL keep me from returning? No. Would I appreciate something more than a tile, pin and lunch (that I would have pretty much anyways, except a free glass of wine)? Yes.

We have noticed that they now have Events Managers on the ships. That was a position that was done away with a few years ago (when it was called Asst GUest Relations Manager).

Ruth & Jim

Ruth & Jim, I think you mean the Guest Services Coordinator who was brought in when they stopped having the hostess? This was a short lived position.

This position was different to the Event Managers who do most of the organizing and managing of the Entertainment Department. Thereby allowing the Cruise Director to do more front-of-house events, entertainment and hosting, especially now they have reduced the number of Cruise/Event Staff.

In view of the current economy and the need to keep the ships full and successful, I would not be looking for any big changes to Mariners Program soon. I think most of us understand this is not the best time to be handing out pricey OBC's and the like.

I agree with you, Sail. In this economy, people are going to the store that has Folgers on sail for $5.29 even though they used to shop elsewhere. Price is king.

As it relates to loyalty reward programs, I have long thought that use of # of days is not necessarily the best measure. There are many ways to rack up 100's of days:

Last minute fire sales for inside cabins on bread and butter runs

Specific Deluxe Suite Cabins booked well in advance

World and Grand Voyages which rarely need to deep discount

Which profile is the more loyal?

These are all good comments so far – thanks for sharing your ideas.

For the sake of this discussion, let’s make some hypothetical assumptions that will give us a baseline:

1. The base/”Mariner Silver” tier begins at 150 days and the top/”Mariner Gold” tier begins at 250 days.

2. Factor out suite privileges because not all passengers sail in suites.

3. We must assume you don’t personally know every crew member on every ship.

Perks are nice in tier-structured loyalty programs, but they’re only one part of a good program. Furthermore, not all loyalty benefits have a direct cost associated with them. The other and in my opinion more valuable aspect of a good loyalty program, is the ability for all staff to easily and quickly recognize the status of a passenger. So let’s explore this. Again, I’ll use the airline program as an example.

When I was a top tier/gold flyer, that status followed me through the entire flying experience. It appeared on my reservation record, boarding card, flight manifest, baggage records, etc. By making that status a part of the passenger record, every staff member could readily see they were dealing with one of their most loyal customers and they just made sure things were handled right the first time.

There is simply no reason this could not be true for HAL as well. Your status would be visible in your passenger record, on your sea pass itself (by color or symbol), and onboard every time it is scanned. This way all front line employees know the value of the passenger they are serving. Tier status could even print on onboard receipts. The same could be true for when you call the front desk and your stateroom number comes up on the screen - your status should appear as well. Dining room managers could have a list of Gold/Silver Mariners to make sure each was personally greeted at the table and thanked for their continuing patronage. Perhaps they could offer a complimentary beverage or some other small gesture to say “welcome back”.

Some other nice touches from the airline example...I received a beautiful, artistic Christmas card every year. I was once sent a dozen fresh cookies as a thank you for continuing business following 9/11. On occaision, the lead flight attendant would come through the cabin and personally thank each of the top tier flyers for their loyalty to the airline – this was a small gesture than meant something and it didn’t cost a dime.

Bottom line: people care about how they are treated and it’s often the little inexpensive things that matter most. All HAL passengers enjoy great service. But the most loyal passengers have earned some extra-special treatment and to make sure issues and requests are handled right the first time.

I’ll look forward to your continuing thoughts.

As it relates to loyalty reward programs, I have long thought that use of # of days is not necessarily the best measure. There are many ways to rack up 100's of days:

Last minute fire sales for inside cabins on bread and butter runs

Specific Deluxe Suite Cabins booked well in advance

World and Grand Voyages which rarely need to deep discount

Which profile is the more loyal?

If not number of days, then what? Do you have another idea. Total revenue perhaps? That might be harder to track.

Using the airline example - a one time flyer could buy a first class seat and edge out the 10-year gold flyer for the seat and better service. It happens sometimes but that's part of the business.

A one time passenger could book the PS and get better service than a 400 day mariner in an inside cabin. Unless of course there was a tier recognition system for that inside passenger.

Regarding the Mariner lunch and medals - I would confidently argue that that method of recognition does not appeal to all demographichs. I'm not saying it's doesn't work...but I am saying it doesn't work for everyone.

Pete

A one time passenger could book the PS and get better service than a 400 day mariner in an inside cabin. Unless of course there was a tier recognition system for that inside passenger.

Pete

Oh I'm pretty sure that already happens. That person would be bringing a big hit of money into the cruise line. Us folks in the cheap seats take a lot longer to bring those dollars to the table. Not everyone can afford such luxury and the cruise line could not afford to sail by just have the expensive seats filled.

The majority of our cruises are booked anywhere from 1 year to 16 months in advance

and

we always book SA Delux suites.

Do I get extra points for that?:)

On Princess, they have announced just such a program - double credits for full suites....

Details here:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na991

The majority of our cruises are booked anywhere from 1 year to 16 months in advance

and

we always book SA Delux suites.

Do I get extra points for that?:)

I would say no. A mariner is a mariner is a mariner and the level of mariner you are should be based on your days sailed. Nothing more.

As for booking suites, you get certain perks associated with them now ... perks that others in more standard accommodations do not have access to.

Those perks are your reward for booking the higher level accommodations. Mariner benefits and perks should be entirely separate, in my humble opinion. That way there won't be overlap in bennies. After all, what would be the benefit to a passenger who booked a suite on a consistent basis if a high level Mariner (which she may also be) is getting the same perks? In effect, that suite passenger would be getting nothing for the additional dollars she was spending on the suite. Her Mariner perks would have given her the same thing.

Also, if points were given for the type of accommodations one sails in ... such as 1 point for standard and maybe 3 points for a suite ... then the person who sails in normal accommodations would virtually have no chance of earning any Mariner benefits. Let's say it takes 30 cruises to start seeing any real Mariner perks, and the suite passenger gets 3 points for every sailing, it is likely the person sailing in standard accommodations is going to pretty much give up in disgust. It will take them probably 20 to 30 years to see any real benefits (assuming they only sail once per year, some twice).

Yep, keep them separate. How many days you sail is how many days you've sailed ... regardless of what type of accommodation. And the perks offered to Mariners should be strictly OBC or meaningful future cruise discounts. Nothing more.

Save the other "perks" like unlimited laundry and dry cleaning, possibly a few hours of free internet, etc., for the suite passengers who pay for them with their hard earned cash.

Blue skies ...

--rita

These are all good comments so far – thanks for sharing your ideas.

For the sake of this discussion, let’s make some hypothetical assumptions that will give us a baseline:

1. The base/”Mariner Silver” tier begins at 150 days and the top/”Mariner Gold” tier begins at 250 days.

Why do you change what HAL has determined to be there award levels?

Copper Medallion is awarded at 100 days. Silver at 300 days and Gold at 500. Why do you rearrange their levels? :confused:

2. Factor out suite privileges because not all passengers sail in suites.

Why do you factor OUT suites. We pay a lot more money for those Suites. I think it definitely is a factor that whatever might be Mariner awards do not duplicate those amenties we pay for in our Suite fare. We would get nothing that other Mariners benefit because we have already bought that amenity in our Suite fare (those of us who have sailed a great many days in Suites) ...... And we will have paid for an amenity which becomes worth far less if more are entitled to it by virtue of days sailed. We 'buy' priority embarkation/disembarkation, we pay for priority tendering. Please do not simply dismiss this out of hand.

3. We must assume you don’t personally know every crew member on every ship.

How many will you assume we Do know? DH and I probably do know at least one Officer (perhaps more) and several crew members on every ship in the fleet. They move around from ship to ship. After a great many cruises/days, we are honored and happy we have made a number of friends in the fleet.

[/size][/font]

Why do you change what HAL has determined to be there award levels?

Copper Medallion is awarded at 100 days. Silver at 300 days and Gold at 500. Why do you rearrange their levels? :confused:

[size4]Why do you factor OUT suites. We pay a lot more money for those Suites. I think it definitely is a factor that whatever might be Mariner awards do not duplicate those amenties we pay for in our Suite fare. We would get nothing that other Mariners benefit because we have already bought that amenity in our Suite fare (those of us who have sailed a great many days in Suites) ...... And we will have paid for an amenity which becomes worth far less if more are entitled to it by virtue of days sailed. We 'buy' priority embarkation/disembarkation, we pay for priority tendering. Please do not simply dismiss this out of hand. [/size4]

[size4] How many will you assume we Do know? DH and I probably do know at least one Officer (perhaps more) and several crew members on every ship in the fleet. They move around from ship to ship. After a great many cruises/days, we are honored and happy we have made a number of friends in the fleet.[/size4]

Sail:

I think you may be misinterpreting what I am suggesting. Let me try to be more clear (this would be easier in person :)). Please forgive me if I offended you in anyway. these assumptions were just for the sake of discussion.

Suite perks belong to suite passengers only. Period. I'm not suggesting anything different.

Regarding the levels - I'm not sugegsting changing the medals and levels. But hypotehtically speaking, if it takes me 20 years to hit a gold level of 250 days, I would then be 58 years old and could enjoy a few years of continuing gold benefit.

About knowing the staff - not everyone is as fortunate as you to know so many crew. A good tier system would help all crew identify the most loyal passengers.

I not arguing for anything to be taken away - quite the contrary. Does this help make my idea more clear for you?

Pete

I know -- I read about that from a friend a couple of days ago.

And we are already Elite members on Princess.

It does quite nicely address the question of more credit for booking higher end cabins, though, don't you think?

Curious what you think...does it make you grumble that inside "elites" would get some of the "suite" perks?

Sail:

I think you may be misinterpreting what I am suggesting. Let me try to be more clear (this would be easier in person :)). Please forgive me if I offended you in anyway. these assumptions were just for the sake of discussion.

Suite perks belong to suite passengers only. Period. I'm not suggesting anything different.

Regarding the levels - I'm not sugegsting changing the medals and levels. But hypotehtically speaking, if it takes me 20 years to hit a gold level of 250 days, I would then be 58 years old and could enjoy a few years of continuing gold benefit.

About knowing the staff - not everyone is as fortunate as you to know so many crew. A good tier system would help all crew identify the most loyal passengers.

I not arguing for anything to be taken away - quite the contrary. Does this help make my idea more clear for you?

Pete

Pete,

What is the need to be hypothetical about specific number of days for each award level? They are established numbers?

I read and understand your message.

It is my opinion much of what you are proposing is already occuring on the ships.

They know how many sea days people have.

Archived