Tier-Structured Mariner Program

BoiseIdahoSpud

That would include me.

I don't want to dilute the perks that have been paid for by those who do sail in suites.

You have said that you have but one short cruise on HAL. I'm curious then, as to why benefits that you clearly would not be entitiled to mean so much to you, especially when it doesn't mean so much to those of us who have many, many days and cruises on HAL.

Hi Ruth:

As several posts (including mine) have stated, suite perks should be given to suite passengers only, otherwise you dilute the value. I agree with you 100% on this.

Yes, you are correct. We are very new to cruising but we love it. Our first experience on HAL was last February and we had such a nice time that we are returning this February with several family and friends who are new to HAL. We like to think of it as "spreading the HAL gospel".

I started this thread because I have a broad interest in the subject of customer relationship management and loyalty programs. I was curious to see what the well-travelled HAL alumni would have to say on the matter.

I'm less interested in benefits for me and more interested in discovering ways to help HAL improve what is already a very nice service offering. As I said in previous a post, I would consider myself very blessed to be a "high day count" mariner at some point in the future.

Does this help you understand my interest in the subject?

Pete

RuthC, thank you for that question, which you managed to express much more effectively than I would have! I've been wondering the same thing.

Does my response above clear up the confusion, CowPrincess? If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify further if you'd like.

Pete

On Board Credit or percentage off cruise depending upon how many days works for everyone. Who of us doesn't like money?

Use the OBC for whatever it is that you enjoy.

You want photos, great. Shore excurison? Fabulous. Wine with dinner.? Go for it. etc etc etc

I think this is fundamental, s7s. Others too have suggested a "sliding scale" that increases based on day count. As you say, it's all about choices.

Pete

What they were going through was the list of people on the next cruise who would be in each cabin, noting if any of them were "VIPs" such as very high level Mariners, press, influential travel agents, etc. They want the cabin stewards to know that while they are expected to do a great job for all of their passengers, there are certain ones who they really need to take care of for various reasons.

So, yes ... they do know exactly who is staying in which cabin and any special distinctions they may have.

Now, as far as the dining room or bars/lounges, I can't comment on whether or not they receive notification simply because I don't know. Personally, I would imagine not, simply because there would be very difficult for them to identify these people. But, of course, this could be wrong.

Here is an excerpt from the FAQ section on the Mariner Society website:

###

Q: When making a reservation, how do I identify myself as a Mariner?

A: Whenever you make a reservation for a Holland America Line cruise, be sure to give your Travel Agent your Mariner I.D. number. When your Mariner number is part of your reservation, you will receive Mariner bag tags and buttons with your travel document package, and the ship will receive a report showing your Mariner status and the number of days sailed. The bottom right corner of the Immigration Form in your travel document package also asks you to indicate the number of days sailed.

###

So they must have the information on board. It seems from the balance of the posts on this thread, however that the status does not flow down to all levels of front-of-house staff, doesn't appear on the seapass/key card, doesn't appear at point of sale terminals, etc.

Pete

We had to update last week our immigration forms for our up-coming cruises.

They no longer ask you for the number of days you have sailed.

And I know in the past when they did ask you for the day on the immigration form, several times I types in our days but when we got on the ship and got to the Mariner's awards ceramonies the days were wrong.

I think this is fundamental, s7s. Others too have suggested a "sliding scale" that increases based on day count. As you say, it's all about choices.

Pete

I was asked the question and that is my choice for response. :)

Sorry if it is redundant.... The question was addressed specifically to me.

That's my answer and I'm sticking with it. :eek:

Hope you enjoy your second HAL cruise.

Does this help you understand my interest in the subject?

Not really, as you seem to be arguing more for increased benefits, (to the point of suggesting what those should be), for long-time cruisers, as opposed to asking what it is we would want.

You don't seem to be accepting the concept that many, many long-time cruisers are happy with HAL as it is, and believe what HAL needs to do is continue providing what it is that has pleased us for all these sailing days.

There was a time when we loved to sit at the Ocean Bar and have a drink before dinner -- 5 PM. But for the last couple of years we have noticed that hardly anyone is ever there anymore. The AYWD dining has cut into the 5 PM cocktail time. On our last cruises the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest were DEAD at that time.
Actually that is changing. HAL has instituted a new "concept," the "twofer" ... two for one cocktails in various venues for an hour. In the Ocean Bar they did it from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. every day; in the Crow's Nest from 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., and then I think from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the Piano Bar (non-smoking cocktail hour). I generally went to the one in the Ocean Bar and trust me, it was packed.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I started this thread because I have a broad interest in the subject of customer relationship management and loyalty programs. I was curious to see what the well-travelled HAL alumni would have to say on the matter.

And yet you don't really seem to understand when a number of "well-travelled HAL alumni" say they don't especially want any of the things you are suggesting. Sorry, I think you are not really listening and understanding what you are being told by members of your "target" group.

It is simply good business to make sure your most loyal passengers can be identified by the crew so they can make extra-sure they are 1) thanked for their loyalty to the line and 2) have any issues or requests resolved with priority.

This is not classism - it's strictly good business sense.

Good business sense does not alienate a group of customers simply because they are new to the business. THAT'S good business sense. Providing excellent service to every customer is good business sense, and as soon as you start giving "more superior" service to someone, the rest of the people are automatically getting "less superior" service. Several people have tried explaining our perception of this concept.

I have no loyalty programs in my business. I give my best work, every time, to every customer. I have never lost a customer to the competition. I have a waiting list. Not because of some loyalty program. Because of the quality of the work I do.

Based on your "interest in customer relationship management and loyalty programs", I'm wondering if you are perhaps trying to work up a pitch to HAL to manage or contribute to their loyalty program. Seriously, I'm starting to wonder about your motives. So I'll not be contributing further to this thread.

I haven't reached any level of real significance with any line, but I anticipate that in the future I am going to. Will the repeat pax perks of a certain cruise line (any cruise line) keep me coming back for more? Maybe--- if all other things are roughly equal but one line gives me EXCELLENT perks for being a repeat passenger, I'd be silly not to go with the line that recognized my loyalty.

See ... now I'm totally different. Yes, it is certainly nice to have repeat passenger benefits, but they in and of themselves don't keep me sailing any one cruise line. I sail the cruise line whose onboard experience (and, of course, itinerary) make me happy. Carnival could give me free internet, free spa treatments, free drinks, free anything ... I probably wouldn't return for another sailing on one of their ships ... not because the ship or the sailing is necessarily a bad one, but because the onboard ambience and in many cases itinerary do not appeal to me. It's all a matter of tastes. I look for one thing in my cruises, a bunch of friends may look for something entirely different. So we all go where we get what we want.

I have a friend who sails RCI exclusively for this reason. She generally prefers their ships and the onboard experience they offer to her and her family. She probably wouldn't be caught dead on HAL because HAL would not give them what they want in a cruise. It wouldn't matter to her one iota what sort of past passenger bennies HAL was offering.

Yes, passenger loyalty programs are nice, but I tend to think they're generally not a deal breaker for most people.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'd like to summarize the suggestions from all posts and provide them to the HAL Mariner program office. Or perhaps I'll just send a link to this thread.

And yet you don't really seem to understand when a number of "well-travelled HAL alumni" say they don't especially want any of the things you are suggesting.....

Based on your "interest in customer relationship management and loyalty programs", I'm wondering if you are perhaps trying to work up a pitch to HAL to manage or contribute to their loyalty program. Seriously, I'm starting to wonder about your motives.

CowPrincess - Given the OP's stated interest in directing these comments about the Mariner Program directly to HAL, I think you may be onto something. Gee - and to think I believed HAL may actually read these forums! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is simply no reason this could not be true for HAL as well. Your status would be visible in your passenger record, on your sea pass itself (by color or symbol), and onboard every time it is scanned. This way all front line employees know the value of the passenger they are serving.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet to see if this has been noted, but aboard ship (at least in the bar areas) every time your stateroom number is keyed in for a charge, the screen briefly flashes a large colored block in your current Mariner Status level... Red, Blue, Gold, etc. so that the ship personnel currently dealing with you DO know your general Mariner status.

Actually that is changing. HAL has instituted a new "concept," the "twofer" ... two for one cocktails in various venues for an hour. In the Ocean Bar they did it from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. every day; in the Crow's Nest from 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., and then I think from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the Piano Bar (non-smoking cocktail hour). I generally went to the one in the Ocean Bar and trust me, it was packed.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That sounds like a great idea.

Was it advertized in the daily program?

The Pinao Bar on the Vista class ships never opens until 9 or 9:30 so I don;t see them having a cocktail time from 7 - 8 then.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet to see if this has been noted, but aboard ship (at least in the bar areas) every time your stateroom number is keyed in for a charge, the screen briefly flashes a large colored block in your current Mariner Status level... Red, Blue, Gold, etc. so that the ship personnel currently dealing with you DO know your general Mariner status.

HM -- haven't heard about this.

Many times we haven't even been asked for our card on recent cruises -- we just have gotten a written slip -- no price -- just number of drinks on it -- drinks weren't even run through the register.

I'm wondering if you are perhaps trying to work up a pitch to HAL to manage or contribute to their loyalty program. Seriously, I'm starting to wonder about your motives. So I'll not be contributing further to this thread.

CowPrincess - Given the OP's stated interest in directing these comments about the Mariner Program directly to HAL, I think you may be onto something.

Sigh...so sad...

...and here we see the internet being used for its highest and most noble purpose: baseless accusations made in in the comfort of total annonymity. Perhaps you should read one of the many threads on message board ettiquete.

You could have just asked what kind of work I do. But, in the interests of full disclosure, I am happily employed long-term in the healthcare field and have no connection to or affiliation with the travel or hospitality industry in any way.:)

I'm just an average nice guy who likes to cruise and thought this would be an interesting discussion. Based on the many posts, it has indeed been interesting.

Pete

That sounds like a great idea.

Was it advertized in the daily program?

The Pinao Bar on the Vista class ships never opens until 9 or 9:30 so I don;t see them having a cocktail time from 7 - 8 then.

It was listed everyday in the Daily program on the Statendam on my Nov.08 cruise.

You don't seem to be accepting the concept that many, many long-time cruisers are happy with HAL as it is, and believe what HAL needs to do is continue providing what it is that has pleased us for all these sailing days.

Actually I do accept this, Ruth. I'm all for keeping everything that works and is popular in the program with all the high-day Mariners. I hope that I haven't offended you in any way. Please know that is not my intent.

At the same time, I'm also for constant innovation and looking to improve what is good and helping to make it great.

I hope you and others have a great year filled with many wonderful cruises!

Pete

These are all good comments so far – thanks for sharing your ideas.

For the sake of this discussion, let’s make some hypothetical assumptions that will give us a baseline:

1. The base/”Mariner Silver” tier begins at 150 days and the top/”Mariner Gold” tier begins at 250 days.

2. Factor out suite privileges because not all passengers sail in suites.

3. We must assume you don’t personally know every crew member on every ship.

Perks are nice in tier-structured loyalty programs, but they’re only one part of a good program. Furthermore, not all loyalty benefits have a direct cost associated with them. The other and in my opinion more valuable aspect of a good loyalty program, is the ability for all staff to easily and quickly recognize the status of a passenger. So let’s explore this. Again, I’ll use the airline program as an example.

When I was a top tier/gold flyer, that status followed me through the entire flying experience. It appeared on my reservation record, boarding card, flight manifest, baggage records, etc. By making that status a part of the passenger record, every staff member could readily see they were dealing with one of their most loyal customers and they just made sure things were handled right the first time.

There is simply no reason this could not be true for HAL as well. Your status would be visible in your passenger record, on your sea pass itself (by color or symbol), and onboard every time it is scanned. This way all front line employees know the value of the passenger they are serving. Tier status could even print on onboard receipts. The same could be true for when you call the front desk and your stateroom number comes up on the screen - your status should appear as well. Dining room managers could have a list of Gold/Silver Mariners to make sure each was personally greeted at the table and thanked for their continuing patronage. Perhaps they could offer a complimentary beverage or some other small gesture to say “welcome back”.

All pax should be treated the same. Dining room managers already visit every table.

A complimentary beverage would be ok with me but when sitting with a group not on your tier, I just don't like the idea of 1 or 2 getting "special" treatment and the others don't.

Some other nice touches from the airline example...I received a beautiful, artistic Christmas card every year. I was once sent a dozen fresh cookies as a thank you for continuing business following 9/11. On occaision, the lead flight attendant would come through the cabin and personally thank each of the top tier flyers for their loyalty to the airline – this was a small gesture than meant something and it didn’t cost a dime.

Hal already sends out Christmas, birthday and thank you for sailing with us emails.

Bottom line: people care about how they are treated and it’s often the little inexpensive things that matter most. All HAL passengers enjoy great service. But the most loyal passengers have earned some extra-special treatment and to make sure issues and requests are handled right the first time.

I’ll look forward to your continuing thoughts.

Pete:)

Everyone's issues and requests should be handled right the first time, not just frequent cruisers with an elite status.

If Hal wanted to do something, my opinion hasn't changed. OBC is the fairest way to go. Forget all the other stuff.

Perhaps you should read one of the many threads on message board ettiquete.
Thanks BoiseIdahoSpud. Please do a quick search of my prior posts before offering me a lesson on message board etiquette....
I'm just an average nice guy who likes to cruise and thought this would be an interesting discussion.
Perhaps so. But we all need to make allowances for ideas/opinions that we may not like. The give & take on these message boards is often what keeps it interesting! ;);)

gizmo

All pax should be treated the same. Dining room managers already visit every table.

A complimentary beverage would be ok with me but when sitting with a group not on your tier, I just don't like the idea of 1 or 2 getting "special" treatment and the others don't.

That is simple, good manners. I can't imagine an HAL officer would send a drink to two persons seated with a group of six. If they choose to send you a drink when you are with others, there is no question but that they would treat all to a drink.

But we all need to make allowances for ideas/opinions that we may not like. The give & take on these message boards is often what keeps it interesting! ;);)

Hi MightyQuinn:

Fair enough. I love a spirited discussion...as long as it is respectful in tone. And please - call me out if I have failed to be respectful and courteous. :) I'll own up to it and apologize.

I just needed to make it 100% clear to CowPrincess that her allegation of getting in with the cruise line for employment was absolutely baseless and totally off the mark.

gizmo

That is simple, good manners. I can't imagine an HAL officer would send a drink to two persons seated with a group of six. If they choose to send you a drink when you are with others, there is no question but that they would treat all to a drink.

Yes, Sail. I agree with you. Your concerns are very valid. If something like this were to be done it would have to be discreet and basically "invisible" to others. I was thinking that if something were provided comp, that it would simply not be on your bill. Subtle and discreet. No need for others to know or be aware.

Pete

Thanks for sharing this - was anyone else aware of this?

Hope you enjoy your second HAL cruise.

Thank you for the kind wishes, Sail. We're so happy to be returning and bringing several "new to HAL" cruisers along for the voyage.

By the way...thanks also for your adivce on the Maasdam on the "room service" thread last week. I appreciated that. We're looking at the 2009 7-day Candian and New England itinerary.

Archived