$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

Are you sure this is not a joke. I think all of you dreamed this up playing a cruel joke on Brad to just to get me all worked up.

See how RCI starts with Midnight, next 10pm, then all room service.

I still amazed on how many here just love any extra charge.

I'm still not over the $3.95 jr and $14.95 mdr charges, now this.

This change would actually save me $1.05 from the $5.00 tip the person would have received. Now the crew will make less in tips.

You know how there are cup half full and cup half empty people? There is another group of people and they are my cup is empty and the cruiseline just stole it, kind of people.:D;)

jc

And for the ones of us that have been around for a while, know that the cruise lines do not always update their website in a timely manner when changes are made.

I'm sure that we will be hearing from folks soon if this change is put into place tomorrow. My guess is it will start on the next cruise for each ship in place of 1/01/09.

I just called RCI UK about another issue, and having seen this thread grow and grow during the day - I thought I would check it out so I asked the girl about it.

She knew immediately what I was talking about and read the info to me practically the same words as Elizzanessie has used. I asked her where she got it from and she said it was on the front page of their internal Q&A database that the call centre uses.

Have any of you called the USA call centre and asked them?

I just called RCCI and YES they are starting January 1 a $3.95 charge for late night orders of room service thoughout the fleet. ... So there you go! :(

It is just a sign of the times and will continue, we have already seen additional charges for this and that and I guarantee there will be more until finally people say "Enough" :D

You'd be surprised how many people are up that early in the morning - either getting up or going to bed.

:D

That would be me. I have never been in bed before midnight on a cruise. In fact, I can't remember when I was in bed before midnight at home!:rolleyes:

I have just noticed this bit on the memo and wondering if this is new?

"A full breakfast menu with egg dishes is offered between 7-10AM.

Full dining room menus are available for in-stateroom service during lunch

and dinner times."

With regard to egg dishes wasn't it just omlettes you could order before for brekkie? I wonder if this means Eggs Benedict will be available from room service?

Also wasnt it previously a restricted menu from room service for lunch and dinner unless you were in a suite?

I've never seen Eggs Bennie, but they do have scrambled.

We do, munchies!! Gonna have to order everything on the dang menu now, just to get my 'moneys' worth! All $3.95 of it! Shoot!

You'll just have to head down to the Promenade Cafe from now on!:p

I've never ordered room service at that hour - I'm too full from dinner to even think of it.:cool: But then, I forget to eat on cruises. Never forget to drink, but I do forget to eat.:o

I just called RCI UK about another issue, and having seen this thread grow and grow during the day - I thought I would check it out so I asked the girl about it.

She knew immediately what I was talking about and read the info to me practically the same words as Elizzanessie has used. I asked her where she got it from and she said it was on the front page of their internal Q&A database that the call centre uses.

Have any of you called the USA call centre and asked them?

Thank you Albert :)

Well they started charging for steak in the MDR a while ago. How does that fit into your quotes?

it fits into my quotes fine as they do offer other good quality choices for "free" on top of the 14.95 steak choice. If they want to charge me for certain foods for room service, fine. But, at least then have other options for the "free" room service menu.

Sorry to stand up for something that I feel is not right and upset some loyal blind followers.:p

I just called RCCI and YES they are starting January 1 a $3.95 charge for late night orders of room service thoughout the fleet. ... So there you go! :(

It is just a sign of the times and will continue, we have already seen additional charges for this and that and I guarantee there will be more until finally people say "Enough" :D

Thank you for phoning and confirming this to be true on the other side of the pond also :D

Sounds like the passengers are the ones being unreasonable.

When do you think the crew should have some time off? Doesn't midnight to 5 a.m. sound like a time they should get a break and not have to deliver milk and cookies to someone (and may not get a tip to boot)?

Come on folks, all that spitefulness does not solve anything. Try to eat as much as you can from 5 a.m. to midnight and let it go!

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Low fares, price reductions, discounts, OBC and no charges to make up for the loss. Then there's smuggled booze, water, soda and heaven knows what else.

RCI is a business not a charity!~

it fits into my quotes fine as they do offer other good quality choices for "free" on top of the 14.95 steak choice. If they want to charge me for certain foods for room service, fine. But, at least then have other options for the "free" room service menu.

Sorry to stand up for something that I feel is not right and upset some loyal blind followers.:p

You don´t upset me at all. I just don´t think that your quotes contradict with the new charge. This has nothing to do with the 3.95 itself:)

3.95 does not seem like a huge revenue maker . My guess is RCI is trying to discourage late night requests so that they can modify staffing at those hours which may indeed result in substantial savings to the line.
...and to cut down on the huge wastage in food perhaps..

This change would actually save me $1.05 from the $5.00 tip the person would have received. Now the crew will make less in tips.

That's what is so ironic to me about this charge. I almost always give a five for a tip, for just about any small type of service. Heck, I've left a five for someone bringing me a free coffee. :eek:

And while my nature will make it hard for me to stop doing this, seeing a charge for service already on the bill will make me think twice.

Beginning January 2009 there will be a service charge of $3.95 for room service ordered between 12-5am, this includes the gratuity.

Dont shoot the messenger please :o

12-5am is just the beginning. Didn't you see this coming when you no longer had to sign for room service? No place to leave tip!

Gosh...I've never thought about ordering room service during the middle of the night. On my last cruise if we got hungry after midnight there were hamburgers, hot dogs, salad & cookies, etc around the adults indoor pool area. Even if I did decide to order in-room service I would give a $2 tip so there are now upping my tip by 1.95 = $3.95. When you compare this to what a land based hotel charges for room service this is cheap. I can only assume that RCCL is doing this to either discourage room service and/or increase what guests are tipping staff late at night. However....I'm wondering if RCCL is testing to see if they can impose these fees during regular hours. We'll see.

Sounds like the passengers are the ones being unreasonable.

When do you think the crew should have some time off? Doesn't midnight to 5 a.m. sound like a time they should get a break and not have to deliver milk and cookies to someone (and may not get a tip to boot)?

Come on folks, all that spitefulness does not solve anything. Try to eat as much as you can from 5 a.m. to midnight and let it go!

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Low fares, price reductions, discounts, OBC and no charges to make up for the loss. Then there's smuggled booze, water, soda and heaven knows what else.

RCI is a business not a charity!~

Couldn't agree with you more. I think most that are having a problem with this either don't tip when they do use the service, or are very stingy if they do tip, or we have to ones who just need something else to b***h about.

Those who use room service no matter what time and give adecent tip , could care less.

I don't know, why don't we ask all the people in the US that work 3rd shift and are glad just to have a job.

Dang Diane, you just ruined many peoples News Year Eve!!!!!:D:D:D

LMAO> Thats what I do!!! Give em a reason to drink..........:D

And do any of you really believe the full $3.95 is going to the guy/gal as a tip, they will probably only get a small portion of that and RCCi will pocket the rest. And there are most likely a lot of midnight calls for room service, done so a few times myself and you figure all the ships every week it will add up in $$$$ in RCCI coffers. And my guess is, they will see how it flies and then extend the hours it won't be long till all room service is $3.95 per order. :eek:

I agree. I believe that many people stiff the room service people...especially those who think tipping is unnecessary and remove the auto-tips using one excuse or another.

I'll bet Carnival is licking their chops over some of this money grubbing behavior from RCCL and others.

In a talk I had recently with someone I doubt that RCI would be too unhappy if those 'stiffers' be moving on.

'Stiffers' all have one thing in common: they drain out companies to very last bit and then more. It is not just a tip related thing, 'stiffers' (I like that term :D) have just that basic philosophy. To fill with cabins with 'stiffers' is not as attractive anymore.

Based on information from that 'creepy, little person at RCI' and finalized by my interpretation from unpublished reports ( :D ) I would gather that RCI has realized some mistakes and rather goes 75% full with non stiffers than adding another 25% of 'stiffers'. BUT there are always ways to fill the ships. :p;)

Good things are coming. I love every implementation so far. :D

I don't know, why don't we ask all the people in the US that work 3rd shift and are glad just to have a job.

No doubt...my DH is a firefighter...went in this morning at 8 and won't get out for 24 hours. And most nights he works non-stop. NY eve...forget it, I bet his truck will never see the station. But, he is just happy to have a job right now.

But I guess the point made...is they will be working and possibly not receiving the tips because they are included in the surcharge and I guess some are wondering if they'll actually receive any of it in tips.

Archived