$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

No worries Oliver :D

Sadly some folks like to tear folks apart when news of changes are posted which is why I always have confirmation before I post. :)

Eliza:

Not that I'm doubting you, but would you mind sharing what your source is? Is it a PR on RCCL's website? Or an email from yor TA? Or....

Well, I'm kind of thinking this is just another thing to confuse so many on tipping.

After reading thread after thread, weeding out fact from non-fact I was totally convinced-as I have said befor that no one really knows how tipping works or staff scheduels.

So many say-tip the dining room service no matter if you eat there or not because that money is distributed among many as tips were pooled. That has not been proven to be fact.

To me-this just enforces the fact to tip the service you recieve directly. Be it WJ dining, room service, Johnny rockets, Seaview, the list can go on.........

Because you are given an envelope-you may think that covers you for all your food service but it just may not be the case. The envelope says 'per day' suggested gratuity. And also it says DR wait staff. Not per sailing and not all food servers.

I don't think it is an effort to stop room service at those hours. I think it is just RC's way of saying-these guys deserve a tip too. I could be wrong but I'm just trying to figure this thing out and it may never happen!!:(

Let the confusion continue..............................:eek:

15% for the last few years? That's been a standard since my first cruise in the early 90's.

And a $3.95 charge for late night munchies isn't much, we usually tipped about that anyway. Do you know if it's a per order or per person charge? Either way, it's less than the price of another drink in the bar. :)

Hi Nanci :D

Per order.

It is about the same as we normally tip, heck when it is big order we tip more than that but it is still a shame to see more charges coming into play isnt it? :(

Happy New Year from Uncle Adam!!!!!!! :)

Not a biggie. I don't usually order room service that late and the charge is about what I tip anyway. Something tells me that this charge will expand sooner or later to 24/7. When I cruised on the NCL's Norway back in 94, they had a hefty charge for ordering room service at any time. I don't remember the exact amount but it was more than what RCI is now charging.

Hi Nanci :D

Per order.

It is about the same as we normally tip, heck when it is big order we tip more than that but it is still a shame to see more charges coming into play isnt it? :(

Welcome to the future of mass market cruising. A lot of folks want/expect to cruise for $100.00 or less a day. The cruise lines are keeping the prices in check and now you will just start paying for more and more of the other things.

Perhaps it's an effort to stop room service during those hours.

It does seem like a shame....what next?? :rolleyes::confused:

$4 and that includes the tip and it would stop room service?? Really??

How much do you usually tip room serice, ok so its what $2 more at most than if I ordered only 1 or 2 items and left a cheap tip.

If that stops room service, folks are really tipping small tips. Im surprised. It doesnt seem like a big deal to me to increase tips during the wee hours of the night. I must be a big tipper.

I agree that its a shame they are having to set tipping rates for room service, even if its only during a limited time period right now.

Eliza:

Not that I'm doubting you, but would you mind sharing what your source is? Is it a PR on RCCL's website? Or an email from yor TA? Or....

I am lucky in that RCCL give me heads ups on info sometimes. All TAs should have recieved or will receive memos about this very soon.

I'm not sure when we last ordered room service during those hours, so it is unlikely to effect us. However, it is not a promising development and I foresee the possibility of incremental changes in the hours when the surcharge would apply and eventually the imposition of a surcharge for room service at any hour of the day. I seem to remember decades back when NCL's Norway charged a similar fee for all room service. At some point the fact that they were alone in charging for room service caused them to abandon the practice. In these economic times, however, with everyone looking for new revenue streams, the other lines may elect to join the parade and charges for services will become more commonplace. :(

Welcome to the future of mass market cruising. A lot of folks want/expect to cruise for $100.00 or less a day. The cruise lines are keeping the prices in check and now you will just start paying for more and more of the other things.

Wish we could get cruises at $100 a day...more like £100 a day :(

I wonder how much of that is the tip?

Not having to scramble for a few $$ in cash could be a GOOD thing. We usually tip that much anyway. But if the waiter only gets a pittance, and we need to pay the $3.95 PLUS add a bit, that's a problem.

Yes, we have probably ordered room service a little bit past midnight.

Well, I'm kind of thinking this is just another thing to confuse so many on tipping.

After reading thread after thread, weeding out fact from non-fact I was totally convinced-as I have said befor that no one really knows how tipping works or staff scheduels.

So many say-tip the dining room service no matter if you eat there or not because that money is distributed among many as tips were pooled. That has not been proven to be fact.

To me-this just enforces the fact to tip the service you recieve directly. Be it WJ dining, room service, Johnny rockets, Seaview, the list can go on.........

Because you are given an envelope-you may think that covers you for all your food service but it just may not be the case. The envelope says 'per day' suggested gratuity. And also it says DR wait staff. Not per sailing and not all food servers.

I don't think it is an effort to stop room service at those hours. I think it is just RC's way of saying-these guys deserve a tip too. I could be wrong but I'm just trying to figure this thing out and it may never happen!!:(

Let the confusion continue..............................:eek:

I'm not, nor have ever been confused about tipping.

I tip the recommended amount, or leave extra if we feel like it. I think 15% is a fair gratuity for drinks and wine service. Any venue that charges a cover fee has included the gratuity in the fee. It's so simple and not confusing at all.

That some tips may be pooled and that the dining room staff rotates to the buffet is just the way it goes and none of my business. Since I'm serving myself in the buffet and rarely if ever do I have anyone serve me a drink and I usually have to sit at an already dirty table and scoot the used plates out of the way, well I don't see a need to tip there. I only go to the buffet if I have no other choice.

Since the new room service charge states it includes a tip, so be it. We tip at least that amount anyway, usually $5 for a meal served. We're rarely up between those hours and don't care to eat in the middle of the night, so it really will have no affect on us at all.

Beginning January 2009 there will be a service charge of $3.95 for room service ordered between 12-5am, this includes the gratuity.

Dont shoot the messenger please :o

We usually tip that much anyway. I say it just makes it easier for me....no more making sure i have one dollar bills or a five before I call room service.:)

I actually wish they would extend that till about 7 because thats usually when I have my coffee delivered anyway. Since I'm not a morning person it would be nice not to have to look for money first thing in the morning and I usually don't plan ahead for that before I go to bed.

Now if they could just make a slot in the door to slide the coffee into so I wouldn't even have to get out of bed to answer the door!!!

:eek: Not surprised one little bit by this news, the Airlines started the nickel and diming stuff so only seems right that the cruise lines follow suit. Next thing you know they will start adding charges for second bags checked, multiple trips to the dessert bar, pillows on the bed :rolleyes: ..... so I suppose we should all get use to it. They want to keep the price of the cruise low to get you on the ship....then nickel and dime you once on board! And they know most people will say it is only $3.95 it won't break me, unfortunately $3.95 here, $5 there it all starts to add up! :(

:eek: Not surprised one little bit by this news, the Airlines started the nickel and diming stuff so only seems right that the cruise lines follow suit. Next thing you know they will start adding charges for second bags checked, multiple trips to the dessert bar, pillows on the bed :rolleyes: ..... so I suppose we should all get use to it. They want to keep the price of the cruise low to get you on the ship....then nickel and dime you once on board! And they know most people will say it is only $3.95 it won't break me, unfortunately $3.95 here, $5 there it all starts to add up! :(

Happy New Year Diane.:)

You're correct. I see more of it coming. We have a choice. The cruise line either raises the prices to cover the expenses or they keep them lower and let guests decide what they want to pay extra for. Personally, I would rather they raise the prices to cover the nickle and dime stuff but we all know that if they did, they would not do away with this type of extra charges. They would just pocket the extra money.

I see this becoming more of what the future holds for mass market cruising. Almost going to an A la Carte type of experience. You pay once price for your accommodations and then extra for everything else on board. NCL started this trend with their Freestyle concept and other lines have/are adopting it. The extra fee dining rooms was one of the first steps in this direction. I don't see it stopping.

happy ks;

I get ya!!:). I thought I was not confused either. I tip service. Don't feel buffet style luch and bkfst. warrents a tip. Will often bring bills with me to tip the server extra that brings my drink to myself in my pool chair. Tip room service servers and yes, tip WJ servers at dinner seperate when not eating in DR. They actually do much more 'service' in the evening then lunch IMO.

Problem is, folks like myself get semi-roasted if I do not tip the DR staff even if I didn't eat there. That's why I personally get confused.

I will guess that RC can do its in house cut backs on payroll and almost treat its employess like most land based hotels and restaurants that you are paid with tips. Your tiny little salary is not what makes your income-it's your service.

In turn-others salaries may be a bit higher as tipping is not in their criteria for salary.

I'm only trying to point out that to those that roast some for not giving the DR staff a tip even when not there because that money gets floated into a huge tip pot may very well not be the case.

This may be RC's way of making sure we get it possiby.:confused: Mind you, this is just speculation on my part.

We usually tip that much anyway. I say it just makes it easier for me....no more making sure i have one dollar bills or a five before I call room service.:)

I actually wish they would extend that till about 7 because thats usually when I have my coffee delivered anyway. Since I'm not a morning person it would be nice not to have to look for money first thing in the morning and I usually don't plan ahead for that before I go to bed.

Now if they could just make a slot in the door to slide the coffee into so I wouldn't even have to get out of bed to answer the door!!!

you can order that through Gifts and Gear ;):D

I have just noticed this bit on the memo and wondering if this is new?

"A full breakfast menu with egg dishes is offered between 7-10AM.

Full dining room menus are available for in-stateroom service during lunch

and dinner times."

With regard to egg dishes wasn't it just omlettes you could order before for brekkie? I wonder if this means Eggs Benedict will be available from room service?

Also wasnt it previously a restricted menu from room service for lunch and dinner unless you were in a suite?

A lot of folks want/expect to cruise for $100.00 or less a day. The cruise lines are keeping the prices in check and now you will just start paying for more and more of the other things.

We are averaging around $122 per day for our booked cruises.

As far as the service charge for the wee hours of the night room service, it sounds like RCCL just wants to make sure the staff get tipped during those hours. My guess is a lot of people aren't tipping. Most people who work midnight and after in the U.S. get an extra amount in their salary.

Eliza:

I am lucky in that RCCL give me heads ups on info sometimes. All TAs should have recieved or will receive memos about this very soon.

Could you please post a link to this info. As senrab said, it's not that I doubt you, but I always like to read the actual press release, so I can see if there is any info "hidden between the lines". You've been asked twice, and in neither reply have you given a link. I checked RCCL's site, searched all over to no avail, including the "What's New" page. I would like to see how they are implementing this. I find this especially interesting when one considers that it is a (albeit small) policy change taking place almost immediately. I would think there would be more advance notice of this.

OTOH, in all reality, it's an extremely minor issue. :cool:

I see more of it coming. We have a choice. The cruise line either raises the prices to cover the expenses or they keep them lower and let guests decide what they want to pay extra for. Personally, I would rather they raise the prices to cover the nickle and dime stuff but we all know that if they did, they would not do away with this type of extra charges. They would just pocket the extra money.

I too would like to see a more inclusive price. I would go so far as to include *all* tips in the base price. I always tip generously, but I assume there are some who don't tip at all.

But as you say, we are unlikely to see this, as it would make cruise prices seem higher than they publish, and heaven forbid people actually see the $-number they will ultimately pay. :rolleyes:

Archived