First time Alaska cruiser is overwhelmed

bearsmom24

Sorry, I am a newbie. I know you will all say..read the boards, which I have, but I still have questions. I also have the Fodor's 2009 Alaska and the Alaska by Cruise Ship and am reading those as well.

Hubby and I are taking HAL cruise tour #19 this May. We are a younger couple and active and would like to see and do as much as we possibly can. There is so much to see and do..as well as read on these boards that I am reaching the saturation point and confusing myself even more.

Ports of call include..

Ketchikan 7a-3p

Juneau 8a-10:30p - trying to book Harv&Marv whale trip for sure

Skagway 7a-9p

Hotel Alyeska - 2 nights

Anchorage - 1 night

Denali - 2 nights

Fairbanks - 1 night

Need help with what to do where....

• We want to take flightseeing trip - where is best place to do so
  • Want wildlife - would love to see bears - even take tour to Katmai or Brooks Falls, but not sure if in "season" May 17-30.
  • Good places to eat in each port?
  • Cruise ship excursions vs independent - any good indies?
  • HAL auto adds gratuities to our tab, cant we use envelopes like other lines? I have read the auto tips do not encourage staff to care as much and service is lacking.

Help!

Thanks in advance for specifics.

I finally made my decision of which cruise line, itinerary, and disembarkation port ... then had to decide on cabin-type (went w/ balcony) and booked Alaska on RCI for Sept 09. That took a lot to come to that decision!

Too bad we're not traveling together, sounds like we have some similar interests: nature/wildlife, adventure-style excursions, food? Now I'm in the same spot as you, in can seem overwhelming. I have different ports than you, maybe a few the same: Icy Strait Point, Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Vancouver.

Have you also tried tripadvisor for help too? I also got a lot of help from tripadvisor members re excursions and ports, and you can contact most of them directly via email if you want more detailed, individualized info about something they've posted ... everyone I emailed replied with a lot of good info ... other's experiences/advice and my research played a big part in making our cruise to Mex Riviera fantastic! Now I need to start working on Alaska plans :p

So don't get overwhelmed, stick w/ it :D when you finish your wonderful cruise, you will know all your research was worth it.

• Administrators
Sorry, I am a newbie. I know you will all say..read the boards, which I have, but I still have questions. I also have the Fodor's 2009 Alaska and the Alaska by Cruise Ship and am reading those as well.

Hubby and I are taking HAL cruise tour #19 this May. We are a younger couple and active and would like to see and do as much as we possibly can. There is so much to see and do..as well as read on these boards that I am reaching the saturation point and confusing myself even more.

Ports of call include..

Ketchikan 7a-3p

Skagway 7a-9p

Hotel Alyeska - 2 nights

Anchorage - 1 night

Denali - 2 nights

Fairbanks - 1 night

• If possible, on this itinerary, I'd try to flightsee Misty Fjords (Ketchikan) or Denali

• Want wildlife - would love to see bears - even take tour to Katmai or Brooks Falls, but not sure if in "season" May 17-30. That's early from everything I've learned about bear viewing (and to be honest, we figured out that a cruise tour wouldn't really let us do bear viewing the way we want to, and which seems to be your way, at Katmai/Brooks, maybe McNeil)

• Good places to eat in each port? We loved the Twisted Fish in Juneau

• Cruise ship excursions vs independent - any good indies? There are dozens of recommendations here -- Chilkoot in Skagway, Harv & Marv, Captain Larry (both Juneau), the Bering Strait fishing vessel (from Deadliest Catch -- in Ketchikan)

• HAL auto adds gratuities to our tab, cant we use envelopes like other lines? I have read the auto tips do not encourage staff to care as much and service is lacking. Leave the tips in place. If you find during your cruise that your unbelievable HAL crew is lacking, go visit the service desk and remove them. What you have "read" is incorrect on ANY line in our experience -- autotips just prevent the hard-working and dedicated crew from being scr**ed by passengers who flat don't want to tip, and skip out on dinner on the last night, and duck their steward (traditional envelope tipping behavior).

Help!

My comments are in red above -- hope they help.

Ports of call include..

Ketchikan 7a-3p

Skagway 7a-9p

Hotel Alyeska - 2 nights

Anchorage - 1 night

Denali - 2 nights

Fairbanks - 1 night

• Want wildlife - would love to see bears - even take tour to Katmai or Brooks Falls, but not sure if in "season" May 17-30.
  • HAL auto adds gratuities to our tab, cant we use envelopes like other lines? I have read the auto tips do not encourage staff to care as much and service is lacking.

Help!

As for bear viewing, I was in Alaska last year from May 20-29. We saw numerous black bears in Seward, and we saw about 12 Grizzlies in Denali. It really all depends on the weather, and when the snow beings to melt to determine when the bears will start appearing.

May I ask 2 things?

1. Why did you select a cruise tour as opposed to a cruise + independent land tour? IMO, young, active folks who want to maximize their time are going to get a lot more out of a cruise + independent land tour.

2. Why did you select this particular cruisetour? I think there are better options. The cruise portion looks very short. I personally see 2 nights at Alyeska as a waste. You're also missing out on Seward.

My intent is not to be critical, but just to play devil's advocate. Alaska can be very complicated to plan, and not all AK experiences are created equal.

Ports of call include..

Ketchikan 7a-3p

Skagway 7a-9p

Hotel Alyeska - 2 nights

Anchorage - 1 night

Denali - 2 nights

Fairbanks - 1 night

Help!

I'd do flightseeing in Juneau after whale watching with Harv & Marv or in Ketchikan (Island Wings.)

We went to Alaska the first time in May and I was disappointed that it wasn't bear season. We saw very few bears and all from pretty far away. Our 2008 trip was in August so that we could do the flightseeing to see bears catching salmon. We used Island Wings to get to Traitors Cove. It was worth it!

Places to eat: In Anchorage, don't miss Glacier Brewhouse!

I totally agree with "GMoney"'s post about independent travel. We are in our 50's and always do our land portion independently. Can do what we want when we want and stay for the time we want. The planning is more than half the fun of all of this and in your planning you will find that you will get addicted to "cruise critic" and turn into an addict like some of the rest of us. You can notice in my signature below that all 3 times we have been to Alaska we have done it independently including a 10 day land only done independently staying at one really nice Marriott Residence Inn and the rest B & B's which we really enjoyed the experience.

Research independent travel. You will be glad you did.

As for bear viewing, I was in Alaska last year from May 20-29. We saw numerous black bears in Seward, and we saw about 12 Grizzlies in Denali. It really all depends on the weather, and when the snow beings to melt to determine when the bears will start appearing.

If you don't mind me asking, where abouts did you see the black bears in Seward?

If you don't mind me asking, where abouts did you see the black bears in Seward?

We actually got lucky and saw a black bear, and her two cubs cross the street. Not too far away from downtown Seward actually. Right off of Seward hwy, there's a road called Nash road. It brings you around to the other side of Resurrection Bay. We also saw a bunch of moose on this road as well. Also by Exit Glacier we saw two on different days.

Picture 156

there's one of the pics of the cubs crossing the road.

I also suggest you consider GMoney's post. With your priorities you are missing out on a significant hot spot, Seward for varied wildlife. I too, would not consider being in Alyeska without a car for 2 days. You are greatly limited and then have to waste time for tour operator schedules.

I am assuming this includes the Tundra Wilderness tour?? Again with your wildlife priority, I would use the time there to also book the shuttle bus to Toklat and make the trip in twice, you have a very good chance of bear sightings.

There is excellent flightseeing all over Alaska, depends what you are looking for?? I give an edge to glacier helicopter landings. :)

Sorry, but service is not "lacking" on HAL. Not sure what you are expecting?? But keep in mind this is mass market and you will have an excellent time with this wonderful cruiseline.

May I ask 2 things?

1. Why did you select a cruise tour as opposed to a cruise + independent land tour? IMO, young, active folks who want to maximize their time are going to get a lot more out of a cruise + independent land tour.

2. Why did you select this particular cruisetour? I think there are better options. The cruise portion looks very short. I personally see 2 nights at Alyeska as a waste. You're also missing out on Seward.

My intent is not to be critical, but just to play devil's advocate. Alaska can be very complicated to plan, and not all AK experiences are created equal.

The OP is on a 7-night northbound cruise to Alaska. That's the only way to go to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway - and end up in the interior.

The OP is on a 7-night northbound cruise to Alaska. That's the only way to go to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway - and end up in the interior.

Hi Nancy - Not sure I understand your comment. It may be the "only" way to go on that particular HAL cruisetour, but it certainly isn't the only way to cruise one way to Alaska. Personally, I prefer a cruise that includes another stop in addition to Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau - like Sitka or ISP. Also, maybe there's a glacier stop and the OP just didn't list it?

Hi Nancy - Not sure I understand your comment. It may be the "only" way to go on that particular HAL cruisetour, but it certainly isn't the only way to cruise one way to Alaska. Personally, I prefer a cruise that includes another stop in addition to Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau - like Sitka or ISP. Also, maybe there's a glacier stop and the OP just didn't list it?

You commented that "the cruise portion looks very short." I said she is on a 7-night cruise, because there are no short HAL cruises that hit only those 3 port towns and nothing else. The only HAL cruisetours with a short cruise portion leave or join the ship in Skagway, before or after a land trip that goes through the Klondike.

The OP listed only the port towns, and she is also going to Glacier Bay and College Fjord. How do I know, you ask? Because the only one-way cruises on HAL either go to 4 ports/1 glacier or 3 ports/2 glaciers. The Statendam/Veendam go to Skagway only on northbound cruises.

Having done both the 3/2 and 4/1 - I also prefer more port towns. :)

Denali - The park has an 8 hour bus ride that takes you as far as you can go into the park. If you want to see the park take it.

Depending on what you like you can spend an hour or two at the park headquarters. I would do that when you first get there or as you are leaving. Use this to fill in a little time.

NancyIL is correct, I only listed port towns. We are cruising Glacier Bay and College Fiords on 2 other at sea days.

Ah. That makes a big difference. My questions still stand though, but I guess they will go unanswered. :)

11:30 AM DEPARTURE

Alaska's #1 Wildlife & Glacier Cruise. Enjoy our most popular tour cruising the vast beauty of Kenai Fjords National Park!

WILDLIFE PASS! Book this tour ONLINE and get a FREE pass to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center! (online bookings only)

INTERNET SPECIAL >>> Book online and get a FREE pass to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center with this tour. In addition to incredible marine wildlife, see all of the land mammals you came to see - bears, caribou, moose, muskox and more - in natural settings.

Adults $139 / Children (2-11) $69.50

(plus tax and fees)

1-877-777-4051 Kenai Fjords Tours

This is the one we took and really enjoyed it. Wasn't overly long like the 9 hour.

Hope this helps.

• Administrators
NancyIL is correct, I only listed port towns. We are cruising Glacier Bay and College Fiords on 2 other at sea days.

Can anyone recommend a good Kenai National Park cruise out of Seward?

We took the 9 hour tour to Northwestern Glacier and really enjoyed it -- it was one of the most spectacular days of our trip for scenery, plus we were lucky with wildlife viewing as well, and had wonderful weather. There are some pictures in the Seward album linked in my signature.

We actually got lucky and saw a black bear, and her two cubs cross the street. Not too far away from downtown Seward actually. Right off of Seward hwy, there's a road called Nash road. It brings you around to the other side of Resurrection Bay. We also saw a bunch of moose on this road as well. Also by Exit Glacier we saw two on different days.

Picture 156

there's one of the pics of the cubs crossing the road.

Thanks for the picture. Oh my, guess I will have to keep an eye open for the bears next time I am in Seward. :)

First off, I'm sorry your overwhlemed. Alaska is alot to soak in and plan when there's so much to see and do. My hubby and I are in our early 30's, and being young and active want to see and do everything too! Totally relate. Of course, totally unrealistic. ;) But since we have similar interests, I'll just share our plans and who we used for our tours. I highly recommend them. We used independent tour companies for all ports, because it not only saves you money, but is more personalized. And lord knows, the excursions for Alaska are very expensive already, so every dollar you save counts for this trip. We went with companies that were highly recommended all over these boards, and so far, have had great experiences in using them. No complaints yet.

Skagway - We are doing a 7 hour tour, yes it's a long one, but combines alot of the popular things to do in Skagway...all in one tour. I like that idea. It combines one of the most beautiful, scenic train rides in the world...seeing the Yukon / Whitepass by Railway, then makes a stop at Emerald Lake (which is supposed to be very pretty, nice addition), then adds a dog -sled ride as an option, meeting musher dogs at the end of your tour for an addtional cost. We used "Chilkoot Chaters", Kathy (Capt. Larry's wife) makes all the bookings. They respond pretty quickly by email. They were actually getting some R&R in Hawaii when I emailed, and still responded to me. Kathy said they're back now, so email her! WWW.CHILKOOTCHARTERS.COM.

Juneau - We are doing a 3 hour whale watching/ wildlife tour with "Harv and Marv". WWW.HARVANDMARVS.COM It also includes a stop at the end of the tour at Mendenhall Glacier. They only stop for 15 mintues, but will leave you to explore if you want to stay longer. You can pick up a shuttle or a taxi from there to take back to the cruise port. Shuttles are $7/pp to get back, but lines may be long, so allow ample time to get back to the ship. It can take an hour waiting in lines sometimes. Eileen (the wife) makes all the bookings. They will also personalize your tour based on the wildlife you'd like to see. They are out of the office until Jan. 13th, so it may be a few days before she return emails you...but don't worry, she WILL get back to you. They are really nice people.

Ketchikan - We are doing the "Bering Sea Crab Boat" tour as seen on the Discovery Channel's show "Deadliest Catch" in Season 2. My hubby is a huge fan of the show, so of course I had to do this one for him. It was actually rated the #1 thing to do in Ketchikan on Trip Advisor (www.tripadvisor.com). I've found Trip Advisor to also be a great resource too. But the crab boat tour is 3 hours, and they demonstrate their jobs (one of the most dangerous in the world), and pull wildlife out of the waters (like crab, fish, octopus) and you can hold them, touch them, etc. Pretty interesting, and my hubby is happy. ;) I booked directly through the boat, rather than using the cruiseline at WWW.56DEGREESNORTH.COM

If the crab boat tour doesn't interest you, the other popular thing to do in Ketchikan is seeing the "Misty Fjords" by float plane. Island Wings (http://WWW.ISLANDWINGS.COM) is supposed to do a great job. The misty fjords are so big, it is highly recommended to do it by plane. You will see more, and it is very scenic with waterfalls, etc. Very pretty.

But these are the most popular things in these ports that alot of people do. Hope this helps!

Alaska has taken a good deal of research - We too are young (31) and like to be active. Here is what we are doing, maybe it will help you out some.

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords flightseeing with Michelle from Island Wings. I was also very interested in a Orca Cove kayak trip with southeast sea kayaks (think that is the company name) but flightseeing took the edge here. Have also heard good things about the bering sea boat tour but that wasn't as appealing to us personally but could be a good backup in case weather causes our flight to be cancelled.

Juneau - Whale watching with Harv & Marv. Chose them based on good reviews and small boat/group size. I hate fighting a giant group of cruisers to take photos, see things etc. Have also heard good things about Orca but didn't choose them based on larger boat/group. Also doing the Helicopter flight and extended glacier trek with Northstar. This excursion is a bank buster but we are so looking forward to it!!! It is 5 hours - 3 are for the trekking on the glacier. If your cruise schedule permits, I would also check into Tracy Arm with adventure bound here. Our cruise schedule didn't make this excursion possible.

Skagway - rented a car from Avis and using Murray's guide to drive to Emerald Lake. The train is highly recommended and may be even better scenary but again, we can avoid a huge crowd of cruisers and make our own schedule. I love the flexibility.

On the land portion, we are doing the following:

Whittier - We are taking the Wilderness Explorer, 6 hr boat tour with prince william sound tours out of Whittier. Good reviews and a coupon in toursaver.

Seward - Kenai Fjords National Park Tour, 6 hrs by boat. Loved the looks of the 9 hr Northwestern tour but my husband sometimes gets seasick and 9 hours is a long ride. Also seeing Exit Glacier while here and will plan to hike around.

Talkeetna - Grande Denali flight with glacier landing through Talkeetna Air Taxi.

Denali - Taking the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. Planning to do some white water rafting but haven't chosen a company yet.

Hope this helps with some ideas!! Happy Planning!

Denali - The park has an 8 hour bus ride that takes you as far as you can go into the park. If you want to see the park take it.

Depending on what you like you can spend an hour or two at the park headquarters. I would do that when you first get there or as you are leaving. Use this to fill in a little time.

No this is not correct. Wonder Lake can run over 11 hours. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/destinations.htm

GMoney - to answer your questions -

We chose the cruise tour because we wanted to experience the railroad for a large portion of the transportation and also were told how expensive everything was to do on your own. Whether it was a good decision or not, it is done and we are going to make the most of it and can always come back again.

As others mentioned, the cruise portion is a 7 day cruise and to us, does not seem like a short trip. I only listed the ports. Seeing as this is our 2nd cruise, the first being a 3 day, a 7 day cruise doesnt seem as short as what we have already been on.

Travel Jen and MedCruiseplanner - a HUGE THANK YOU to you both. Yoy have confirmed a few things we were thinking of doing - Harv & Marv and Kenai Fjords trip. Also gave us some new ideas like the White pass train and Crab Boat. We are huge fans of the show and have considered doing this one as well. I will be sure to check out TripAdvisor as well.

Archived