Celebrity-not selling many cabins sold recently

stromer

They quote you the upgrade price. In our experiences, it's never been a barter/offer type system. They appear to have a price sheet of upgrades from one category to another for each sailing. And I believe the prices are determined by various factors, such as length of sailing, number of cabins available in a given category, etc. I don't believe the upgrade prices are standard across-the-board.

Thanks - that's great info for future reference. :)

If it helps any, I asked to be put on an upgrade list at the pier. I was #1 on the list. I got a call the first night at 9 PM (while I was at dinner) offering me an upgrade to a CC for $200/pp, or the Royal Suite for $7000! Guess which one I took? It wasn't a huge upgrade from my balcony cabin, but enough bigger and with a few extra perks to make it worthwhile to me.

It turned out that our new cabin was right above the Royal Suite on Deck 6--and we could look right down onto the balcony. ONE time in 14 days I saw someone on the balcony--and I was on mine a lot--I think maybe a visiting performer stayed there one night. Other than that it sat empty. And the cabin we left was right above us, and that was great because it was empty the whole cruise and we never heard one bit of noise! Now, you'd think maybe they'd offer it to someone in an inside or ocean view cabin, just for brownie points or a small upgrade fee--I am sure SOMEone would have liked that cabin, but nope! Too much trouble, I guess. . .

If it helps any, I asked to be put on an upgrade list at the pier. I was #1 on the list. I got a call the first night at 9 PM (while I was at dinner) offering me an upgrade to a CC for $200/pp, or the Royal Suite for $7000! Guess which one I took? It wasn't a huge upgrade from my balcony cabin, but enough bigger and with a few extra perks to make it worthwhile to me.

It turned out that our new cabin was right above the Royal Suite on Deck 6--and we could look right down onto the balcony. ONE time in 14 days I saw someone on the balcony--and I was on mine a lot--I think maybe a visiting performer stayed there one night. Other than that it sat empty. And the cabin we left was right above us, and that was great because it was empty the whole cruise and we never heard one bit of noise! Now, you'd think maybe they'd offer it to someone in an inside or ocean view cabin, just for brownie points or a small upgrade fee--I am sure SOMEone would have liked that cabin, but nope! Too much trouble, I guess. . .

Great you were upgraded.....do you think the improved amenities were worth the cost?

If it was the amenities alone, no. But believe it or not, the extra 21 sq. ft., which is more than 10%, really made a difference to us. We felt so squished in the regular verandah cabin--and the CC was just enough larger that we were comfortable for the 14 day cruise.

Then we missed a port and they gave us a $250 OBC which helped a lot!

I'm sure to some people it would not be worth the money, but to us it was. We had gotten a really cheap fare to begin with (a guarantee verandah) and I had been prepared to pay about that much if the opportunity presented itself. The final fares on the website before sailing showed about a $600/pp difference between the two categories.

Cathy

If it was the amenities alone, no. But believe it or not, the extra 21 sq. ft., which is more than 10%, really made a difference to us. We felt so squished in the regular verandah cabin--and the CC was just enough larger that we were comfortable for the 14 day cruise.

I missed that fact in your first post you were on a 14-day cruise, so thanks for pointing that out again in your recent post. I had just assumed you were on a 7-night cruise, but since it was 14-nights, that puts your upgrade fee much more into perspective and demonstrates the value.

Our upgrade charges on previous cruises have been as follows (prices are cabin total for two passengers).

7-night Concierge to Sky Suite for $400.

14-night Concierge to Celebrity Suite for $700

12-night Sky Suite to Royal Suite for $1500

As I said earlier, always book the accommodation type you'd be content sailing in because onboard upgrades are never guaranteed to be a sure thing.

I missed that fact in your first post you were on a 14-day cruise, so thanks for pointing that out again in your recent post. I had just assumed you were on a 7-night cruise, but since it was 14-nights, that puts your upgrade fee much more into perspective and demonstrates the value.

Our upgrade charges on previous cruises have been as follows (prices are cabin total for two passengers).

7-night Concierge to Sky Suite for $400.

14-night Concierge to Celebrity Suite for $700

12-night Sky Suite to Royal Suite for $1500

As I said earlier, always book the accommodation type you'd be content sailing in because onboard upgrades are never guaranteed to be a sure thing.

We had a great upgrade on RCCL...Canadian Airlines went bankrupt at midnight before we flew out on Air Canada; needless to say, half the ship had no flights. We requested (strongly demanded) another accommodation (dirty and much used verandah cabin on a 2 yr old ship). They offered us the Royal Suite! Free!! No qualms accepting that one.

The only way I know is if you have a specifc cabin number in mind- you can input that at the top of the page where they show current cabins available by category. If it is available, it will populate and give you the price.

If it is booked, it will show as unavailable.

I just checked prices again for our 5/09 cruise.. ours is still higher than the day we booked (the day the new schedule came out).. and cat 2C (which my in laws are in) is now completelly sold out....

Still holding out hope for an upgrade to RS... A girl can dream.

Hi Stromer !

While the entire Cruise industry (and most other industries) are experiencing a downturn right now, I feel that the South America itineraries are one of the very weak points. I also expect to see a fair amount of slowness in Alaska and possibly Europe, at least for 2009. South America is often a concern, especially now.... as all of the 2009 itineraries start in one port and end in another. This means expensive airfares, (unless you can get a good rate from Celebrity) something not at all welcome.

As for your hopes of getting an upgrade, its anyone's guess. Celebrity often finds a way to fill the ship, via Happy Hour's and such. The 2/1 sailing is on Happy Hour this coming Tuesday.

Enjoy your Cruise !

What is Happy Hour? I do not know about that.

Archived