Poll: Tipping Luggage Porters in Port of Miami

Gonzo70

Do you tip the porters at Port of Miami for taking your luggage?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip the porters at Port of Miami for taking your luggage?

• No - I do not tip them.
    • Yes - I tip about $1 per bag or less.
    • Yes - I tip over $1 per bag.

The Port of Miami has a sign saying that there is no need to tip the porters that take your checked luggage from you. Do you tip the porters? Feel free to add a comment as to why you do/don't tip.

I did last year and they happily took it.

Oh, I am sure 99% of them would happily take it. I just kind of feel that most people are tipping the porters out of fear their luggage won't arrive if they don't or because of a misconception that the porters work primarily for tips. My understanding is that they earn very nice salaries and benefits (without any tips being factored in) and there are signs at the port saying no need to tip them, but for some reason most people do tip them.

Wow,

I am surprised by the poll results so far. I did think the majority would report tipping, but I am shocked that over 97% (as of now) are reporting tipping.

I am going to create a second poll to obtain reasons that people tip the porters.

We cruised out of FLL over Christmas, and we took our bags within literally 5 feet of the spot where they were to be dropped off. A porter jumped in to help, and then basically demanded a tip, and then complained that we didn't tip him more. Needless to say, this isn't the way I had hoped to start our vacation.

We cruised out of FLL over Christmas, and we took our bags within literally 5 feet of the spot where they were to be dropped off. A porter jumped in to help, and then basically demanded a tip, and then complained that we didn't tip him more. Needless to say, this isn't the way I had hoped to start our vacation.

I hate that! I gladly tip anyone who actually handles my bags. However, when they jump in at the last second, and with their hand out, that grinds me. :mad:

Gonzo; I do believe that many folks tip out of fear their bags may mysteriously disappear, or get damaged. :(

The Port of Miami has a sign saying that there is no need to tip the porters that take your checked luggage from you. Do you tip the porters? Feel free to add a comment as to why you do/don't tip.

I have never seen that sign. My guess is that the porters ditched it! :rolleyes:

As Alansfreed stated, we sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale last January, pulled up by cab, got our bags out of the back of the cab's trunk, turned and handed it to the porters right there with thousands of pieces of luggage sitting 5 feet from where I was standing and one of the porters said, "If you plan to tip the porter, now would be the time." And so I did. What was I going to say?

Now, I always tip the porters, but I didn't like the way they asked for it. It was kind of like extortion.

We're sailing out of Maimi in a few weeks and, yes, I will tip the porter.

Tim

I tip every person who gives me service regardless of how much they get paid. DW and I usually have three bags to check, plus one carry-on that contains my cpap equipment. I will tip the shuttle driver because he loads our luggage and then takes it off. The porter is next because they pick it up from the shuttle van and handle it from there. I'll tip the taxi driver who picks us up from the port and delivers us to the correct airline door. If I feel the service on the ship is above standard, then I'll tip above standard. I even give a favorite bartender a seperate tip. I tip the tour guides on excursions also. I'm on vacation and these people are helping me enjoy it all the more.

I have never seen that sign. My guess is that the porters ditched it! :rolleyes:

It was there (and rather visible) when I sailed from Port of Miami April '08. I will be back at the port this Friday, so I will see if it is still there. I would imagine it is, as the longshoreman are paid very well (even if they receive zero tips all year). I will report back if the sign is still up when I return! :D

I tip every person who gives me service regardless of how much they get paid.

Do you tip a bus driver when you use public transportation?

Do you tip your doctor after a physical? Your dentist?

Do you tip the hostess at a restaurant?

I am all for tipping people who provide service and who's salary is dependent on tips. I always tip my waitresses/waiters well at restaurants on land (unless they provide poor service) and on every cruise so far I have tipped my steward and waiters more than the recommended amount. I just am not a big fan of tipping people who already are being compensated by a full salary for the service they are providing (unless they do something extra for you that extends beyond their regular job duties).

I answered yes i tip over 1$ per bag because the porters always hint that my bags may get lost if I don't.:(

I sure hope someone at POM is reading this! The threats need to stop!!

Edited by iluvkst

I hate that! I gladly tip anyone who actually handles my bags. However' date=' when they jump in at the last second, and with their hand out, that grinds me. :mad:([/quote']

Just to add an opposite story to the one I posted earlier... we sailed out of Seattle in the summer of '07, and we parked in the parking garage. There were people there who literally unloaded our trunk into a trailer to take our baggage to the ship. The service was incredible.

I handed over some money to tip the driver when he dropped us off at the dock, and he literally seemed taken aback by the fact that I was tipping him. He honestly had no expectation of receiving a tip, and was surprised and grateful when I gave it to him.

Do you tip a bus driver when you use public transportation?

Do you tip your doctor after a physical? Your dentist?

Do you tip the hostess at a restaurant?

I live in a small town. No public transportation. Never see a hostess at Burger King. The small restaurants are usually self seating. Maybe the owner will help you find a table sometimes. A doctor and dentist are not performing a 'service' IMHO. Ues, I do give the garbage men and newspaper delivery person a cash Christmas gift. No to mailmen because I have a post office box and never see them. I tip the woman who has been cutting my hair for the past 20 years.

We just sailed out of the POM on Dec 21st and didn't see any sign. The porter who took our bags said "this is the last time you will see me so if you are going to tip, do it now" - I laughed, actually.That's the boldest I've heard - we have always tipped them regardless, I sure don't want to haul those heavy bags more than I have to.

This has nothing to do with POM, but when we sailed out of Dover, England, last May ... I went to tip the porter and he smiled and said to me, "Oh, thank you, but it has already been taken care of." Then, he proceded to make small talk with us as we entered the terminal.

It was a wonderful start to a wonderful trip. :)

Very refreshing as the US porters are so overly agressive.

~d

It was there (and rather visible) when I sailed from Port of Miami April '08. I will be back at the port this Friday, so I will see if it is still there. I would imagine it is, as the longshoreman are paid very well (even if they receive zero tips all year). I will report back if the sign is still up when I return! :D

Have an awesome cruise, and by all means, report back!

If you receive something and are not charged for it, then a tip is the "proper" thing to do. So many times we read in these boards and elsewhere how many people feel they are owed something, so they do not tip and often go out of their way to make sure they do not have to. I am glad I do not have to lug my baggage at MIA or anywhere else. If I can get out of doing it for a few dollars, it is worth the price.

I tip the porters for three reasons:

• I would like to see my luggage again.:)
  • I'm glad I don't have their job, and grateful they are there to take care of the luggage for us.
  • We always have edocs, and the porters usually write out the luggage tags for us. They do it happily, too. No sighs or snarls, so far.

Lisa