Out of the way joints

jabbott

We are headed to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau in December and a group of us want to hire a car/van to get us off the beaten path. Can anyone recommend a bar/restaurant that the tourists don't necessarily go? Somewhere to really enjoy the island lifestyle?

When we were in Cozumel a few years ago, we went to Bob Marley's bar on the south end of the island and everyone's still talking about it!

Any suggestions?

Jill

We just returned from 10 days in St Thomas. Two places we found that were "local" places were Sharkeys and Shipwreck Lounge. Both are within walking distance of Havensight Mall. Sharkeys is located above Wendys and Shipwreck Lounge is located in the strip mall across from Havensight Mall. I preferred Sharkey's because it was so quiet compared to the tourists locations.

Enjoy!

If you are with a group and just looking for a nice, fun beach bar where you can hang out, have a good time - I'd say Coco Joes at Morningstar Beach or perhaps the little beach bar at Secret Harbor. They are both at hotels but not the typical cruise passenger tour beaches.

--Islander

Most ofthe places that the locals go to eat aren't really open until after most of the cruise ships are gone. One of my favorite places to go and eat a fine meal and enjoy a nice view is at Philips on the North side. It looks really dingy on the outside. The parking is horrible, your basicly clinging between the mountain and the roadside. But the dining area is wonderful,the view of the outer islands is outstanding, the service is warm, friendly and top notch. The food is wonderful and huge portions. The chef comes out to see if everything was ok. There usually are only two or three tables full in an evening but the atmosphere is great. They start serving dinner around 6pm.

Another one of my favs is the Caribbean Steakhouse and Saloon. Wonderful food, presents well from the outside and the view of the harbor and boat docks is charming esp around sunset. It's located in Redhook with plenty of parking under the building. It's open from 1100am till 4 am. Lots of dancing after 10pm.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Hello Caribbeanblue,

Where is Philips on the Northside? I am familiar with St. Thomas so you can use landmarks, neighborhood names to indicate where its at. Thanks.

Your parking description sounds like Bryans, which is no longer open. Its now called Northdrop.

--Islander

It's not Bryans.... I always wanted to try out Bryans, then it went up for sale, now new owners..... perhaps I'll check it out in the future. Philips is west of there, going toward Fortuna, crown mountain area. I've heard that Bryans was a fun place, hopefully the new owners will do well. I really do enjoy the "out of the mainstream" places.

St. Maarten is tourist driven -- there aren't many bars that we go to on the island that don't draw 'tourists', but usually those that stay-over, for weeks at a time and have been doing so for years, as opposed to those that target and draw the one-day cruise ship people.

I'll start with three recommendations:

1) Visit with Neil Rooney at the Buccaneer Beach Bar. It's close to a beach, with sunsets if you're there that late (or early) and has a good following. Drink Cuban beer! Easy to get to. Very laid back, gets crazy at times. Similar to Sunset Beach Bar, which he used to own, but not a target for cruise ship people. Say hi to Neil.

2) For a great off the beaten (cruiser) track beach bar, consider Ms. B's on Dawn beach. It's very popular, and offers great food and cheap drinks. Great view of St. Barths. Sit under the tent, or get beach chairs and umbrellas and just chill. Say hi to Amanda.

3) Hang out in a parking lot at the Lido Restaurant with a view of smoke and a car dealership across the street, but with great cheap food (chicken and ribs) and $1.00 beers. The bar is about 95% locals, the food about half and half locals and stay-over 'tourists'. Not sure that I've ever seen a cruise ship person there. We ate there 8 times in four weeks last month. Say hi to Martin, the chef.

4) (out of three) More for some local flavor food than anything else, but we love The Jerk, behind the Courthouse and across from the Police Station. Everyone knows where it is. Great Jerk pork and Jerk chicken. Cold beers. A great local place, and you don't even have to leave P'Burg to enjoy it. Try the 'Bullfoot Soup'. Say hello to Dollie and Pam.

gtaylor.........is the Buccaneers Beach bar on the beach in Phillipsburg? We would like to go to Dawn's Beach and then go here before getting back on the boat. Does this sound like the way to logistically do both places?Thanks.

gtaylor.........is the Buccaneers Beach bar on the beach in Phillipsburg? We would like to go to Dawn's Beach and then go here before getting back on the boat. Does this sound like the way to logistically do both places?Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, but I just returned from the Norwegian Star Mexican Riveria Thanksgiving cruise.

I see that kal has answered your question over on the St. Maarten board, and he is correct -- there's quite a distance between Dawn and Buccaneer, which is in the Simpson Bay area, not P'Burg.

Gary

Archived