New ships

J-Hawk

I think you might want to re-read the entirety of the responses you got. What Francesca missed, it looks like JD explained it.

Although he didn't say "Yes" or "No", he did say:

"Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still to be unveiled at a later date." That would answer your first question about the keel laying.

He also said that they "are not yet ready to share details about future itineraries beyond 2010." That, and "Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still to be unveiled at a later date." address your second question about if "there will be paying guests onboard when the ships come home from being built".

They didn't say "I don't know" specifically, but gave you what sounds like as much information as they could come up with. When they say the information is "to be unveiled at a later date" or "not ready to share details", that means that they don't have an answer yet. They shared a lot of information, and answered your question. :rolleyes:

I sent Disney an email,(2020 hindsight a mistake to send it to reservations) and asked if there was any info on the keel laying of the first ship, and if there was any chance there might be a coming home sailing for the transatlantic.

Well, I got everything EXCEPT what I asked for.

Heres what I got:

1/27/09

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your interest in a Disney Cruise Line Vacation!

I am happy to assist you with information regarding our new ships.

At this time, we are not accepting future cruise requests for sailings

on our new ships scheduled for delivery in 2011 and 2012.

We greatly appreciate your understanding. Please visit our website at

www.disneycruise.com in the future for updates on our new cruise ships

and information on when reservation bookings will begin.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further

assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

Francesca

Reservations Department

Disney Cruise Vacations

So I sent a reply. And this is what I got. (Still not thinking about whom it went to)

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your interest in a Disney Cruise Line Vacation!

I would be happy to tell you what we know about the new ships so far.

We will be featuring 2 more ships in the near future!

The 2 yet-to-be-named ships will launch in 2011 and 2012 respectively. They are currently being built in the Meyer Werft shipyard, which is based in Papenburg, Germany.

Similar to our existing ships, the new ships will be a modern interpretation of classic ocean liners of the 1930’s.

They will feature elegant, detailed art deco scrollwork at the bow and will evoke images of the glamour of the golden age of cruising.

Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still to be unveiled at a later date.

There will be 1,250 staterooms on each of the new 122,000-ton cruise liners.

This is significantly larger than the 83,000-ton existing ships and will include two additional decks, expanded passenger capacity, extended guest areas and entertainment venues.

We are still finalizing the designs and will share more details in the future.

We are looking forward to offering a greater variety of itineraries to our guests, but we are not yet ready to share details about future itineraries beyond 2010.

We appreciate your understanding. Please visit our website at www.disneycruise.com in the future for updates on our new cruise ships and information on when reservation bookings will begin.

One way to keep up to date with what’s new and what's news (such as new sailings, keel layings, itineraries, etc.) at Disney Cruise Line is by subscribing to e-mail notification.

In order to subscribe to e-mail notifications from Disney Cruise Line, please log-in to www.disneycruise.com and select My Disney Cruise > My Profile.

Next, click the 'Update' button and scroll down to subscribe to any E-mail Notification Services. Click on 'Save' to retain preferences.

In addition, you may check on our website for special promotions. Please go to www.disneycruise.com > Reservations > Special Offers.

Please fee free to continue to check out our website at www.disneycruise.com for updates, or call our Reservations Department at 800-939-2784 Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST) or Saturday - Sunday 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM (EST).

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

JD

Reservations Department

Disney Cruise Vacations

*If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and phone number on all correspondence.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

This answer did not help me out at all. The 2 questions I had were is there going to be an announcement about the keel laying or the of building of the first new ship?

The second question I had was is there a possibility, that there will be paying guests onboard when the ships come home from being built. I dont remeber if the Magic and the Wonder did which is why I am asking. (I worked for Disney World at the time both the Magic and the Wonder were built and delivered, and have been on both numerous times,)

>Original Message Follows: ------------------------

>8

>

>Message:

>I understand that you will be building 2 new ships in the very near

>future. Will there be an announcement as to the keel laying, or is it

>going to be a surprise?Also, and I know this is fairly far out in the

>timeline, but is there a possibility, that there will be a coming home

>crusie for paying guests? Thank You in Advance, Chris

>

I think you might want to re-read the entirety of the responses you got. What Francesca missed, it looks like JD explained it.

Although he didn't say "Yes" or "No", he did say:

"Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still to be unveiled at a later date." That would answer your first question about the keel laying.

He also said that they "are not yet ready to share details about future itineraries beyond 2010." That, and "Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still to be unveiled at a later date." address your second question about if "there will be paying guests onboard when the ships come home from being built".

They didn't say "I don't know" specifically, but gave you what sounds like as much information as they could come up with. When they say the information is "to be unveiled at a later date" or "not ready to share details", that means that they don't have an answer yet. They shared a lot of information, and answered your question. :rolleyes:

I can see where there would be a difference of opinion, regarding the responses.

First, the questions I asked should have been sent to corporate and not reservations. (My mistake, I even said it in the post) Not sure if you have ever worked for Disney, but I was taught that if you dont know the answer to a question, you either find out or send the question to someone who does. In a later post, I said I called about a cruise we are hoping to take in August, and after talking to the rep for a few minutes, realized she had been with Disney, long enough to know more about whats coming up.When I told her about the resposne, she even said they never should have done that. It should have been fowarded to corporate, or sent a link on whom they should have gone to.

When I asked her the same 2 questions, I actually got some clear answers, in return for info on the web cams at the yard.

The answers are, 1. With the Magic and Wonder, there was a keel laying announcement, and has not heard anything to the contrary with the new ships. 2. She has personally spoken with a lot of past cruisers, who were on the Magic and the Wonder for the coming/home transatlantic, from Italy. Again , she does not see that changing.

With that said, I asked about a keel laying announcement. There is no mention of an announcement in Francescas response, or even an acknowledgemnt that the question was asked. Plus by all accounts, including officers on the Magic and Wonder, the keel laying/first block/whatever you would like to call it is this month.

Second, I did not ask where the ships were traveling to, or when or how long.

What I did ask, was was there a possibility of paying passengers coming home with the ship.Not, can I book now, or how much etc.

The second response I got was the lonnger of the 2. JDs.

If you look at the response, and then look at my questions, youll see a lot of unwanted info(for lack of a better term)

There are comparisons, and ship sizes etc. then way down almost as an after thought is a mention that the specific design plans....later date.

I never asked, where are the theatres, or what restauraunts are going to be on the ship.

The question I did ask, was when are they starting to build. To which neither answered the question.

Disney Dream is one of the rumored names of the new ships possibly originating from the show of the same name, the only show left that premiered on the Magic's maiden voyage. The original shows were Disney Dreams, Hercules the Muse-ical and Voyage of the Ghost Ship.

Disney Dream might be the working name for the ship inside of Disney and it's subject to change... just like the names of the Contemporary Hotel and the Polynesian Hotel are due to be changed as soon as the WDW resort opens. :D

I know that this is with rumor. On our last cruise at the CC party, I even raised my hand and asked Capt. Tom if the "Disney Dreams" would be going to Alaska :D He laughed and said "we do not yet know the Name or the Ports of Call. What I can tell you is that the new ships will be bigger and that DCL listen's to where the guest want to go. Yes we have heard the Hawaii suggestion too, but it takes a looong time to get there and back." So those statements said a lot... I think some of the rumor started to with the hotel towers at DL. They have "The Wonder", "The Magic" & last year added "The Dreams". Someone actually posted a picture last year.

I know that this is with rumor. On our last cruise at the CC party, I even raised my hand and asked Capt. Tom if the "Disney Dreams" would be going to Alaska :D He laughed and said "we do not yet know the Name or the Ports of Call. What I can tell you is that the new ships will be bigger and that DCL listen's to where the guest want to go. Yes we have heard the Hawaii suggestion too, but it takes a looong time to get there and back." So those statements said a lot... I think some of the rumor started to with the hotel towers at DL. They have "The Wonder", "The Magic" & last year added "The Dreams". Someone actually posted a picture last year.

Out of curiosity,would the pic that you are refferring to be the one where the Magic and the Wonder are sailing side by side and the 2 unanamed ships are next to them?

Out of curiosity,would the pic that you are refferring to be the one where the Magic and the Wonder are sailing side by side and the 2 unanamed ships are next to them?

No someone at "the other place" posted a picture of the hotel towers at DL. One tower is named "Wonder" one "Magic" and the new hotel tower they built last year they named "Dreams". This started a buzzzz on the other site.... I know it was a wee bit over a year ago as we cruised DCL last March and it was before that trip.;)

Ok. Got ya. I had seen a pic several times, in various forms, that has an artist rendition of the new ships either by themselves, or with the Magic and the Wonder. I assumed that was what youwere talking about.

No someone at "the other place" posted a picture of the hotel towers at DL. One tower is named "Wonder" one "Magic" and the new hotel tower they built last year they named "Dreams". This started a buzzzz on the other site.... I know it was a wee bit over a year ago as we cruised DCL last March and it was before that trip.;)

It's too bad that they renamed the towers. The tower names were a part of the hotel history. Bonita tower and Granville's steakhouse were named after the wife of the guy that built the hotel. I miss the Monorail Cafe too.

I visited Meyer Werft last september. It was very interesting to watch the construction process. We even got the change to get onboard Celebrity Solstice, which was being finished on the outside dock.

I took a picture of a chart that shows the upcoming constructions at the yard. This might give an idea, what other ships will be built before they start on the Disney ships.

http://picasaweb.google.com/brandis.org/MeyerWerft#5246375321624899170

I visited Meyer Werft last september. It was very interesting to watch the construction process. We even got the change to get onboard Celebrity Solstice, which was being finished on the outside dock.

I took a picture of a chart that shows the upcoming constructions at the yard. This might give an idea, what other ships will be built before they start on the Disney ships.

Thanks for that. it's interesting that the first public conceptual rendering is up there. That might be the finished design.

Also, the board is in English. I wonder why.

Just returned from the Feb 15th sailing of the Wonder. At the Castaway Club event, the cruise director told the group that the build will commence the first week of March 2009. The first ship will be completed in Dec 2010, and will come to the states in Jan 2011. No word on the ship name, etc.

Lizzie

Just returned from the Feb 15th sailing of the Wonder. At the Castaway Club event, the cruise director told the group that the build will commence the first week of March 2009. The first ship will be completed in Dec 2010, and will come to the states in Jan 2011. No word on the ship name, etc.

Lizzie

Interesting.

Wonder if something is slowing the yard down.Or the final design.Just thinking out loud

Thanks for that. it's interesting that the first public conceptual rendering is up there. That might be the finished design.

Also, the board is in English. I wonder why.

Yes, thank you for the pics.

Cant expalin the english, however if you look at the top 3 ships, they are listed from top to bottom heaviest to lightest. Would not want to be on the Bella though, she got yard number 666. Oh well.

• 1 month later...
Other than the names, anything new?

They did a ceremonial cutting of the first plate for the Disney Dream so actual construction is underway.

They announced that the Disney Wonder will be moved to the Port of Los Angeles in 2011 for at least five years.

We have threads on those items around here somewhere...

Archived