Flight to Sydney

wasup254

I am leaving at 1145p from LA...arrive 1-13 at 9:20a..has anyone done this trip at night?

Are you in total night time the whole flight? Or does the sun come up for a bit and go back down?

Sounds silly, but I was just wondering

Thanks

Marlene

While I haven't done this flight, if you take a look at a world daylight map at the time of your departure you'll see that you're basically flying "with" the darkening part of the earth. So I would say yes, it will be darkness most of the flight until a few hours before landing.

Are you in total night time the whole flight? Or does the sun come up for a bit and go back down?
Yes you are. You arrive on the first morning after the start of the night on which you depart. The dates look funny only because of the date line.

Yes you are. You arrive on the first morning after the start of the night on which you depart. The dates look funny only because of the date line.

Wouldn't you actually arrive on the second morning? ie. if you leave LA Monday night you will arrive in Sydney Wednesday morning. Maybe this is what you are saying & I misunderstood.

Wouldn't you actually arrive on the second morning? ie. if you leave LA Monday night you will arrive in Sydney Wednesday morning. Maybe this is what you are saying & I misunderstood.
If you leave LA on Monday night, you do arrive on Wednesday morning. But the sequence of events is this:-
  • Sun sets on Monday evening.
  • Aircraft takes off.
  • Sun rises on Wednesday morning.
  • Aircraft lands.

Tuesday simply doesn't exist. And therefore, it feels like you are simply getting on the aircraft one evening, and getting off the following morning.

I've done this flight. Globaliser is exactly right. And be prepared for some major jet-lag the first day. Our entire party of 5 was fast asleep by 5pm the first day in Australia and woke up at 3am the next morning. After that, it was fine. Then, of course, you get to do the whole thing in reverse.

Archived