Inside Stateroom or Balcony?

AJCruiser31

Hi! I'm going on my third cruise, a 9-day Southern Caribbean cruise, in March. My past two cruises were 3 nights and 5 nights both with inside staterooms. I'm trying to decide if a balcony room would be worth it this time. Can anyone advise? Thanks so much!

I've only had 1 balcony (Miracle, 12/07). While I loved it, there were only 2 sea days on the 7-day cruise. I just didn't think it was "worth" the extra money.

I went back to an inside on Glory in May (again, 2 sea days; 7-day cruise) and had a great time. But then, I'm no balcony snob. I just want a decent cabin. I cruise for the ports, not the cabin.

Anyway, am sailing Southern in May, and booked an "odd" cabin on Victory that is classified as an inside, but it is all the way forward, and actually has a window overlooking a public deck (but the decks are almost never in use). This cruise has NO sea days.

I just cannot justify paying for a balcony when I'll be in port every day. I imagine I'll be so tired that the only ship activities I indulge in will be eating and sleeping.

But for Miracle 12/09, I booked an aft balcony. ONLY because there are 4 sea days on the 7 day cruise.

So, for me, I only plan on booking a balcony if there are at least 3 sea days.

Plenty of people will say, "oh, I just could NEVER sail in an inside." Personally, I love them. Best sleeping ever, and since that's the #1 purpose of a ship's cabin, I'm happy.

Plus, those cheapo inside cabins mean I can sail more often. That is what's most important to me. Others have their own priorities. Just depends on what is most important to you and what sort of budget you have.

Do you sit around much? If so, then you might like your own balcony to do the sitting around on. If not and if it means you can cruise more often in less expensive cabins, then the less expensive cabins might be the way to go. We've only had one balcony ever, and we couldn't use it much due to chain smokers next door. And we don't sit around much anyhow. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are satisfied with your past experiences, keep booking an inside cabin. Because once you book a cabin with a balcony you will never again be happy without one.

Sorry NCtribe fan,

Some of my favorite times on a balcony are the evenings of sea days. You come back to your room after a day in port and have a cocktail or glass of wine before dinner and watch as the ship pulls away from the port. Since my wife takes longer than I to get ready for dinner (don't they all?) I love being out on the veranda with a glass of wine or martini watching the sunset while she is primping. Early mornings coffee in my bathrobe is another of my favorite times, whether you are at sea or watching the tug boats guide the ship into a port. I have met many nice people leaning over the balcony next to mine.

But if you don't know what you are missing, you can be very happy and save a lot of money by booking inside.

I think if you are cruising with someone and want alone time you would like a balcony, me Im cruising with family who doesnt want to sit out on a balcony, so Id be out there alone, and I guess its not my thing either. I like to see out and try often to get a window, but have done insides as well.

If you are satisfied with your past experiences, keep booking an inside cabin. Because once you book a cabin with a balcony you will never again be happy without one.

I respectfully disagree. We've gone from inside to balcony to inside to promenade to balcony. A balcony is a nice bonus to have and it does give you more room to spread out and stay out of the wife's way, but going from having one to not having one was no big deal. I find myself spending more time up on deck without a balcony and more time in the cabin with one and either way is fine by me. The important thing to me is that I'm on a cruise ship.

Personally, I believe it's entirely up to the individual. We love looking out at the water, so for us, we can't be in anything less than an outside. Being "more mature":D, we enjoy spending time in our cabin and for the last several cruises, we've taken, have really enjoyed the "bonus area" which a balcony provides. For younger cruisers or folks who are very active and only use their cabin to sleep/change their clothes...then there isn't anything wrong with booking an inside & saving $$$ in the process.

To each his own. I'd rather go on cruises less often, but in style!;)

Just my 2 cents! We were on the Mariner of the Seas in November. It was kind of last minute so we just booked a an inside thinking we would be fine. We will never do that again! We have always had a window or balcony and maybe we're spoiled, but We all hated it. It felt like we were in a coffin! The kids were literally on top of us and whenever I woke up I was so confused. Is it day or night? Should I get up or try to go back to sleep! This time we got a extended balcony! I really cant wait for this cruise!

Hi there,

This is a just the thread I was hoping to find, but I still need more help with my dilemma. ie. whether to choose a balcony or inside? Cost aside (mind you, the inside suite is close to half the balcony price here with Princess Australia), we have never experienced being closed off and without daylight. On past cruises we have spent a little time each day on the balcony. My husband smokes, so it was on our second cruise that I chose the balcony over the oceanview for this purpose. I admit that I fell in love with the balcony pleasures at the time.

Now we are looking at a 18 night cruise north to the tropics - Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu etc. We will be with a group of friends who smoke/drink and generally spend a lot of the sea days on the pool deck (smoking area). My husband says he could do without his first puff in the morning on the balcony, going on deck for it instead. (Secretly I know he still loves and would prefer the balcony). My concern is partly price (tighter budget this time) , but I'm also concerned about the closed off and possibly experiencing a claustrophobic effect, that a change to an inside suite may have.

I'd like to hear from those who have made the "downgrade" and how you felt about it.

Thanks for reading (and replying if you can help).

Cheers,

Anna

Personally, I'm claustrophobic - went to a friends inside cabin last time and after about 3 minutes was going bonkers from being closed in. I need at least an 'obstructed view'... but now that I've had a balcony on my last cruise I'll figure out a way to get one everytime from now on.

I love those early mornings out there feeling all alone in the world (or, okay, alone with DH!) and also being able to prop the door open at night and listen to the waves... Plus they make for getting great pictures of dolphins and other assorted wild life (like various Coast Guards!) :D

My experience: I've usually been on inside or oceanview/porthole cabins, though we did book a balcony once.

Honestly, what's best depends on what you do on a cruise. For us, the balcony isn't worth that much. Yes, we did sit out on it a couple mornings/evenings the time we had it, and that was nice, but... generally, we're only in our cabin long enough to shower, dress, and sleep. There's just so much else to do that we'd rather be anywhere else in port or on the ship doing it. For us, the cost of a balcony is better spent having wine with dinner, or on more expensive excursions, or shopping, or whatever. I'm sure we'll get one again someday, but it's a low priority.

Conversely, my parents cruise at least a time or two a year, and they do like to spend a lot more quiet time away from the people on the ship, and they do really enjoy (and usually book) a balcony.

So ultimately, I'd say, if you've never had a balcony, give it a try, but overall you need to know yourself and the way you like to cruise/vacation to know if it's worth it to you.

Honestly......it all depends on what you like.....but for me....I love the balcony!!! We only cruise once a year so i feel that I can spend that extra $ on the balcony because it is something that i really love! I used to have the mind set that we really did not spend all that much time in our cabin so i really did not need a balcony cabin....then I splurged once and got the balcony as a surprise for the husband and I will not cruise again without it! It is so nice to come back to the cabin after a long day at the pool or after dinner and the shows or clubs and just relax out there! I can't wait.....am counting down the days!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, with only 2 weeks before our cruise, we called up NCL and decided to upgrade to our first balcony room! We have an aft balcony on deck 8! We felt with a 9 day cruise, a balcony would be worth it. Has anyone had an aft balcony room before? I'm not sure what to expect, so any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Well, with only 2 weeks before our cruise, we called up NCL and decided to upgrade to our first balcony room! We have an aft balcony on deck 8! We felt with a 9 day cruise, a balcony would be worth it. Has anyone had an aft balcony room before? I'm not sure what to expect, so any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Are you talking about a Stern balcony? one actually on the Stern as opposed to an aft which is the direction of the back of the ship.

If so then yes I have had one and they are considered Prime cabins and greatly sought after, I am surprised you found one at this point.

Personally I found the one I had had too much vibration, but that may have been the particular ship, the Summit, which has been known to have Azipod problems which might account for the vibration.

Also of course it is a bit of a hike to most things from there.

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!

I would suggest that if you can afford it, try it and see what you prefer.

You can not take any of our advice to much to heart because we all have different opinions.

I could not cruise without a balcony because I absolutely loved sitting out there each morning and planning my schedule with a cup of coffee in hand. Every single night I woke up for one reason or another and went out to sit and listen to the waves crashing against the ship. The cool evening breeze and the smell of the ocean at night are priceless to me.

You on the other hand may never go on the balcony and it would be a waste of money. The only way to know, is to try it.

It really is a matter of taste more than money, IMHO. I can appreciate a balcony very much------I look off of one at home every day. However, by getting an inside cabin, we get the darkness that allows us to sleep late on vacation. We've found areas on the ships that are great for sitting and getting many of the same benefits as having a balcony. Would I turn a balcony down if I was upgraded to it? Probably not. But we're fine with an inside-----it just get's us out and about that much sooner!

AJCruiser31,

You are going to love the balcony! My first cruise was in a inside cabin then had a window one. I discided to do a balcony and ever since then all I do is a balcony.To me thats the only way to go,the room just feels bigger. I'll be leaving March 20th NCL Sky (just a short getaway). Hope you enjoy your trip.:D

Yeah, an inside on a cruise is better than no cruise at all but once you go balcony it's hard to go back! Our favorite is mid-ship Caribe deck (Princess). Do your homework about the ship so you know what's best, book it and don't look back. It's always been worth the money in our book! :):)

Archived