Passport Renewal

LynnSD

We are doing a British Isles cruise in August; my passport expires in December. Do I need to renew it before I go?

I seem to remember that this became an issue with all the new travel restrictions, but I haven't read anything about it lately.

Thank you for any advice!

We are doing a British Isles cruise in August; my passport expires in December. Do I need to renew it before I go?

I seem to remember that this became an issue with all the new travel restrictions, but I haven't read anything about it lately.

Thank you for any advice!

I believe that your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months past the date of the planned conclusion of your international trip.

Don't wait too long to renew, either. There is another change as of June 1st., the last time there was a change (2 years ago) the back up was horrid. Some people ended up having to cancel their trips as the passport agencies were taking as long as 3 months to process passports.

I realize renewals can be faster, but why take a chance?

Many countries require that the passport be good for six months and many cruise lines require the same thing. Go ahead and do it now rather than later. it will be good for another ten years. When you send it, send it federal express or some other method where you can track it so you know it made it there.

Keith

As the other posters have said, you should renew soon. Also, you have to mail in your passport with new pictures and the application for renewal (you can get that online). Unless your passport is expired, you have to renew by mail, not walk in to a passport office like you do for a new one. Count on it taking up to 6 weeks (which means no traveling out of the country for those 6 weeks since you will not have your passport).

Enjoy your trip.

Archived