Price drops on existing cruise for "new reservations only" - the fine print...

mikeerdas

I was told by RCL that price drops are available "for new reservations only". And I recently noticed that, on RCL's site, just about every sailing and cabin class price has an asterisk next to it:

"* Prices are per person, based on double occupancy, for cruise only on select sailings and stateroom categories. Government taxes and fees are additional. >>>> For new reservations only <<<<"

What gives? Has RCL done away with price drops for existing reservations by locking down everything with asterisk fine print?

Don't forget RC has the right to change their contract at anytime!:D Whether it be a Product, Service or Benefit!!!!!:eek:

Even if the contract doesn't have wording in it to reflect the Change!:)

Happy Cruising!:p;):o

What's the point if you then cancel and rebook, which everyone would do to get big price drops. That's why they honor the reductions IMHO;)

Trust me computers can hold that (cancelled) info. They would have no problem inacting that policy if they chose to do so. Do I think it would be counter productive to their ultimate bottom line? Sure I do! But then again I think many of the changes and/or inacting of policies that they have done lately will be counter productive to their ulitmate bottom line. :D But they have done them anyway. It would not surprise me in the least if they suddenly stopped honoring price drops. :(

Trust me computers can hold that (cancelled) info. They would have no problem inacting that policy if they chose to do so. Do I think it would be counter productive to their ultimate bottom line? Sure I do! But then again I think many of the changes and/or inacting of policies that they have done lately will be counter productive to their ulitmate bottom line. :D But they have done them anyway. It would not surprise me in the least if they suddenly stopped honoring price drops. :(

Just can't see that they would turn away a booking, even if it came from a client that had just cancelled the same cruise. It would be basically saying that RC is willing to alienate the serious cruiser in favor of the first time / infrequent cruiser.

Thanks Sue.

So, has anyone been denied a price drop recently due to the "new reservation" thing?

Yes, about two or three weeks ago our D1 cabin on Mariner around the Horn was offered to "new bookings" for $2500.00 less that what we paid. We called, not realizing at the time about the small print new bookings etc. and they would not give it to us. We are loyal customers who booked early, etc. and it did not leave me with warm, fuzzy feelings:(.

It doesn't make any sense to not allow price drops except for last-minute sales ... otherwise, everyone would just wait for the last minute to book, which keeps RCCL from earning off our deposits. :)

And, again I ask, and your point? :D

The same applies to how they plan to handle OBC (using our OBC before their OBC) - people will wait to book excursions and specialty dining, etc. until they get onboard as well as stop purchasing OBC prior to cruising - both of which keeps RCCL from earning off the $$. I am holding off booking a cruise we are taking in March to wait and see if it comes up as New Bookings Only sale - again keeping RCCL from earning off the full price of the cruise (in this case) for a month or more.

Logic does not seem to always enter into these decisions.

Yes, about two or three weeks ago our D1 cabin on Mariner around the Horn was offered to "new bookings" for $2500.00 less that what we paid. We called, not realizing at the time about the small print new bookings etc. and they would not give it to us. We are loyal customers who booked early, etc. and it did not leave me with warm, fuzzy feelings:(.

Which is precisely why we now book within a month of sailing date. We just got tired of being told "sorry, this price is for new bookings only." Happened to us numerous times. What Royal is now doing is rather than dropping the price of individual stateroom categories (therefore leaving themselves responsible to issue refunds to those who paid a higher price) they are offering category Z's (inside), Y's (outside) or X's (balcony) in which they don't have to refund anyone anything. Smart business move by Royal but not good for the customer.

Oh, I can just see the company line now if/when (perhaps more likely) they decide that this is another "benefit" they need to do away with - "This (not adjusting fares) has always been our policy. We just did not enforce it before now." :eek:;):D

As I said a few weeks ago: just wait until they touch the price drop policy.

It's the year of change. :D

As I said a few weeks ago: just wait until they touch the price drop policy.

It's the year of change. :D

Yep, and I predict that next year will be the "year of change" for RCI top decision making execs (out with the old and in with the new) when they see the results of "the year of change" :D

NCL has it fixed so you cannot cancel and rebook at a lower price. They "flag" your cancellation. Once you book, you are stuck with that price. Some people have said they did get an adjustment but I sure had no luck when my cruise went to half of what I had paid for it. Reason #101 why I won't book a NCL cruise.

Tucker in Texas

Maybe these changes will keep the company afloat. These are the kinds of change some of us experience in our daily lives. Viewing the floats after the Rose parade used to be free. This year it costs $7 per person. McDonald's just took their double cheese burger off their $1 menu. Now they are $1.19 (that's a huge jump) and their free cup of water went for 12 ounces to 8:p

Which is precisely why we now book within a month of sailing date. We just got tired of being told "sorry, this price is for new bookings only." Happened to us numerous times. What Royal is now doing is rather than dropping the price of individual stateroom categories (therefore leaving themselves responsible to issue refunds to those who paid a higher price) they are offering category Z's (inside), Y's (outside) or X's (balcony) in which they don't have to refund anyone anything. Smart business move by Royal but not good for the customer.

Very smart business for RCCL as is the Wow Sales and Sales Events that are for new bookings only. The promo wave site has been missing for awhile so no price drops from that either. Definitely the year of change for RCCL and there will be more changes coming:) Many will book close to sail dates this year to take advantage of good deals.

Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear this. So now after reading this thread I guess I should stop "counting" on the ability to get a lower rate if I find a price drop as we get closer to the cruise. It sounds like many continue to get it, but some don't. What makes the difference? The amount?

NCL has it fixed so you cannot cancel and rebook at a lower price. They "flag" your cancellation. Once you book, you are stuck with that price. Some people have said they did get an adjustment but I sure had no luck when my cruise went to half of what I had paid for it. Reason #101 why I won't book a NCL cruise.

Tucker in Texas

Guess NCL wants you to cancel and book on Carnival or RCCL when you find a better cruise deal on either of the other lines...:D

Very smart business for RCCL as is the Wow Sales and Sales Events that are for new bookings only. The promo wave site has been missing for awhile so no price drops from that either. Definitely the year of change for RCCL and there will be more changes coming:) Many will book close to sail dates this year to take advantage of good deals.

Smart remains to be seen. If very many cruisers start doing what I and others are doing - waiting til last minute to book - that could be a lot of advance dollars that RCI will no longer see or have to use/invest. And the longer people wait to book, the more opportunity to find a better deal on another cruise line (once booked many people stop searching for other vacation options) or even to decide to "wait a bit longer" before taking the cruise altogether. Again revenue loss to RCI.

Only time will tell if these are smart moves on RCI's part or not......

Archived