What to do in San Juan - Help!

J-Hawk

We will be in San Juan next week on the Liberty. The problem is that we do not get into port until 3:00 p.m., which seems really late. We leave at 10 p.m. Is there anything fun to do there other than bar hop and eat? If a bar is really our best bet, which is the best one? Thanks!!

We will be in San Juan next week on the Liberty. The problem is that we do not get into port until 3:00 p.m., which seems really late. We leave at 10 p.m. Is there anything fun to do there other than bar hop and eat? If a bar is really our best bet, which is the best one? Thanks!!

Check out one of the two forts, or both. They are part of the National Parks Service. www.nps.gov

We are planning on trying to get to the San Cristobal fort since it is closer. The forts close either at 4 or 5.

Check out these web sites. http://www.nps.gov/saju/ and

http://www.nps.gov/archive/saju/sancristobal.html

Also, there is an evening walking tour described here:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-night-walking-tour/

And a self guided tour here http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/07/self-guided-walking-tour-of-old-san-juan-part-1/

I have heard good things about being able to safely walk around Old San Juan in the evening.

The two forts in Old San Juan are very interesting and also very big. One can easily spend 1-2 hours at each one depending how much interest you have. They both close at 5PM so if you are interested in seeing them I would get off the ship and make your way there quickly. There is a free trolly bus that makes a loop around the city. One of the stops is right by the piers and it does go up to the forts.

If you want to walk it is not a long distance but it is all up hill on cobble stone streets in the heat. The walk can get to the best of us. From the forts everything is downhill and Old San Juan is really very nice to walk around. And in the evening you won't have to contend with the intense heat that you often find there. If you find a map ahead of time you can plan out a very nice walking tour.

And I vote for El Morro for. Been to both forts there but the view of the bay from El Morro is fantastic. If the weather is good you might see a gaggle of families and school children flying kites on the hill that leads up to the port.

You can catch the free trolley outside the fort, at the bottom of the hill, and take a ride through Old San Juan. Get off when you want and get back on when you want.

DH & I love OSJ. Been there for a day pre-cruise; a day after a cruise and been there for a port of call. Will be there again in less than 2 weeks on Carnival Triumph.

Dianne

DH and I love OSJ. I think El Morro is a great idea, and then just walking around OSJ is great. One of our favorite places is Barrachina's, it has the best pina coladas we have ever had. It is the birthplace of the pina colada so if you like them I would definately recommend a stop there (but the food is just so-so so I wouldn't eat here) Enjoy your time there, I am hoping to spend a day there pre-cruise in a year.

Unless I missed something, if you get into port at 3:00pm, factor in your debarkation time and that the forts close at 6:00pm (yes 6:00pm, not 5:00pm) I don't see that trying to visit both of them would make much sense. Visions of the Clark Griswold family doing the Louvre in National Lampoon's European Vacation immediately spring to mind. Its not really possible to do a whirlwind tour of either fort in my opinion and get much out of it. Both forts are actually quite large and are fascinatingly much different than any fortifications in the states which is why you will want to spend time checking them out. That means probably picking one. El Morro would be a good choice as long as you head there immediately after getting off the ship.

Taking the free trolley that is mentioned may not be a good solution for getting to the fort very fast, unless you maybe happen to be at the pick up spot exactly when it shows up. Been there done that. The trolley times are kind of erratic and you could wait a half hour or more for one to show up, plus tack on the the time it takes the trolley to wend its way up to the fort. We've found in the past that walking often can prove quicker than waiting for the trolley. But it is an uphill walk as mentioned. Maybe grab a cab to El Morro to give you enough time, and then afterward trek back down to the old town at your own pace.

Factoring in your 10:00pm departure, the fact that you need to be at the airport an hour or so before, the time to get there, and that you probably want to eat someplace besides a concourse fast food counter, spend reamining time after El Morro exploring Old San Juan. Lots of stores, retaurants and bars and some interesting architecture if you enjoy that. There's a Coach Outlet in the old town that many think is a Mecca (at least my wife does, LOL). Not knowing your food interests, I think the local PR cuisine is well worth trying. Just do some web surfing (tripadvisor.com is a good source) and you will find lots of dining reviews.

Anyway some leisurely wandering around and a relaxed dinner (or vice versa) followed by an unhurried cab ride to the airport would go a long way to making your return flight a lot less tiring.

Have a great cruise.

Unless I missed something, if you get into port at 3:00pm, factor in your debarkation time and that the forts close at 6:00pm (yes 6:00pm, not 5:00pm) I don't see that trying to visit both of them would make much sense. Visions of the Clark Griswold family doing the Louvre in National Lampoon's European Vacation immediately spring to mind. Its not really possible to do a whirlwind tour of either fort in my opinion and get much out of it. Both forts are actually quite large and are fascinatingly much different than any fortifications in the states which is why you will want to spend time checking them out. That means probably picking one. El Morro would be a good choice as long as you head there immediately after getting off the ship.

Taking the free trolley that is mentioned may not be a good solution for getting to the fort very fast, unless you maybe happen to be at the pick up spot exactly when it shows up. Been there done that. The trolley times are kind of erratic and you could wait a half hour or more for one to show up, plus tack on the the time it takes the trolley to wend its way up to the fort. We've found in the past that walking often can prove quicker than waiting for the trolley. But it is an uphill walk as mentioned. Maybe grab a cab to El Morro to give you enough time, and then afterward trek back down to the old town at your own pace.

Factoring in your 10:00pm departure, the fact that you need to be at the airport an hour or so before, the time to get there, and that you probably want to eat someplace besides a concourse fast food counter, spend reamining time after El Morro exploring Old San Juan. Lots of stores, retaurants and bars and some interesting architecture if you enjoy that. There's a Coach Outlet in the old town that many think is a Mecca (at least my wife does, LOL). Not knowing your food interests, I think the local PR cuisine is well worth trying. Just do some web surfing (tripadvisor.com is a good source) and you will find lots of dining reviews.

Anyway some leisurely wandering around and a relaxed dinner (or vice versa) followed by an unhurried cab ride to the airport would go a long way to making your return flight a lot less tiring.

Have a great cruise.

Their ships leaves at 10PM. They don't have to get to the airport. And they would not let me enter El Morro after 5PM. I tried.

You should just bar hop. Everytime i go i go to this one bar that is straight up the hill in the middle of some square. I usually go with my friends and we always drink all their bottled beers. It has a great view of the boat and the people are really funny and cool,they might try to get you to go to a cock fight. But i have yet to find anything really cool there to do, the forts are cool the first time you see them. You kinda have to make your own fun there! I have fun everytime i go.

..... the view of the bay from El Morro is fantastic. If the weather is good you might see a gaggle of families and school children flying kites on the hill that leads up to the fort.....

Dianne

Why just watch the kids? Hubby has one of the "Parafoil" kites with no sticks or other framework. It stuffs in to a bag about the size of your two fists together and makes a kite with about a 5-foot spread. Wind is reliable, view is beautiful and the Fort makes a great backdrop for some interesting Pics. I'll admit that is probably more appropriate for a 3rd or 4th visit than the first, but it IS fun for us.

There is a beautiful, old cemetery next to the El Morro that is a interesting photo spot with all of the ornate markers. The small developed area close by is not the safest but the cemetery seems safe enough. It closes fairly early but the fence is low enough to view with no trouble.

If you dock just adjacent to Old San Juan it is a very pleasant walk if you bear left and walk along a wide, level paved path that takes you along the base of the old wall around the city. Last month there was a "green" photo exhibition for quite a distance along that walk, and it looks like it is semi-permanent. This path has some small parks and some statues and takes you to the old door to the city which is a good photo op. Depending on when you walk the path you may see a lady feeding the ferel cats. There are a LOT of them that run out of the rocks when she comes by.

If you wish you can enter the city there at the door and walk a "block" straight up the fairly steep hill with some bars and such, to an interesting old church (that has seemingly random hours to be open). The El Convento (I think that is the name) is a hotel that used to be a convent and that is located diagonally from the church. I have heard there is a nice restaurant there, but haven't been there myself.

Walking up the hill to your left (with your back to the bay) on the street beside El Convento will take you to El Morrow. After visiting the fort then you can just walk back down the hill on the same street and you are in the shopping area.

Another alternative is to continue along the path beyond the door to the city and make your way along the base of the old walls to the point that you passed as you sailed in. Makes for a nice,long walk and is away from a lot of the crowds.

Heard great reports from fellow passengers about the Segway tour although we did not do that.

Lots of bars, outside cafes and shops from junk to treasures. Usually some local folks set up near the bottom of the hill. Some fairly nice stuff. Old ladies knitting baby clothes, fish scale jewelery, carvings, sea glass jewelery, lanscape paintings, an old man rolling cigars, etc. Worth a short look even if you don't buy.

Hubby used to work there and we enjoy being back for a few hours from time to time. Hope you enjoy your visit.

You might also want to print out the walking tour of San Juan. It gives you the highlights and was a great source for us. We took a taxi to El Morro and followed the tour from there. BTW, El Morro is definitely a great place! The views are fantastic!

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sanjuan/0323010008.html

Archived