Beijing to Hong Kong - Book now or wait

2travelers

When we were on the Nautica in April last year, we docked in Bangkok at a Container/Navy dock which was not the nicest place to dock but it was better than docking an hour and a half away where the bigger ships need to tie up.

We were on the river and we were about 20 minutes or so from the city centre but not in an area where there were lots of transport etc. Actually, it could have been Klong Toey for all I know.

In Hong Kong we were at Ocean Terminal and in Ho Chi Ming City we were right in the city centre. The same for Singapore but in Kuala Lumpur, again we were at a Container dock, out in the middle of nowhere and it took a good 40 minutes or more to get into the city.

Jennie

Since you have been on an Oceania Asia cruise, are any of the ports of call on you upcoming Azamara Asia cruise the same and if so, is the Azamara cruise docking in the same area as Oceania did? I am asking this as I can find very little information on where the ships will dock at each port for either cruise line.

Kathleen

Klong Toey is considered the preferred port in Bangkok because it is so close to the city.

Whether or not it is "preferred" probably is a matter of opinion:

"Khlong Toei (also Klong Toey, Thai: คลองเตย) is a district in central Bangkok, long known for substandard housing. It is bordered by the Chao Phraya River and contains major port facilities. It is also the name of a major market, though not touristic. The market is served by the Bangkok Metro station Khlong Toei on Rama IV Road."

http://insearchofbangkok.blogsome.co...ong-toey-slum/

Since you have been on an Oceania Asia cruise, are any of the ports of call on you upcoming Azamara Asia cruise the same and if so, is the Azamara cruise docking in the same area as Oceania did? I am asking this as I can find very little information on where the ships will dock at each port for either cruise line.

Kathleen

We are going to completely different ports to our trip last year in April/May. That was a 35 day cruise from Hong Kong to Athens which called into 2 ports in Vietnam, 2 in Thailand including Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur before going on to India, Oman, Egypt, and Jordan.

This time we are going to Shanghai where are docking right up the river on the Bund at the new International Port, Busan, Hiroshima, Osaka, Incheon, Dalien and Tianjin which is the port for Beijing. I think at these other ports we are docking where all the cruise ships dock.

The only one where we are at a Container Port is Hong Kong. We are at Kennedy Town which is on Hong Kong Island. We only found out about this a couple of weeks ago much to our disappointment as the Ocean Terminal is so convenient. The Seabourn Spirit has taken that berth instead. I believe that Azamara hadn't organize themselves early enough and that is the reason they missed out on berthing there.

Jennie

The Seabourn Spirit has taken that berth instead.
This is not the first time a Seabourn ship has taken precedent over an Oceania ship. In April, 2004, while we on the Regatta had to anchor and tender into Monaco (and we had to walk to a bus stop on our own), we saw a Seabourn ship happily docked with (private) vans taking their passengers directly into town. Is this because (1) Seabourn is willing to pay more, (2) Seabourn ships are smaller, (3) first come first served and Seabourn is more diligent in their docking reservation, or (4) purely by luck?

We are going to completely different ports to our trip last year in April/May. That was a 35 day cruise from Hong Kong to Athens which called into 2 ports in Vietnam, 2 in Thailand including Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur before going on to India, Oman, Egypt, and Jordan.

This time we are going to Shanghai where are docking right up the river on the Bund at the new International Port, Busan, Hiroshima, Osaka, Incheon, Dalien and Tianjin which is the port for Beijing. I think at these other ports we are docking where all the cruise ships dock.

The only one where we are at a Container Port is Hong Kong. We are at Kennedy Town which is on Hong Kong Island. We only found out about this a couple of weeks ago much to our disappointment as the Ocean Terminal is so convenient. The Seabourn Spirit has taken that berth instead. I believe that Azamara hadn't organize themselves early enough and that is the reason they missed out on berthing there.

Jennie

Jennie-

Thank you very much for your thoughts and insight...it is appreciated!

Kathleen

Whether or not it is "preferred" probably is a matter of opinion:

"Khlong Toei (also Klong Toey, Thai: คลองเตย) is a district in central Bangkok, long known for substandard housing. It is bordered by the Chao Phraya River and contains major port facilities. It is also the name of a major market, though not touristic. The market is served by the Bangkok Metro station Khlong Toei on Rama IV Road."

http://insearchofbangkok.blogsome.co...ong-toey-slum/

Kathleen,

This is still a preferred port (despite the neighborhood being on the "wrong side of the tracks") as it is closer to Bangkok. Larger ships (like our Diamond Princess ) have to dock in Laem Chabang (container port) which is 100 km from Bangkok. Considering the traffic there, you will be a lot better of in Klong Toei, saving much time for sightseeing instead of transfers. From the sound of it, you could even take the metro and avoid surface traffic altogether, if you so choose.

Kathleen,

This is still a preferred port (despite the neighborhood being on the "wrong side of the tracks") as it is closer to Bangkok. Larger ships (like our Diamond Princess ) have to dock in Laem Chabang (container port) which is 100 km from Bangkok. Considering the traffic there, you will be a lot better of in Klong Toei, saving much time for sightseeing instead of transfers. From the sound of it, you could even take the metro and avoid surface traffic altogether, if you so choose.

There are trade-offs for everything of course. Here is discussion from the Asia board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=879413&highlight=bangkok+port

A nit perhaps, but it does seem that where the ships eventually dock are somewhat glossed over by both Oceania and Azamara (and others I will surmise). Planning for an "on your own" or private tour without knowing the logistics of where one docks could certainly create undue problems.

Kathleen

There are trade-offs for everything of course. Here is discussion from the Asia board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=879413&highlight=bangkok+port

A nit perhaps, but it does seem that where the ships eventually dock are somewhat glossed over by both Oceania and Azamara (and others I will surmise). Planning for an "on your own" or private tour without knowing the logistics of where one docks could certainly create undue problems.

Kathleen

I see what you mean, Kathleen. But the post from the ex-pat is interesting. Still, I think, it is a lot better time-wise to tour from there than from Laem Chebang (sounds like a four hour trip from L.CH.). If you are doing a private tour, the tour operator will find the ship, wherever it docks. If you docked in Laem Chabang a tour "on your own" would seem out of the question (meaning without a local guide) whereas it seems possible from Klong.

Meow,

When I was in Monaco on Seabourn a couple of years ago we docked as close s could be to the terminal, right next to a yacht belonging to some Saudi prince which was about the same size as the Pride. I do think because of Seabourn's size it usually docks in premium spots. Also because the provide free shuttles in every port they must be close to where the buses can approach. As to whether they pay higher fees I do not know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Archived