New Menus

joeyancho

Look..and not a Ranch or Royal Steak to be found..anywhere! :D

I'm really tempted to take a shot at the "pretenders" on this board who have been supporting the slop that RCI has been serving and attacking anyone who dared say otherwise..but that would only reduce me to THEIR level.

Wow, I am truly shocked at your level of disrespect. I have yet to cruise on the Navigator, and I did check out your "cruise portfolio", so apparently you know it all, but that was the most caustic post I think I have ever seen on this board, or any board for that matter, to date.

Update; I have read all of your post on the board, and I guess you are the master of caustic post. Conratulations!!!

Very rude! angry8.gif

Wow, I am truly shocked at your level of disrespect. I have yet to cruise on the Navigator, and I did check out your "cruise portfolio", so apparently you know it all, but that was the most caustic post I think I have ever seen on this board, or any board for that matter, to date.

Very rude! angry8.gif

Obviously, if this is the worst you've seen, you've not been on these boards very long. Stay tuned. If you thought I was rude..wait until you see what's coming from the rah rah's and the self proclamed..busness experts who saw nothing wrong with serving bad food and charging for decent stuff. Things had gotten so bad, that RCI was charging for "premium" hamburgers. HAMBURGERS! I'm not yet certain that has changed....but there's room to be optmistic. ;)

not getting involved in the poo poo here, just wanted to say Thanks to TJ, for the menu sneak peak, they look good. Except, for the lobster/ prime rib night, can't believe they are still trying to pair that together. Everyone at our table and more on our last Grandeur cruise wanted both, causing so much extra running for the wait staff.

I don't really recall the menu from my cruise on the Advernture (2/16/03), but I can say that we were a bit dissapointed with the quality of the food. I'm going on the Serenade in a few weeks (12/4) and look forward to seeing the new menus if they are available to us by then.

Am I right in assuming that the Black Angus top Sirloin is replacing the Royal/Ranch Steak......emm I have never heard of Black Angus top Sirloin....anyone know what it is? Why cant they just have normal Sirloin?

Then maybe I would have a chance of my son eating in the Dining room :)

Liz

codlips :D

Thanks for that...oh my mouth is really watering now....we love Steak...I just have to cross my fingers and hope RCCI can cook it "well done" without ruining a good bit of meat.

My son will be so happy when he hears about this.....it was the one thing on RCCI that really bothered him...not getting meat as we like it...it stopped him going to the dining room on the NOS in Feb. :(

Liz

codlips :D

Thanks for that...oh my mouth is really watering now....we love Steak...I just have to cross my fingers and hope RCCI can cook it "well done" without ruining a good bit of meat.

Liz

Liz, don't worry about how your steak/prime rib will be prepared.

They have three ways of preparing beef on an RCI vessel.

Dry

Burned

Shoeleather

Take your pick!

Bona Petite!

Stretch

Stretch

Thanks for that.....I don't think!! :D

You sure know how to burst a bubble dont you :rolleyes:

At least with the steak being Angus Sirloin there is a good chance of it being edible......oh gawd I hope so...as to be honest I am not over impressed with then new menu......Where is the Chicken Consumme they always serve on the first night....darn it need to go check again!

Liz

Liz, don't worry about how your steak/prime rib will be prepared.

They have three ways of preparing beef on an RCI vessel.

Dry

Burned

Shoeleather

Take your pick!

Bona Petite!

Stretch

That's about the most important thing about these new menus: not only are the menus new, but the food has been dramatically upgraded as well. I believe I heard, to the tune of almost double that which RCI had been paying. Tjukka, not only is seeing the new menus, she's been experiencing them as well...and, from her comments, couldn't be happier! She was one of those who found it impossible to swallow that Ranch Steak..stuff..and, so far, has had nothing but good to say about the new steaks, going so far as to state that they're "as good as those which had been being served at CHOPS, for an addtional 25 dollars!

Tj and I have been good friends for a number of years now, and this is the most enthusiastic I've seen her in response to any food/menu changes. She's also been raving about similar improvements up in the Windjammer.

I view these as the first positive changes at RCI in many years. They go so much against the trend, I'm wondering if someone's employment contract may be up for renewal!?

Regardless of the reason, it's a positive first step towards returning RCI as a quality contender among cruise lines. It'll be good, once again, to be able to discuss RCI's beautiful, thoughtfully designed ships, without warning potential cruisers to be prepared for some horrid food, and maybe, to consider "packing a few lunchs." Let's hope it's not a temporary improvement that reverts to it's previous low levels, once the complaints disappear.

That's about the most important thing about these new menus: not only are the menus new, but the food has been dramatically upgraded as well. I believe I heard, to the tune of almost double that which RCI had been paying. Tjukka, not only is seeing the new menus, she's been experiencing them as well...and, from her comments, couldn't be happier! She was one of those who found it impossible to swallow that Ranch Steak..stuff..and, so far, has had nothing but good to say about the new steaks, going so far as to state that they're "as good as those which had been being served at CHOPS, for an addtional 25 dollars!

Tj and I have been good friends for a number of years now, and this is the most enthusiastic I've seen her in response to any food/menu changes. She's also been raving about similar improvements up in the Windjammer.

I view these as the first positive changes at RCI in many years. They go so much against the trend, I'm wondering if someone's employment contract may be up for renewal!?

Regardless of the reason, it's a positive first step towards returning RCI as a quality contender among cruise lines. It'll be good, once again, to be able to discuss RCI's beautiful, thoughtfully designed ships, without warning potential cruisers to be prepared for some horrid food, and maybe, to consider "packing a few lunchs." Let's hope it's not a temporary improvement that reverts to it's previous low levels, once the complaints disappear.

If this is indeed the case, then my appologies to RCI and also my hats off to them. Just maybe they realized that some of the cost cutting steps they had been doing just wasn't going to float their boat in the long run. I'll refrain from making anymore comments about their food quality until I experience again for myself. Unfortunaltly that will be 2006 at the soonest.

Stretch

"That's about the most important thing about these new menus: not only are the menus new, but the food has been dramatically upgraded as well. I believe I heard, to the tune of almost double that which RCI had been paying. Tjukka, not only is seeing the new menus, she's been experiencing them as well...and, from her comments, couldn't be happier! She was one of those who found it impossible to swallow that Ranch Steak..stuff..and, so far, has had nothing but good to say about the new steaks, going so far as to state that they're "as good as those which had been being served at CHOPS, for an addtional 25 dollars!

Before the advent of nickel and diming, Cruising USED TO BE like being wide awake......and dreaming!

Now..it's just another vacation!!"

The King has spoken. I feel so reassured now. :rolleyes:

Beth

Look..and not a Ranch or Royal Steak to be found..anywhere! :D

I'm really tempted to take a shot at the "pretenders" on this board who have been supporting the slop that RCI has been serving and attacking anyone who dared say otherwise..but that would only reduce me to THEIR level.

Gee, so if you only say you are going to do something while describing it then you are not at "their" level. :rolleyes: Keep putting yourself on the pedestal, you belong on a level away from the rest of us! We appreciate it!:D

jc

not getting involved in the poo poo here, just wanted to say Thanks to TJ, for the menu sneak peak, they look good. Except, for the lobster/ prime rib night, can't believe they are still trying to pair that together. Everyone at our table and more on our last Grandeur cruise wanted both, causing so much extra running for the wait staff.

Gambler,

They have 2 nights with prime rib now.

Tj

Ok, I don't get how new these menu's are. I was on the Mariner in April, and the Explorer in August, and the menu looks the same. I distinctly remember ordering the shrimp ravioli on both cruises. For that matter, it was twice on the Explorer because we were extended 1 day due to Frances so we had the same menu on each Sunday. I could almost pick what I ordered each night. I also remember my son ordering the cold "fruit" soups a couple of nights. So what's so new about them?

Ok, I don't get how new these menu's are. I was on the Mariner in April, and the Explorer in August, and the menu looks the same. I distinctly remember ordering the shrimp ravioli on both cruises. For that matter, it was twice on the Explorer because we were extended 1 day due to Frances so we had the same menu on each Sunday. I could almost pick what I ordered each night. I also remember my son ordering the cold "fruit" soups a couple of nights. So what's so new about them?

Only some of the things are new. the top sirloin but there alot of changes in the menus . they also serve a sorbet inbetween the meals on formal night.they are all new menu's but only a few of the things are new on each night.

Prime rib is 2 nights now

All of the meat is a better quality and different then it was before.

I guess you just like shrimp Ravioli.

Tj

Oh...and she hasn't yet mentioned the VEAL PARMAGIANA with spaghetti..or the pasta bar in the dining room for lunch. and in Windjammer.

Finally, they seem to be really trying. It may not be gourmet fare..but it is said to be tasty anyway..and that's quite novel..for RCI.

Am I right in assuming that the Black Angus top Sirloin is replacing the Royal/Ranch Steak......emm I have never heard of Black Angus top Sirloin....anyone know what it is? Why cant they just have normal Sirloin?

Then maybe I would have a chance of my son eating in the Dining room :)

Liz

Wow, an increase in the quailty of beef would be a real good start for RCL. Black Angus, while of course not Prime but a good cut has been served in steakhouses in Canada for quite some time and is now making its way into the U.S. market i.e. Carls Jr. Black Angus burger- a real artery clogger. How a very good top-sirloin,filet, or prime-rib in the dining room, would effect the patronage of a place like Chops will be very interesting. I cant imagine Chops serving dry aged PRIME meat but something closer to Angus beef.

We were on the Navigator last month with the new menus and the thing that was different from last year is they are advertising for the after diner drinks and wines to go with certin foods. I thought the food was good. Some were great and some better than ok but not great. The clam chowder was the best I have ever had and we live near the ocean. The Mahi mahi was also good. The lamb was tiny and was hungry in a little while. Deserts were great the flowerless chcolate cake was fantastic!

Lexi

I am not here to support anyone or rip anyone.. but I was on Legend of the Seas back in 1998 and the food was phenominal.. some of the best with huge nightly midnight buffets. I went back on RCCL in 2002 and I was disappointed. The food was average at best (steak and ale) make better steaks and they are right about a few other things too.. the food in the windjammer was delporable and the service was no better then Denny's. I did mail a letter to RCCL about this and I did post my review about my experience on this web site...

Now if RCCL is truly trying to change the quality of their food then great .. i would love to try their food again. I think they should implement it fleet wide by the holiday season so they can get their reputation back again. The Ranch Steak is a joke as are many of their other foods.. Yes it may have been yummy .. but so is a spicy chicken from Wendy's.... What you have to remember is that when you eat in the dining room it is supposed to be fine dining... and eventhough RCI permits it.. one should dress appropriately too.. If you went to a restaurant locally that was fine dining.. i am sure you would not be seated or if you were seated you would be in the corner hidden behind a tree. It does not matter that this is a vacation.

Oh...and she hasn't yet mentioned the VEAL PARMAGIANA with spaghetti..or the pasta bar in the dining room for lunch. and in Windjammer.

Finally, they seem to be really trying. It may not be gourmet fare..but it is said to be tasty anyway..and that's quite novel..for RCI.

who is this quack??:p :confused:

Wow, an increase in the quailty of beef would be a real good start for RCL. Black Angus, while of course not Prime but a good cut has been served in steakhouses in Canada for quite some time and is now making its way into the U.S. market i.e. Carls Jr. Black Angus burger- a real artery clogger. How a very good top-sirloin,filet, or prime-rib in the dining room, would effect the patronage of a place like Chops will be very interesting. I cant imagine Chops serving dry aged PRIME meat but something closer to Angus beef.

Just a bit of a quibble. Black Angus is a breed; prime is a grade. Also, Black Angus is not a "cut" of meat. All standard cuts can be made from Black Angus cattle, and it's possible for Black Angus to be graded USDA prime. So, a Black Angus top sirloin is simply a regular top sirloin cut from a Black Angus. It is typically considered a premium grade from a premium breed. One last thing, we've had Black Angus beef in the US for decades. I can remember it being a big deal at least 25 years ago.

In any case, ANY cut of Black Angus would be preferable to the dreaded Ranch "Steak." :D

beachchick

Archived