Celebrity Solstice - Balcony Guarantee.. was this a big mistake?

Youngercruisers

My husband and I booked last week for the Feb 8th sailing and could only get a balcony guarantee. We booked it, and have come to realize... there are some obstructed balconies in some of the lower classes for balconies. We were not interested in CC or aqua class as this would be the first time we are trying Celebrity and chose this cruise for the ship and not the itinerary (we have been to all ports).

I loath the guarantee idea..and nice balcony is extremely important to me, can anyone tell me whether they have had success with the balcony guarantee on the Celebrity Solstice? :confused: or have I simply shot myself in the foot:confused:

Thanks so much!

I don't know anything about Celebrity, but what Id be doing is going online and pretending to book and seeing which balconys show as unbooked. That way I would know what cabins are left that I would be likely to be assigned to? Thats worked well on other cruiselines like RCL.

I did the exact same thing booked the gty and trust me they weren't out there very long. I also was assigned a cabin within about an hour so you might want to check and see if you have been assigned. My feeling is the rate was great considering what it had been for a balcony so I didn't care where it was. Let us know if it has been assigned.

We booked a week ago... nothing assigned yet.

On our past cruises we have always booked balcony accomodation, specifically choosing a cabin, unfortunately the only booking we could get was the balcony guarantee for this cruise.

Interesting enough... I called Celebrity and asked when I would be assigned, they said it is with there revenue department and should be allocated shortly and to keep checking back in the next few days. So one would assume then, the least you pay the crappier the cabin location, I guess I have never heard of a cruiseline admitting that.

Anyway.. fingers & toes crossed.

I booked a balcony guarantee on Summit (after first doing the research and being sure I would be happy with the lowest category if that's what I was assigned) and found out on these boards that once you are assigned a stateroom, you can change if there is anything available in the same category that you would prefer. For instance, we were assigned 8003, right in the front of the ship. We much prefer aft, and so we were easily able to switch to an aft cabin in the same category.

I guess if you HATE your assignment and there is nothing to switch to, you can just pony up the extra bucks for a cabin you like better!

cp

I also booked a balcony guarantee and sure enough, I did get one of those 2C obstructed balconies. They aren't bad though. Here is a picture of one. They call these obstructed because you can't look down at the water. You have to look over a life boat. The floor is about even with the top. Better than the inside I had.

celebrity-solstice044.jpg

Interesting enough... I called Celebrity and asked when I would be assigned, they said it is with there revenue department and should be allocated shortly and to keep checking back in the next few days. So one would assume then, the least you pay the crappier the cabin location, I guess I have never heard of a cruiseline admitting that.

They didn't admit it though, they just said the booking is with the revenue dept. They didnt say "based on what you paid" you will get assigned did they?

Sounds like you really are hating this right off the bat. :confused: Not a good thing to me. Hope you are pleasantly surprised.

It would be logical that as a Balcony Gty. that you would have priority over the inside or oceanview cabins for potential upgrades, but it might depend on how much they paid. Recently I booked a CC GTY for Feb 1 using the Tuesday special because it was the only CC available at that time. I was immediately assigned to an Aqua Class cabin. My initial assignment was in the bow and I easily moved it to one more midship. A very nice surprise and easy process. I would think that if you are assigned 07 you could move only to another 07. I just thought that you might want to hear my experience.

It would be logical that as a Balcony Gty. that you would have priority over the inside or oceanview cabins for potential upgrades, but it might depend on how much they paid. Recently I booked a CC GTY for Feb 1 using the Tuesday special because it was the only CC available at that time. I was immediately assigned to an Aqua Class cabin. My initial assignment was in the bow and I easily moved it to one more midship. A very nice surprise and easy process. I would think that if you are assigned 07 you could move only to another 07. I just thought that you might want to hear my experience.
07's are actual balconies, but are condered ocean views as far as booking.

I don't believe a veranda guarantee would receive this category.

Booked on the Solstice TA, found out that I'm booked in a 2C obstructed view balcony. I see from the picture that we will be level to the top of the lifeboats...therefore not able to look straight down.

For $100/each I can move up to 2B, I assume up one level. just wondering if it is worth it (13 day cruise) and if you can then see over the boats better???

Booked on the Solstice TA, found out that I'm booked in a 2C obstructed view balcony. I see from the picture that we will be level to the top of the lifeboats...therefore not able to look straight down.

For $100/each I can move up to 2B, I assume up one level. just wondering if it is worth it (13 day cruise) and if you can then see over the boats better???

If it was my holiday, I would consider $100 each part of my vacation cost to NOT (possibly) be annoyed that I have the boats in my eyeline and can't see the water. If I were paying the $200, I'd be talkin' to my TA to know the exact cabin they're assigning to me and check it out on the X deck plan. Only my opinion however, everyone has different priorities.

This is the husband of younger cruisers and personally I think somone should get back to work and stop researching at work.hehehehe.

I am not worried, why: Because I am on vacation and not working. They could put me in with the crew and I would still have a great cruise.lol

Thanks for telling my wife what I have been trying to tell hersince we booked. Its ok not to have control. ...... I see me on the couch tonight.

Love you

This is the husband of younger cruisers and personally I think somone should get back to work and stop researching at work.hehehehe.

I am not worried, why: Because I am on vacation and not working. They could put me in with the crew and I would still have a great cruise.lol

Thanks for telling my wife what I have been trying to tell hersince we booked. Its ok not to have control. ...... I see me on the couch tonight.

Love you

LOL .....Hate to burst your bubble...but have you ever been in crew cabin?? My daughter was an entertainer on 6-9 month contracts...tiny room as big as a closet with 2 bunks...you honestly can't turn around. IMHO.....I think I'd sleep in the hallway before giving myself a case of claustrophobia. Anyway, I get your point....cruising and possibly sleeping..... anywhere on a ship is better than this freeze we're in right now.

I did it on my Solstice cruise over New Year's. I will never do it again. I was given room 3136, which banged and clanged all night long. After having guest relations try to fix(something was rolling around in the wall), we were moved for the night across the hall at 5:00a.m to get a few hours sleep. They moved us the next day to 6156, which was the obstructed view with the life boats. That was fine by us, we just wanted to be able to sleep at night. I will pick out my cabin in the future. Its not worth saving the money to me, that was a long first night!!

I did it on my Solstice cruise over New Year's. I will never do it again. I was given room 3136, which banged and clanged all night long. After having guest relations try to fix(something was rolling around in the wall), we were moved for the night across the hall at 5:00a.m to get a few hours sleep. They moved us the next day to 6156, which was the obstructed view with the life boats. That was fine by us, we just wanted to be able to sleep at night. I will pick out my cabin in the future. Its not worth saving the money to me, that was a long first night!!

How will you know the cabin you pick won't have something "rolling around in the wall"?

I guess your right. I would not know. But hopefully if someone gets 3136 in the future maybe they will contact Celebrity and ask if the problem was fixed. I know we were not the only people with this problem. Other people in the area heard the noise too.

• 6 months later...
I also booked a balcony guarantee and sure enough, I did get one of those 2C obstructed balconies. They aren't bad though. Here is a picture of one. They call these obstructed because you can't look down at the water. You have to look over a life boat. The floor is about even with the top. Better than the inside I had.

celebrity-solstice044.jpg

I just booked an obstructed view cabin tonight on Carnival Pride cabin # 5236 anyone ever stay in this room and have pictures? I really going out on a limb here I have a feeling for this room. It cost 200.00 more then the inside cabin we had booked for the week, wondering if it is going to be worth it or not?

Deb

I think youre in the wrong forum. But for those that was a pic from the balcony of an Equinox room 6xxx obstructed view cabin, I will post one here in about three weeks time on my return.

Go to http://www.depping-design.de/test/index.php to see a fabulous review of pictures by Andeas who just came off the Equinox. There are plenty of pics of 2C obstructed balcony rooms.

This will be the last time we ever book a balcony gty. We booked a 2C over a year ago, and got a poor assignment. While we have booked gty rooms before, we never have experienced getting an obstructed view room, especially when we booked so much in advance and specifically asked for a non-obstructed view when we did our booking. Our TA dropped the ball and could care less about helping us get a better room.

Mindy

Archived