Maasdam Mechanical Problems

yoleven

Hi gang

Just want to let you all know it wasn't my intention to stir the pot on this issue. It was kinda late when I responded to this post, and I guess I had misconceptions regarding the topic.

I know there is a big difference between malfunctioning AC, and Acts of God. So, it was relating passenger gripes to something the crew had no control over.

You might say I was equating this over the mishaps I witnessed on my Bermuda trip. Let me say the voyage was rough.
Not rough, ROUGH ... 20-30 ft swells ... the sound of the waves crashing on the hull .... things flying across the cabin ....
placing all loose objects on the floor, or under the bed...

But anyway, it was so rough, some of the pax had the audacity to
downright yell at the front office staff. "You people have no clue how to sail this thing!" ..... "The captain is a moron!" ...
"Why didn't the ship try to avoid the storm.... etc"

You might say we were fortunate to reach land, and what was waiting for us out there was just a freak occurence. Now I know that some things can't be controlled. But hothouse cabins can make anyone irate.

So, again, please accept my apology.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=blue]I was the unlucky occupant of suite 020. It once was a premium spot, right Sail? Neptune Lounge a few feet away for coffee and ...........[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#0000ff]I had a thought after we arrived home and had a chance to cool off (LOL). I believe the problem may have stemmed from the building of the Neptune Lounge. Basically the suites near it were the ones that had the A/C problems. I just wonder when they tore out a few of those inside cabins and added the lounge if they didn't figure out the duct work and balancing of the system. Also there had to be piping removed from the toilets and showers in those rooms. Maybe that explains some of the plumbing problems? I'll leave it up to the HAL historians on board here to maybe confirm the timeline of adding the Neptune and the A/C and plumbing problems surfacing. Right now I'm betting they are connected.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#0000ff]I have posted the problems I saw and agree with all I've read from my fellow passengers. I must say that I knew once these negative posts appeared it would probably start a debate as it always does. At least hopefully we can agree to disagree on our HAL experiences. It doesn't always have to be Defenders vs Bashers does it? There is middle ground.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='iluvcruzin'] I'm a non-smoker and would appreciate being able to open the cabin door and walk down what I thought was a public non-smoking hallway without someone blowing smoke in my face (they actually smoked in the hallway as well as leaving the door open) [/QUOTE] Some smokers would construe this a typical rabid non-smoker attitude.

But, you are right, there are obnoxious people in the world who have no consideration of others. Neither you nor I will change this. But truthfully, you disapproved of these folk’s habits. If you hadn’t, you would have overlooked some of the problems you enumerated and maybe even forgiven them.

[quote name='jmvt']lknick-Wow....I am [b]narcissistic[/b] because the captain did not acknowlege [sic] the lack of air conditioning for 7 days? That does not even make sense. [/QUOTE] Then why are you challenging and ridiculing my conclusion? IMO, if this did not concern you, you would have ignored it.[quote name='jmvt'] I see you live in Florida "lknick". [/QUOTE] Yes, I have a home in Fort Myers as in other places. But what does this have to do with your analogy? [quote name='jmvt'] You ask for help for 10 days and the front desk keeps telling you there have been no problems reported by the ship's engineer so there is [u][b]not[/b][/u] a problem. Would this upset you? [/QUOTE] Nope, but I would have taken an action other than an emotional one. I too, for days, have had problems with air conditioning. It was on the maiden voyage of the Amsterdam. Finally, I searched out the chief engineer and after an amenable chat, the problem was identified but not fixed. It was simply a design flaw, which was I guess ultimately taken care of. And I did receive some compensation from HAL for my inconvenience, initiated by the Chief Engineer.

Over the years, I have found it startling what people can get away with once in international water. It seems that because of the questionable jurisdiction, security people of all stripes and in all situations would rather just look the other way.

There is a danger in this mind-set for all of us. It's a cause for caution to say the least. Often times there is no one around willing to look after you....best be careful to look out for yourself.

We always try and run from potential trouble first and talk about whether we made the right decision later.

I realize this does not apply in the suite situation on the Maasdam. HAL should have some firm policies about one passenger or group of passengers disturbing another.

What happened there was nuts in my opinion and Hal should be taken to task for it.

lknick-

Trust me...we all tried our best to see the Chief Engineer. We left many messages, letters. What can we do if he chooses not to appear? We tried later to speak with the Hotel Manager and also the Captain. No phone calls, no returned letters....that's what I am saying... we were totally ignored.

[quote name='jmvt']lknick-Trust me...we all tried our best to see the Chief Engineer. We left many messages, letters. What can we do if he chooses not to appear? We tried later to speak with the Hotel Manager and also the Captain. No phone calls, no returned letters....that's what I am saying... we were totally ignored.[/QUOTE]Given that, your experience was indeed unfortunate. I tracked mine down while he and the second engineer were having dinner on the Lido but I was on the prowl for a day when I spotted him.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]As I mentioned - the overhaul is for a few months - not like the Ryndam for a few weeks when they added the mew spa area, etc.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]The overhaul would be to work on the engines, plumbing, etc. - not add new things.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Overhauls take months.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]And the Maasdam sounds like she needs to be pulled from the water for along period of time or be sold.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]HAL some other older ships which are really starting to show their age.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Instead of worring about the SOE program, maybe HAL should consider what and how to take care of these older ships and for how long.[/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]I am affraid that if those children and their nanny started to take over the large table they would have a problem with me. If the concierge won't take care of the problem, I wouldn't stop at saying something to the nanny and I would also make it a point to to talk to the parents. I will use the large table and no child (or children) will take over the table or the Neptune Lounge. I have learned to get tough in my old age.[/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers']It is very hard to do anything about "pot" smokers on the open seas. And it is very hard to catch them in the act. [/QUOTE]Cannabis smoking is legal in some of the provinces of the Netherlands. The ship is a Dutch flagged ship. US law outside of the three mile limit means nothing.

[quote name='lknick']Cannabis smoking is legal in some of the provinces of the Netherlands. The ship is a Dutch flagged ship. US law outside of the three mile limit means nothing.[/QUOTE]

[b]As I previously posted:[/b]

[b][Quote]I do not know the answers but questions I have re: the pot smoking are:[/b]

[b]Seeing as the ship is registered in Rotterdam, Holland;[/b]
[b]Seeing as pot smoking is legal in Holland;[/b]
[b]Is pot smoking legal upon this Dutch Registered ship while on the high seas. Probably would not be legal while docked in port but when on the seas??? Does HAL have to agree to abide by U.S. laws and to have pax abide by U.S. laws or turn them over to U.S. authorities at next U.S. port if they wish to continue to operate out of a U.S. homeport? Or because their corporate headquarters are in Seattle...in the U.S.?[/b]

[b]I have no clue the answers.[/b]
__________________[/Quote]

[b]I wish someone who truly knows of what they are speaking would sharethe response to us about whether it is possible HAL must agree to abide by U.S. law even when the ship is in International Waters in order to have an amiable relationship with U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. authorities. [/b]

[b]Could they be denied access to U.S. ports if they do not agree and abide?[/b]

S7S, although the official Holland/Netherlands site (holland.com) mentions that "soft drugs" are legal in Holland, it also mentions that drinking alcohol is allowed for 16-year-olds in Holland, while HAL requires passengers to be 21 to be served alcohol on board.

The HAL website in its Cruise and Cruisetour Contract area ([url="http://www.hollandamerica.com/policies/cruise.do"]http://www.hollandamerica.com/policies/cruise.do[/url]), does state under "Baggage" that "Radioactive materials, controlled substances (other than lawfully obtained prescription drugs), firearms and illicit materials are strictly prohibited."

[quote name='sail7seas'][b]I wish someone who truly knows of what they are speaking would sharethe response to us about whether it is possible HAL must agree to abide by U.S. law even when the ship is in International Waters in order to have an amiable relationship with U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. authorities.

Could they be denied access to U.S. ports if they do not agree and abide?[/QUOTE]
A ship on the high seas is subject only to international maritime law until it enters within the territorial waters of a country.

-dave

[b]So....Seeing as all (except for Veendam, I think) HAL ships are Registered in Rotterdam, Netherlands, and pot smoking is legal there, one might think that pot smoking on HAL ships might be legal as long as it is done outside the three mile limit??[/b]

[b](Just for the record.......:) No, I do not wish to smoke pot on board or anywhere else for the matter.) But for some reason this 'legal' question is interesting me. [/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]The Neptune Lounge was added in Oct 2003. We were on the 2nd cruise after she came out of dry dock. The Neptune Lounge had problems. It was very hot most of the time - never cool. The TV kept going off and on. The lights flickered nearly every day. We did back-to-backs on the Maasdam. The second Sunday while passengers were getting on the ship, the electricity when out completely in the Neptune Lounge. Our concierge had to use her computer light to read the names of the new passengers. Workmen were constantly in there trying to solve the various problems.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]SO - it does make one wonder if the problems in the suites in the area by the Neptune Lounge developed after its instillation???[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]The Ryndam and Statendam had their Neptune Lounges added in 2002 in Seattle. We have been on both of those ships and there never was a problem with the air or anything else in there. The Maasdam had her Neptune Lounge added while she was in the Bahamas. Wonder if that makes a difference?[/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='lknick']Cannabis smoking is legal in some of the provinces of the Netherlands. The ship is a Dutch flagged ship. US law outside of the three mile limit means nothing.[/QUOTE]

[B][COLOR=Purple]
[SIZE=3]That's baloney. I asked the Captain of one of the ships this question yesterday and here's his reply.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=5]
[COLOR=Red]It's illegal, same as serving liquor to minors.
[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

There is a difference between corporate policy and law. 'Illegal' is not the same as a violation of company policy.

HAL can take any position on any activity on their boats at long as it does not violate the laws of the ships flagging. For instance, they can restrict drinking to 21 even though 16 is the legal age in the Netherlands. They cannot, however, reduce the age to 14.

However, the prevailing law in internatonal waters is of the country in which the ship is flagged, no matter what any employee may say.

[quote name='sail7seas'][b]As I previously posted:[/b]

[b][b]I wish someone who truly knows of what they are speaking would sharethe response to us about whether it is possible HAL must agree to abide by U.S. law even when the ship is in International Waters in order to have an amiable relationship with U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. authorities. [/b]

[b]Could they be denied access to U.S. ports if they do not agree and abide?[/b][/QUOTE]
Sail-

Thanks, I agree with you - I cannot fathom some of the posts on this thread regarding this...

Does anyone know for a certainty?

[quote name='Momohns']S7S, although the official Holland/Netherlands site (holland.com) mentions that "soft drugs" are legal in Holland, it also mentions that drinking alcohol is allowed for 16-year-olds in Holland, while HAL requires passengers to be 21 to be served alcohol on board.

The HAL website in its Cruise and Cruisetour Contract area ([url="http://www.hollandamerica.com/policies/cruise.do"]http://www.hollandamerica.com/policies/cruise.do[/url]), does state under "Baggage" that "Radioactive materials, controlled substances (other than lawfully obtained prescription drugs), firearms and illicit materials are strictly prohibited."[/QUOTE]
Thank you! Now this makes sense to me.

[b]Maritime Law is very detailed and extremely specialized. There are a handful of truly knowledgable Maritime Lawyers in various regions. I hope for the chance to ask a Maritime Lawyer to get a response to my question.[/b]

[b]I cannot imagine why I am so interested but I do want a reply I can rely on.[/b]

Having no desire to 'push the envelope' while on vacation in order to show I could win in court using the fine points of maritime law, I think I'll just stick with the fact that the Captain rules the roost on his ship and follow his wishes.

Haven't yet heard of a regulation on any HAL ship that seems unreasonable. I just wish more of the rules and regs were enforced.

Archived