Rome hotel

If you are talking about the Marriott Grand Flora, it is a quite nice hotel on via Veneto -- a little out of the way for anything other than the Borghese Gallery, but quiet surroundings. Same for the Excelsior.

I see you posted on the Princess board as well. I'd really recommend that you look around at hotels on your own as I find the prices charged by the cruise lines for hotel packages are outrageous because they are charged per person not per room. IMHO, you can do a lot better and book a hotel that is more in the midst of the sights in Rome. The Pantheon/Piazza Navona areas have a lot of restaurants and a certain ambience in the evenings that most people (including me) really enjoy.

http://www.venere.com is a great website for looking at hotels because you can narrow your search by area. I then recommend that you check out reviews of any hotels you are considering on http://www.tripadvisor.com (sister site of Cruise Critic).

If you are talking about the Marriott Grand Flora, it is a quite nice hotel on via Veneto -- a little out of the way for anything other than the Borghese Gallery, but quiet surroundings. Same for the Excelsior.

I see you posted on the Princess board as well. I'd really recommend that you look around at hotels on your own as I find the prices charged by the cruise lines for hotel packages are outrageous because they are charged per person not per room. IMHO, you can do a lot better and book a hotel that is more in the midst of the sights in Rome. The Pantheon/Piazza Navona areas have a lot of restaurants and a certain ambience in the evenings that most people (including me) really enjoy.

www.venere.com is a great website for looking at hotels because you can narrow your search by area. I then recommend that you check out reviews of any hotels you are considering on www.tripadvisor.com (sister site of Cruise Critic).

Totally agree with this post. I have stayed at the Excelsior on one of my trips to Rome..it is nice,but tedious to get back and forth to if out seeing the sights. If it is not a ships stay hotel and you want a really nice hotel "closer" in..check out thre Intercontinental at the top of the Spanish Steps or The Hassler as well.There are many really nice hotels in Rome and as mentioned they are priced Per ROOM not per person as the cruiseline does.Venere is a great site.Check out the Hotel Forum as well near the Closso/Forum. Note..that even in $$$ hotels rooms can be on the smallish side.

While we did not stay at the Intercontinental or the Hassler - - we did stay at the Hotel Mozart right by the Spanish Steps. This is indeed a great location !!!!

For sightseeing in Rome - the old saying "location, location, location" is very true. :D

I second the venere website recommendation....you can search a bunch of different ways and book right there OR call the hotel direct and see if they take a discount for cash. Some do.

We stayed at the Albergo Del Senato right next to the Pantheon. It was a great location. We had a room overlooking the square in front of the Pantheon.

It is easy walking to just about eveything. There is a great gelato place just around the corner. For some places we took a taxi, they are easy to pick up anywhere.

We stayed at the Albergo Del Senato right next to the Pantheon. It was a great location. We had a room overlooking the square in front of the Pantheon.

It is easy walking to just about eveything. There is a great gelato place just around the corner. For some places we took a taxi, they are easy to pick up anywhere.

Probably my favorite hotel in Rome. Much better location IMHO than the Spanish Steps (I've stayed at the Hotel Intercontinental too).

The taxi stand is just on the side of the Pantheon.

I found something unusual on my hotel's website, amazing actually. The room rate dropped 60 Euro and the hotel, Inn at the Spanish Steps, honored the rate change. I also found that the Intercontinental de la Ville near the Spanish Steps has also dropped its rates. I guess the economy is effecting hotels in Rome. I would deal directly with whatever hotel you choose. I've found that you can get some really good deals that way.

Joan

Doess anyone have an opinion on both the Westin Excelsior Hotel and the Marriott Grand Hotel both in Rome? Thanks,

Barbara

We had a lovely stay at the Marriott Grand Flora on via veneto. We loved the location-quiet and the service was impeccable. We found it a wonderful retreat from the hustle and bustle of the day and evening. I did not find it out of the way at all. (Of course one day I walked from the Vatican all the way back to the hotel via the pantheon, trevi fountain and spanish steps)-

I am wondering if you mentioned those two b/c of frequent guest programs-Mariott rewards and Starwoods for the Westin? We tried to book at the Grand Flora again for our trip in May, but it was not available for the 3 nights using marriott rewards points.

Hi floridafolks, we too used to live in Orlando. Actually we are going with relatives and they want us all to use Princess hotel to simply matter of transfers so we agreed. More than we wanted to pay but I know the Marriott is a great hotel. Thanks for the info everyone.

Barbara

Hi floridafolks, we too used to live in Orlando. Actually we are going with relatives and they want us all to use Princess hotel to simply matter of transfers so we agreed. More than we wanted to pay but I know the Marriott is a great hotel. Thanks for the info everyone.

Barbara

Just an an FYI..you all realize that evertyhing through Princess is PER PERSON..so in essence you are paying double for the room and the transfers.If you booked a private transfer to the ship it would be one price for all of you and probably about 25 euro per person(please,just a guess on my part here) as opposed to " I know you are paying a lot more than that" through Princess. A room say would be at a really good hotel 400 euro for both.Just something to figure in so you may want to have more spending money on the trip.I never like to tell anyone how to spend their money ever,but there comes a time whenoverpaying just screams for an FYI.

cberge,

You took the words out of my mouth! This is my pet peeve, about the so called "hotel packages" that the cruise lines sell. It is an outrageous price gouging , and the cruise lines are laughing all the way to the bank!

It is really quite easy to arrange independent transfers in cities like Rome.

Oh yeah..... we all have our stories. I will NEVER book cruiseline air again. I learned my lesson on our San Juan trip. Ended up eating $200.00 in custom air charges (after they messed it up so bad it wasnt funny) and cancelled and booked my own - cheaper too.

It does take some planning, reading and research - but you can save big bucks $$$$$ doing it own your own. Either way - always have trip insurance. These days it just makes sense.

As far as independant transfers - we just took a taxi. They are plentiful and not expensive. We paid 45 euros from airport to hotel (near Spanish Steps) and this was night rate too. Two people w/lots of luggage. AND we didnt have to wait for a bus to fill up as you do with cruiseline xfers OR stop at 22 different hotels to let people off if yours is last on the list :mad:

While we did not stay at the Intercontinental or the Hassler - - we did stay at the Hotel Mozart right by the Spanish Steps. This is indeed a great location !!!!

For sightseeing in Rome - the old saying "location, location, location" is very true. :D

I second the venere website recommendation....you can search a bunch of different ways and book right there OR call the hotel direct and see if they take a discount for cash. Some do.

did a transatlantic this past october and was fabulous. we found a private apartment for $500 for 5 days in the piazza navona area. LOCATION LOCATION!!!:D:D is the way we looked at it and i would stay there again. walked to everything and lots going on in the neighborhood. found it at freereservation.com sent a deposit then paid cash euros when we got there. please use the atm's in rome, all over the place and better than carrying a lot of cash.

did a transatlantic this past october and was fabulous. we found a private apartment for $500 for 5 days in the piazza navona area. LOCATION LOCATION!!!:D:D is the way we looked at it and i would stay there again. walked to everything and lots going on in the neighborhood. found it at freereservation.com sent a deposit then paid cash euros when we got there. please use the atm's in rome, all over the place and better than carrying a lot of cash.

We have used cyberrentals to rent condos/apts/homes in other locations. Usually do this for a week at a time but they have listings that will rent by the day also. We enjoy having a kitchen or kitchenette for coffee/breakfast in the morning etc.

If staying more than a couple of days....this is definately a good alternative. Not only to save $$ on the accomodations but also you don't have to go out for EVERY meal ! Options are good :p

Thanks for the input!! We are on the 3rd Oct Dream sailing and will stay in the sheraton Roma for our pre-cruise nite (hotwire 99.00 night)...post cruise for 4 nights we also booked an apartment!!

Do the ATMS charge transaction fees, what is the max in Euro you can withdraw?

thanks

Archived