Newport, RI

Rosco722

.......Any suggestions on what to do?....

Here are some suggestions:

Visit one of the Newport Mansions, the Breakers in particular.

http://www.newportmansions.org/

Take a walk on Cliff Walk after visiting a manison.

http://www.cliffwalk.com/

Rent a grass tennis court and play tennis at the International Tennis Hall of Fame - http://www.tennisfame.com/

If your visit is in the summer, take the ferry to Fort Adams State Park - http://www.fortadams.org/

View an art collection that just happens to be in a mansion, Doris Duke’s mansion & art collection at Rough Point - http://www.newportrestoration.com/roughPOINT/rough.html

If in season, take a train ride - http://www.ocnrr.com/

Take a tour of local waters either on a classic speedboat or a 72-foot schooner - http://www.cruisenewport.com/

Take a tour of the restored Rose Island Lighthouse - http://roseislandlighthouse.org/

And then rent it for an overnight stay when you return to Newport for a visit. You will become the overnight keeper.

Visit the International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS) and watch the students restore wooden boats. Sign up for classes on wooden boat restoration - http://www.iyrs.org/

Put together a group of fellow paxs and charter a retired America’s Cup 12 Meter yacht - http://www.americascupcharters.com/family_events.html

Are you interested in Revolutionary (and before) dewellings? All are within walking distance of the

tender dock.

REDWOOD LIBRARY AND ATHENAEUM. (1748-50) 50 Bellevue Ave

FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE. (1699) 21 Farewell St

HUNTER HOUSE. (1748) 54 Washington St

NEWPORT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. (1860) Spring and Pelham Sts

OLD COLONY HOUSE. (1739) Washington Sq

OLD STONE MILL. Touro Park

SAMUEL WHITEHORNE HOUSE. 416 Thames St.

SEVENTH DAY BAPTIST MEETING HOUSE. (1729) 82 Touro St

St. MARY'S CHURCH. Spring St

TOURO SYNAGOGUE. (1763) 85 Touro St

TRINITY CHURCH. (1725-26) Queen Anne Sq., Spring and Church Sts

WANTON-LYMAN-HAZARD HOUSE. (1675) 17 Broadway near Washington Square.

WHITE HORSE TAVERN. (1673) corner of Marlborough and Farewell Sts

ABRAHAM RODRIGUES RIVERA HOUSE. Washington Square

There was a Segway rental available but that was when I visited there in the fall of’ 08.

Hopefully, it is still in business: Segway of Newport, 5 West Howard St., 401-619-4010, http://www.segwayofnewport.com/index.htm

If any of my links are outdated, pls post.

SBtS

He pretty much summed it up in the one post. I love when the ships are in port in the summer. We live over the bridge and when the ship leave port at night the ship is lit up and it is beautiful. The cliff walk is a no $$ thing to do. It is a walking area behind mansions between the houses and the ocean. There are going to be stairs involved . Have a godd time

• 2 weeks later...

SBtS -

I have been reading about Newport all evening and you have been giving great information. Well - actually EVERYONE has! But I have a question that I don't really see the answer to. I probably missed it. But here goes...

If wanting to see Beechwood and CW.... Am I right in my planning to take the #67 to stop #4 at Ruggles and then walk down Bellevue to Beechwood. Then after touring Beechwood... continue down Bellevue and catch the beginning of CW and walk that all the way back to Memorial... and catch the #67 at Memorial & Bellevue back to the harbor?

If this the case... what is the best option for finding something to eat somewhere in that day for lunch?

Now that I have typed all of that... It looks like on the day that we will be there that Beechwood is only offering tours at 12, 2 & 3...

So maybe doing it the other way would be better since we are in port at 7am and out at 4:00. Do the walk, catch Beechwood at 12:00 and take the bus back in???? Ughhh! Am I lost now? hee hee

Thanks!!!!

………… So maybe doing it the other way would be better since we are in port at 7am and out at 4:00. Do the walk, catch Beechwood at 12:00 and take the bus back in????………..

Tina –

You are right with bus # 67, outbound & inbound; and I agree with you on doing CW first. Take bus #67 outbound and get off at Salve Regina University (SRU). Since SRU’s back border is CW and unfenced, walk through SRU’s campus until you come to CW. If you turn north (left) and walk, you’ll be heading towards the start of CW. When you have gone north as far as you want to walk, turn around and walk south. Just remember that entrances and exits become scarce the further south you walk and that you can not access any mansion from CW.

Here’s the link to the CW page that provides a description of the exit you should look for (Marine Ave.).

http://www.cliffwalk.com/sect4.htm

After exiting CW, take Marine Ave to Bellevue, turn south (left) on Bellevue Ave and walk to Beechwood.

After finishing at Beechwood, you will be approx 1.25 miles from the closest resturant. If time is a factor, get to a bus stop and take the bus back to the terminal.

I would carry a knapsack with energy bars and water if needed.

When looking at the bus schedule, we are currently looking at the winter schedule, During the summer, there is a bus #61 that serves Newport beaches and it also goes by the start of CW:D. If that bus is available, take it to get to CW, but still take the bus # 67 inbound. Here’s a link to the Newport RIPTA seasonal service: http://www.ripta.com/content320.html

Questions? Clarifications?

Have a great cruise and enjoy your visit to Newport.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a pretty day, maybe take a walk along the Harbor-Thames St. Start around Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina & proceed along with harbor on your right. Pop in and out of Bowen's Wharf, Bannister's Wharf,etc. Often there's a festival or some such around Newport Yachting Center which you'll pass by & would be well marked if a festival taking place. Shops, terrific restaurants, (outdoor eateries attached to many), fish house where catch comes in and is sold. Can get harbor tours all along there: Rum Runner II, a tall ship, a trad. ferry type or a 12 meter yacht.

If you go to the Breakers....a long stretch of Cliff Walk is right around the corner from it.

Forgive my ignorance, but where does the Caribbean Princess dock in Newport or do they tender in. If tender, where do the boats go. We've been to Newport once and I'd love to see the Breakers again plus roam around the harbor area some (and have lunch of course). How is the best way to get to the Breakers from the dock? If I remember correctly it is too far to walk.

Newport is a tender port. The tender dock is in the north east corner of the harbor. On the land side, it is at the corner of Americas Cup Ave and Long Wharf, on the south west side.

Read my post #6 above .........You are right with bus # 67, outbound & inbound......... You would take the #67 bus out and back. The bus stop is very close to the Breakers.

You can walk there if you have the time and energy; time is your enemy, so take the bus.

Enjoy your cruise & Newport.

SBtS

• 4 weeks later...

You say Newport is a tender port. If we were to take the tender into town (in the first part of May), when getting off the tender, is there anything within a short walking distance to see? Maybe little shops or historical museums, or?

Newport is very walkable. Everything (except mentioned below) are an easy walk from the tender dock. Not sure what you mean by a short walk, but I am a senior and have no trouble at all walking Newport.

The only sites that would require transportation are visiting the mansions or Cliff Walk.

If you haven't already done so, read this thread from the beginning (post #1); and pay close attention to my replies (posts 2, 6, & 10).

Now my question: how long is a piece of string?:rolleyes:

SBtS

Newport is very walkable. Everything (except mentioned below) are an easy walk from the tender dock. Not sure what you mean by a short walk, but I am a senior and have no trouble at all walking Newport.

Now my question: how long is a piece of string?:rolleyes:

SBtS

Thank you, you have answered my question.

Sorry I can't answer yours (about the string) :)

• 4 weeks later...
Sailing the Caribbean Princess in August and stopping in Newport. Any suggestions on what to do?

Some people really nailed this one ahead of me.

One of the best things to do in Newport is just get out and walk around. There are all kinds of small, tightly packed streets in the old waterfront. There are beautiful cobblestones, shops, plenty of food and drink.

Take the cliff walk by all the old mansions once owned by the Vanderbilts, Rockafellers, etc...

In order to visualize and organize what you wish to do, visit their official tourism site: http://www.gonewport.com/

There is a visitor information booth near the harbor and a very cheap trolley that takes you around. Here is some more information such as maps and stuff:

http://www.gonewport.com/ViewContentPage.aspx?id=464

And... depending if you are traveling with the wife and kids, or traveling alone or with the guys... check out the bikini boat at:

http://www.modelcruises.com

It's a great way to spend a summer afternoon! ha ha :D

Thanks to everyone for posting all the great information in this thread!

We will be in Newport on September 17 from 7 am to 4 pm. My sister is disabled and can walk a long ways, but walks rather slowly. I would like to ask the opinion of those who are familiar with the Cliff Walk area if the following sounds reasonable.

Take a cab from the pier to the end of Narragansett to start our walk at the 40 Steps. Walk to Sheppard Ave and go up to The Breakers on Ochre Point for a tour, then go back down Sheppard to continue the Cliff Walk to Marine Ave. Walk up Marine Avenue to Bellevue, then go south on Bellevue for tours of Rosecliff and Rough Point. Then take a cab back from Rough Point to the pier.

Can this all be accomplished in about 4 - 5 hours if we count on an hour at each of the mansions?

Would we be better to take a cab directly to The Breakers, then go down Sheppard to do the Cliff Walk between Sheppard and Marine?

How is the Cliff Walk between Ruggles and Marine? If it is rough, would we be better to walk up Ruggles to Bellevue instead of Marine?

It looks like Rough Point is a fair ways down Bellevue, but I would really like to see it, particularly the "Shop Like an Heiress" exhibit.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the above itinerary?

Bonnie

IMHO, I think you are trying to do too much. Slow down!

If you read the previous posts, you would know that Newport is a tender port. Have you taken that into consideration?

I offer this for an alternate plan –

Leave the cruise ship as early as possible. Take a taxi to the start of Cliff Walk on Memorial Blvd. Walk until you pass behind the Breakers and exit CW on to Ruggles Ave and walk to the Breakers. (or you could take the Sheppards Ave exit which is just before the Breakers, the rest is the same).

At the Breakers you will have to contend with tour groups which are taken first. Allow yourself 1H 30M for the tour. This is something you don’t want to rush. Over the years, I have toured the Breakers 4 times and each time I’ve discovered something I missed in previous visits.

If you can, take a taxi to Rough Point and ask the taxi driver if he could pick you up in 1H 30M. Or you could start walking back after the tour, but have a back up plan. As you walk you’ll pass Marble House then Rosecliff. You are now passing Marine Ave; hows the time? You could enter CW from Marine Ave and walk north.

You haven’t eaten lunch yet; I’m assuming you had breakfast on the cruise ship. There are no fast food eateries at this end of Bellevue Ave.

Have a contingeny plan for all events.

Enjoy your cruise and Newport.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

SBtS - what a lot of great info and advice you've provided! We're going to do the New England cruise for the third time in September - and I wish I had the benefit of your post the first time we went :-)

There is a gift shop in the basement of the breakers. It has a separate entrance from the tour, so you can just walk up and go in even if you don't have time to do the tour.

We bought some really different things there. There are pieces like glassware and reproduction sliver. I bought a beautiful small knife you would use when entertaining to put out with crackers & spread.

They also had a good selection of books.

This shop is more than just the typical made in china souvenirs.

• 3 weeks later...
Sailing the Caribbean Princess in August and stopping in Newport. Any suggestions on what to do?

Looks like a lot of tremendous suggestions have been posted. Here are a few places that I like to take people who come up for a visit.

1. Beavertail Lighthouse--park with a great view on the island of Jamestown. There is a ferry over to Jamestown from Newport, although I am not sure if there is public transportation to get you to the park. The park has tremendous views and a lighthouse museum and very small marine life exhibit with a naturalist (part time).

2. Ocean Drive--rent scooters or grab a cab for a nice drive around Newport. Highlights--Ft. Adams, Hammersmith Farm (Jackie O's summer house as a child), Bretton Reef State Park, and Mansions all are on this scenic drive. Stop by the Castle Hill Inn and Resort and sit out on the lawn overlooking the Harbor--good drink service and an atmosphere that will guarantee a drop in blood pressure.

3. Walk along Newport Waterfront. Really nice walking area with plenty of shops, watering holes, and restaurants. Since you are on a cruise, you may prefer to not eat out, but a quick bite at the Black Pearl on Bowens Wharf for a cup of NE clam chowder might be worth it. Also, during the summer the yachts that are docked are very impressive, so if you like boats, this is a great place to dream a little bit!

4. St. Mary's Church. A block off the waterfront--it is where JFK and Jackie got married. Never been inside, but if you are a fan of the Camelot era, it might be worth a quick peak.

Other than Beavertail, you can do all of the others within a couple of hours (unless you really enjoy your time on the lawn at Castle Hill!).

• 2 weeks later...

DW and I are coming in on the Caribbean Princess first week in October. Wondering how many mansions can be toured comfortably in one day? Definitely thinking about gong to Breakers and Marble House. We are there from 9A to 6P. Thinking about purchasing the 5-mansion pass from The Preservation Society of Newport. Any info/suggestions would be appreciated.

BD

Archived