Vancouver to Victoria Island

Mango Tango

We're staying in Vancouver for three days before our Alaska cruise on May 22. We were thinking of possibly going to Victoria for a day. Does anyone here know the best and least expensive way to get there? Is it something we would enjoy doing? Or, should we just stay in the Vancouver area....I'm sure there are plenty of things to see and do in Vancouver.

We spent a week in Victoria before our Alaska cruise last September. It is a fantastic city, so clean and friendly. Butchart Gardens is a must if you are the least bit interested in gardening. There are coach firms that run day trips to Victoria from Vancouver and their destinations include the world famous gardens. Check ot Victoria on the net. Definitely worth a visit.

Kiwipete

We're staying in Vancouver for three days before our Alaska cruise on May 22. We were thinking of possibly going to Victoria for a day. Does anyone here know the best and least expensive way to get there? Is it something we would enjoy doing? Or, should we just stay in the Vancouver area....I'm sure there are plenty of things to see and do in Vancouver.

The easiest way, if you haven't booked your air yet, is to get an open jaw airline ticket so you fly into YYJ/Victoria and return from YVR/Vancouver. Coming from MSP I imagine you're flying NW or AS into SEA/Seattle and then transferring onto a QX/Horizon air flight into YVR. As QX serve YYJ from SEA, this should be dead easy, and no different in price.

Asuming you've already booked your air, the easiest way return to Victoria from Vancouver is to take the Pacific Coach Line bus which operates downtown to downtown (about $40 and 4 hours each way including the ferry). http://pacificcoach.com/

If you're looking to save a few more dollars, or are interested in going to Buchardt gardens, it's actually easier to take the Vancouver and Victoria city buses to get around.

Translink (Vancouver bus/subway) http://translink.bc.ca/

BC Transit (Victoria bus system) http://www.transitbc.com/regions/vic/?p=1.txt

BC Ferries (Ferry crossing) http://bcferries.bc.ca/

From downtown Vancouver you take the #601 bus to Ladner, change to the #620 bus to Tsawwassen Ferry terminal ($5), get on the ferry ($13) and then the #70 Victoria (or #81 Brentwood for Butchardt gardens) $2.25 from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal. Reverse the process to get back. It takes a little longer than Pacific coach, but reduces the price by about $20.

However, there is lots to do in Metro Vancouver as well, so I would highly suggest a bunch of google searches to see what's available. There's also a lot of great suggestions in threads in this forum.

One last minor thing, and yes I know it's confusing. Vancouver is on the mainland, Victoria is on VANCOUVER Island. Victoria Island is a very large, very cold island way way way up north http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=victoria+island&sll=70.303933,-109.27002&sspn=4.308667,23.291016&ie=UTF8&ll=68.911005,-101.25&spn=40.036945,186.328125&z=3&iwloc=addr

The easiest way, if you haven't booked your air yet, is to get an open jaw airline ticket so you fly into YYJ/Victoria and return from YVR/Vancouver. Coming from MSP I imagine you're flying NW or AS into SEA/Seattle and then transferring onto a QX/Horizon air flight into YVR. As QX serve YYJ from SEA, this should be dead easy, and no different in price.

Asuming you've already booked your air, the easiest way return to Victoria from Vancouver is to take the Pacific Coach Line bus which operates downtown to downtown (about $40 and 4 hours each way including the ferry). http://pacificcoach.com/

If you're looking to save a few more dollars, or are interested in going to Buchardt gardens, it's actually easier to take the Vancouver and Victoria city buses to get around.

Translink (Vancouver bus/subway) http://translink.bc.ca/

BC Transit (Victoria bus system) http://www.transitbc.com/regions/vic/?p=1.txt

BC Ferries (Ferry crossing) http://bcferries.bc.ca/

From downtown Vancouver you take the #601 bus to Ladner, change to the #620 bus to Tsawwassen Ferry terminal ($5), get on the ferry ($13) and then the #70 Victoria (or #81 Brentwood for Butchardt gardens) $2.25 from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal. Reverse the process to get back. It takes a little longer than Pacific coach, but reduces the price by about $20.

However, there is lots to do in Metro Vancouver as well, so I would highly suggest a bunch of google searches to see what's available. There's also a lot of great suggestions in threads in this forum.

One last minor thing, and yes I know it's confusing. Vancouver is on the mainland, Victoria is on VANCOUVER Island. Victoria Island is a very large, very cold island way way way up north http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=victoria+island&sll=70.303933,-109.27002&sspn=4.308667,23.291016&ie=UTF8&ll=68.911005,-101.25&spn=40.036945,186.328125&z=3&iwloc=addr

Thank you for the great information and especially the links! I wouldn't have had a clue. Before I posted this question, I was going to rely on the hotel concierge to help me. I think we'll go with the Pacific Coach to get to Victoria.

Yes, we had already booked our flight. Non-stop from MSP to Vancouver.

Thanks again for your help! :)

I wish we were stopping in Victoria this year -- they have the most wonderful Christmas shops!

Sorry but the cool Christmas store, the one on Government and Fort Street is now closed. To bad, it was a terriffic store.

there are lots of great things to do in Victoria and if you were coming from Vancouver for a couple of days I would definately recommend renting a car. the best part about Victoria is that it is so close to nature. Of course do the Butchart Gardens thing, but there are old growth cedar forests within an hour's drive. Go the otherway out to Sooke and you will find fantastic Pacific Rock beaches at French Beach and Jordan River. If you are here for a couple of days go out whale watching and see some of the cool local orcas.

Best of all, there is always something happening at the inner harbour, even if it is just watching the street entertainers.

Who would you recommend to hire a rental car from once arriving on Vancouver Island?

It depends where on Vancouver Island you land. Assuming Victoria, any rental agency should be able to help, as Victoria is a decent size city. Be sure to pick the downtown agency, as the airport is 30km north of downtown.

Remember Vancouver Island is big, it's an 8 hour drive from one end to the other.

Who would you recommend to hire a rental car from once arriving on Vancouver Island?

I am sure that all of the rental companies do a good job in Victoria but as a frequent traveler to Victoria I can recommend the Budget agency there.

Blamar, was that called "The Spirit of Christmas (or similar to that)"? It was a wonderful store. There was also a smaller store on the other side of the street -- quite a ways down -- owned by a European gentleman -- another beautiful store to wander through -- and buy, of course!

It depends where on Vancouver Island you land. Assuming Victoria, any rental agency should be able to help, as Victoria is a decent size city. Be sure to pick the downtown agency, as the airport is 30km north of downtown.

Remember Vancouver Island is big, it's an 8 hour drive from one end to the other.

I am sure that all of the rental companies do a good job in Victoria but as a frequent traveler to Victoria I can recommend the Budget agency there.

Thank you both :)

In my opinion, I never recommend Victoria as a day trip, unless you fly there. There is a floatplane operator, right by Canada Place.
That's what I was afraid of. :rolleyes: 4 hours over and 4 hours back is a lot of the day wasted in just travel time. We might have to reconsider. :(

Thanks for your opinion, Budget Queen! :)

Vancouver has more than enough to keep you busy for days. That is not to say that Victoria doesn't, Victoria is a wonderful city and dispite advice previously given people go back and forth on the ferry system on a one day basis everyday including myself. The secret is to get anearly start, catch the first ferry and come back on a late ferry; in May there is lots of daylight. Part of the beauty of the trip is theferry ride itself as the ferries navigate thru the beautiful Gulf Islands, in Active Pass you can almost reach out and touch the cliffs. You will have time to do Butchart Gardens and tour the downtown area without a problem.....it is just a long day.

Vancouver has more than enough to keep you busy for days. That is not to say that Victoria doesn't, Victoria is a wonderful city and dispite advice previously given people go back and forth on the ferry system on a one day basis everyday including myself. The secret is to get anearly start, catch the first ferry and come back on a late ferry; in May there is lots of daylight. Part of the beauty of the trip is theferry ride itself as the ferries navigate thru the beautiful Gulf Islands, in Active Pass you can almost reach out and touch the cliffs. You will have time to do Butchart Gardens and tour the downtown area without a problem.....it is just a long day.

Well, that sounds do-able. I'm really undecided now! :confused::D Thanks for your input!

Archived