Europe cruise with a baby

cruisinjules3

Hi - I'm going on a family European cruise, and we have a little girl. She'll be 14 months old at the time. I know it's not the most ideal age for Europe, but this is the date everyone chose and we're happy to be able to go!

Any tips for Europe with such a small child? The carseat situation worries me the most, since ports are so far from the actual cities we hope to see. Are most excursions via large coach bus so she'll be OK without a car seat?

I hear about cobblestone streets a lot - does this mean a stroller is not a good option?

The ports we'll be visiting include Barcelona, Valencia, Villefranche (Nice), Provence (Marseilles), Livorno (Florence/Pisa), and Civitavecchia (Rome). Are there trains or easy transport options for a baby?

Any other experiences/advice? Thanks!

There will be challenges for you. First, you WILL need the stroller. I don't think you want to carry a 14 month old for hours on end. And you really will want the stroller on the ship.

Ship's tours will be on large buses, and if you're going during July or August, be aware that their air conditioning on those buses are abysmal at best. July and August will be very hot and very humid and I'm not sure how well a 14 month old will do in that heat. The tours for Rome and Florence will be very long and very tiring because it's about a 90 minute drive from the ports to the cities, one way and since your child is so young, there's no option to keeping her on the ship in the kid's programs. I would highly suggest hiring a private car/van and driver for both those cities. You can share the costs with others in your group. That way, if the child gets tired and cranky, you can just return to the ship. And, to be honest, I don't think your fellow passengers would be too happy with a crying infant on their tour bus.

I would not recommend the trains for a baby. You waste too much time on a train and your time in port is too precious for train trips. Plus, once you get to the big city, how will you get around to see the major sites once you're in the city?

In Barcelona you're dock is right in the city, so your choices are better. You can take a ship's tour that includes all the best sights, and you're only gone for about 4 hours, or you can hire a taxi to take you to places. Negotiate a flat price before getting into the taxi.

You will tender in Nice, which isn't the easiest to do with a baby, especially if the seas are rough. But once on the dock, you can walk around because the tenders dock right in the center of town.

I've never done a Med cruise, but I have been to Florence and Pisa. There are a lot of steps, narrow streets and crowds in the tourist areas. There are also a lot of cobblestones, but if your stroller has sturdy/off road wheels you should be able to navigate.

Could you afford to pay a babysitter to go with you? If you could get a baby sitter to stay on the ship with your child, that would allow you to fully enjoy the ports and still have your daughter with you on vacation.

I would never take a child of this age on a European cruise, but I understand your choice.

Having been to all of your ports, I agree totally with Kitty9's suggestion. You do not want to be stuck on a large tour bus with a lot of people and a baby. By doing a private tour, you can taylor your itinerary to the baby's needs. You will be less stressed, get a more individualized experience and everyone will be happier. Not every street is cobblestones and if you have a sturdy stroller, you should be fine. You will really need that stroller.

If you need suggestions, go to the Ports of Call suggestion of this web site.

Good luck!

Please consider the suggestion of bringing a sitter. Better yet, if you can, leave the child with family members that are not going. When my kids were that young and we needed to travel we would send them to Camp Gramma. I realize were blessed two two sets of loving grandparents but if you have a sister or in-law or a good friend I would leave the child at home. She will be much better off.

Now that my kids are grown I've assured them that Camp Gramma will be there for them.

Gee, does anyone have any positive reaction? This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip that is being paid for by my mother-in-law. We are not going to miss an opportunity to see Europe for the very first time and for FREE because we're parents. A babysitter is not an option, neither is leaving her at home for 2 full weeks while we're on another continent. We're getting a hiking child carrier for her (daddy will carry her this way when streets are rough), as well as bringing a stroller. Private tours don't take coach buses, and I doubt they have carseats available. Does anyone know about this? I think we have to take the bus tours to keep her safe on the roads.

Oh well, we'll be fine. If she needs to rest, one of us will step away and rock her to sleep. We'll have 7 other adult family members to help with her as well. If any parents of little ones have useful suggestions, I'm all ears! Thanks!

There's a reason for the lack of positive responses; those of us who have raised children are gently trying to tell you that 14 months is possibily the worse time to take a child on this kind of trip. Honestly they're too young for Disney World much less Europe and almost every guide book will tell you this. A child that has just learned to walk is not going to sit still in a stroller, on a bus or on a long flight for any length of time and they are in the full throes of the 'terrible twos' and 'no' is their favorite word.

Please keep in mind that for many passengers this really will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip that they scrimped and saved for. As other posters said they may not feel too kindly about sharing it with a screaming child.

eta: Even though it's not a cruise book "The Unofficial Guide to Disney World With Children" is an excellent resource for tips on keeping children happy and entertained.

While understanding your desire for the free trip, we are trying to help you understand it is not a good idea.

Your baby is not going to be a happy baby in the heat and humidity of summer tours in Europe and it can be extremely uncomfortable.

To bring baby on a large tour bus and have her unhappy and crying certainly would not be your idea of a great family day of vacation I am sure nor would you intentionally subject a whole busful of travelers to unhappy baby wailing discomfort/hunger/exhaustion. How will you 'step aside' so she doesn't disturb everyone on the bus when she is cranky as she surely will be? What fun could you possibly have if baby is unhappy? Sadly, the timing just isn't good for you.

Of course, the temptation for this family trip is great but there are sacrifices parents make daily. Maybe this is one of them??

Gee, does anyone have any positive reaction? This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip that is being paid for by my mother-in-law. We are not going to miss an opportunity to see Europe for the very first time and for FREE because we're parents. A babysitter is not an option, neither is leaving her at home for 2 full weeks while we're on another continent. We're getting a hiking child carrier for her (daddy will carry her this way when streets are rough), as well as bringing a stroller. Private tours don't take coach buses, and I doubt they have carseats available. Does anyone know about this? I think we have to take the bus tours to keep her safe on the roads.

Oh well, we'll be fine. If she needs to rest, one of us will step away and rock her to sleep. We'll have 7 other adult family members to help with her as well. If any parents of little ones have useful suggestions, I'm all ears! Thanks!

I think by "useful" you mean telling you what you want to hear. This is obviously your first child. You have never experienced Europe in the summer. Well, those of us offering suggestions have, and we also have children. From our point of view, gained from experience, we are all telling you this trip is not a good idea.

Get used to not being able to do what you want to do and giving things up, because that's part of being a parent. What do you mean, you're not going to miss something just because you are parents? Most of us have missed many things because we are parents! It's just part of the sacrifices we make. I was trying to be tactful in my first post to you, I am now being blunt.

Here's my helpful suggestions if you absolutely insist on taking this trip. You MUST purchase travel insurance that covers medical, because if baby gets sick, you WILL need it. You MUST take the car seat and do private tours. Just because you want want to take a tour, does not mean all the other passengers on a crowded tour bus want to listen to your baby cry. As pointed out, it's their dream vacation too. Your baby will not be comfortable riding on a bus for hours, and that's what he/she will have to do if you go to Rome, Pisa, Florence, etc.

This trip is not like a Caribbean cruise where you can get off the ship and then catch a cab to the beach. It's really crowded and port intensive and many of the sights/cities you will want to see are hours away.

I know by your post you are going to ignore what everyone says and do what you want. Please come back and post after your trip and let us know honestly how it was.

I'm not sure you realize that tours in the Med can last 10 to 11 hours, especially the tours for Florence and Rome. Do you honestly think a 14 month old will be able to handle a 10 hour tour, in the heat and humidity? Before you had a child did you ever go someplace where a child made your time miserable? How would you feel if a child were cranky on a 10 hour tour that you paid a lot of money for? I bet you'd be really upset. There are going to be hundreds of others on this cruise who have probably scrimped and saved for years to take a THEIR trip of a lifetime and I know if it were me, and I was stuck on a 10 hour tour with a cranky baby, I'd be pretty darn angry.

And, BTW, when you're on a ship's tour, you're on a strict time schedule and there is NO PLACE to go off to and try and calm a cranky baby. Once you get into Rome or Florence, you'll be walking, walking and more walking, in a lot of heat and humidity. There's no built in time for someone in your group to go off somewhere and calm the baby. You'll barely have time to find a place to change a diaper. These tours are rigidly scheduled and the guides aren't going to change things because a baby is hungry or tired or needs calming.

Like someone said, when you decide to become a parent, you have to also decide that some sacrifices need to be made. You're a parent now, and what you desire does not come first. That little soul you have is first.

Your only choice is to take private tours. Believe me, you really DO NOT want to take a 10 hour tour in Florence on a bus who's air conditioning does not work like you're used to. But I guess in the end, despite sound advice from those of us who've been there, done that, you'll have to do what you want.

I know people aren't giving you the support you were hoping for, but they are trying to be helpful. They aren't questioning your parenting skills or anything, just sharing thier experiences as parents and travellers.

Private tours would really be your best option. They give you a lot more flexibility and choice, with as many people going as you have the costs will be comparable, and you won't have others upset at a crying baby or delaying their tour. Private tours can often provide car seats, but from my experience you will be required to bring a car seat on the plane for that age child anyway, so you'll have one with you. With a stroller and car seat and all the baby paraphernalia you should probably consider private transfers from the airports/hotels as well.

Oh come on babies grow up here tooo. You can take you toddler but do be aware of the fact it will make your trip a bit different. The recomendation to take private tours ist really important.

This will solve you seat problem tooo as many tour operators will offer a seat at a fee or will be able to decide if they are able to use your own one.

Talk to the operator and perhaps you can do shorter more relaxed tours - just don't believe you will see quite as much since you may have to stop and break more often to accomodate the baby.

Heck folks many children get moved around the world at that age - one just has to adapt a bit.

I appreciate the few of you who are taking a polite tone and trying to be helpful - thank you. Trust me, this is the last place & time I wanted for this trip, but it's out of my control. It's MIL's dream to take us all, and apparently us not going will ruin her dream. We're being pushed very hard to go, so we're going no matter what. MIL's husband is living with cancer, and this is her big event for her family. It's not in our nature to disappoint her so much. Rest assured we will be doing EVERYTHING we can to keep the baby happy and quiet and away from passengers who hate children.

I wasn't aware that private tours could offer car seats. I will certainly look into that, and if anyone knows of reputable operators, let me know. We're also planning to rent our own van around the slower, less crowded ports (Vallencia & Marseilles). My husband is a map expert, and is really excited at the idea of being to navigate us around himself. For Nice, we're doing the very short train ride and exploring on our own. We're staying in Rome after the cruise, and will be walking or taking short bus rides to the sights on a more leisurely pace.

Florence is our biggest challenge (definitely NO car there!), and we'll have to figure that one out. Maybe we'll do the babysitting service that one day - it's just hard to trust a total stranger on a ship with our child. But we'll do it if we need to. Do you know if we can meet the sitter before that day? And if our cell phones don't work, how the sitter can get in touch with us in case of emergency? I guess they know how to contact the tour operator?

BTW, we're going 1st of June, where the high temp is only 82. We're all from the deep South, and 82 degrees is wonderful! I see the July temps, and yeah, as hot as 95 would be terrible! I definitely agree with the hot bus warnings if it were going to be that hot. But we are going to limit our bus experiences whenever possible. We definitely re-thought some things after being blasted on this board. Again, I appreciate those who took a polite tone. This will work, and now I feel we are way more prepared to adjust some things. Thx!

You didn't mention what ship, did you? Not all will permit a 14 month old to be left in their child center. Some require children be potty trained which, of course, your little one will be very far from.

Baby sitting service/availability is by no means a promise or guarantee on some ships. Some ports you may have to not do tours. You may have to stay near/on the ship with baby.

What cruiseline/ship? How many days is this cruise?

The ship info says babysitting service is available for 1 yr old+, but subject to availability. The child center is 2+, so no, she cannot be in there. It's an 8-day cruise. We're going into this with an expectation of total flexibility. We know the baby will call the shots each day. I don't mind missing a few things if needed. Even half a free trip to Europe is better than none!

Although I agree that this will be more work than you anticipate, I suggest you go to the Special Interest boards and then to Family Cruises. Read all the posts that are appropriate for you childs age. Here is an example of what to pack for a 14 month old - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=906511&highlight=baby

On my 3 European cruises I have never seen a toddler. Compare that to the holidy cruise we took from NJ with 800 youngsters on board.

I would definately take a good stroller since this will be yours and the babies primary source of entertainment on the ship. Someone suggested one that reclines so that the baby will remain comfortable when they fall asleep. I would also look for large strudy wheels that can handle cobblestones if needed.

I would surround myself on the airplane with family. I can only assume you will buy a seat for your daughter and not have her on your lap for 8 hours + the 2 hours in the airport. I would also make sure my cabin is between family members. That way they will be close by to help and you will have less stress if the baby is fussy.

I would check the port of calls boards and get a private van for Rome and Florence. You might even want to skip the inner city in Florence and just do Pisa and the surrounding area for half a day. Not only will this give you the convenience to adjust the schedule to your child, but the price is often significantly lower than a ships excursion. Since you have a built in group, this should be even easier since most of us need to go to the roll calls to find people to share. A day excursion through the cruise line to Rome can run $300 per person and you should be able to get a recommended driver with van for half that amount per person. Just make sure you plan to get off the ship as early as possible and return at least 2 hours before the ship is due to depart. Do not take any chances with cutting your return time to the ship any closer than that. We usually go to the farthest place first and work our way back so that we are closer to the ship as it gets later. Since you are with the baby you may want to just choose only a couple of sites to see and leave the rest for another cruise.

For Villefrance I would make my way to either Monaco or Nice and spend the day. I've been to Nice and I don't remember all the hills of Villefrance. There will be many half day excursions and that might work. Take the morning excursion and then maybe you can leave your daughter with someone in the afternoon and walk up the hill to the town and enjoy the ambiance.

Good luck.

Thank you, EGG. Yes, we're getting a seat on the plane for her, we have family in cabins near us, and we have a really great stroller (and a hiking backpack/carrier). Your suggestions about the ports are exactly where we're thinking at this point, with some car rentals on our own where it's easy enough. I appreciate the tips.

I am not sure it is as good an idea to rent a car as it is to get a private driver with van. The driver will know where to park, where the bathrooms are (very limited in Europe), where to stop if you need some supplies for the baby and how to avoid traffic. If you want to visit a restaurant or a tourist spot with no available parking he will be able to drop you off and pick you up at a specified time. They can get you tickets to some tourist sites (if you ask by email ahead of time) so that you don't have to wait in line. In addition you will get commentary and both you and your husband can give the baby attention without having to worry about driving and directions. The streets are very narrow and parking is scarce in some of these cities. Getting a recommended driver is very common in Europe - just check the port of calls board. I can't stress enough to read the port of calls boards to get ideas of what you would like to do. The price of the independent tour will seem high at first until you compare it to the ships excursions. Your MIL will love you for planning this. I am sure she wants as little stress as possible for FIL and she will feel like a queen with the private driver. Just make sure everyone is agreed to be up and out as early as possible and your plan is to be back to the ship at least 2 hours early. (I said that already, didn't I).

I really don't think it's a matter of "hating" children at all. I don't know where you got that idea. Even being a very patient person, who really loves babies, I certainly never enjoy being stuck in a car/airplane with my own or anyone elses crying child. I always feel for the parent and try to help them out if I can, but I wouldn't appreciate having my sleep interrupted by the child next door, or trying to eat dinner with a fussy baby at the next table, or trying to read in a lounger with a baby crying, or being stuck on a bus with one. When you save up and pay alot of money for something I'm sure you can understand that it would be irritating to enjoy it less because of a cranky or crying child.

We all know how children get when they get overtired at that age, or in a situation they aren't used to having their routine changed everyday, and it won't be any easier to deal with in a cruise situation. I'm not saying you can't deal with it, just that it will be harder in an unfamiliar situation where you have less control over things.

Try to think about all the different situations you might have to handle with your child and think through how you will deal with them ahead of time. Be sure you list and take everything you think of that might help things to go more smoothly. Thinking it out ahead of time will make for a better trip.

As someone said you should really consider a driver or private tour guide. It will enable you to see a lot more in the time you have if you have a driver rather than driving yourself in most ports. We've driven plenty around Europe on land vacations and we find every there are points where it's very challenging even having experience with the signage, and lack thereof, and even having exact GPS directions, it's not as easy as you might think.

It is really nice to have someone to drop you off and pick you up instead of trying to find parking and have to walk a long way to the sites, someone who knows the restaurants and which one will fit your needs, where the bathrooms are, where a store is to pick up something you need.

If you want recommendations for tour guides try the ports board, European ports. People discuss best and worst tour companies, drivers, guides etc. You can do a search on the ports you are interested in and get a lot of information. If you email with tour companies ahead of time about your needs and what you wish to see they are usually very willing to work with you.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that being on a large motorcoach without a car seat would be any safer than a smaller vehicle. No matter what, if there is an accident that child would be in grave danger with no car seat. I am another who would discourage the large bus tours, if for no other reason than for the sake of the other passengers, most of whom do not want to hear a fussy baby for a couple of hours on a bus. Go ahead and flame me, but I've experienced it firsthand on a European cruise. The parents of a 16 month old were also travelling with the grandparents, but nobody could keep the child quiet. To make it worse, it seems they were on the same tour and the same bus as us at every port. The mother was always complaining that they couldn't get any baby food on the ship either. I don't mean to be rude, but most people on European cruises are well past the baby raising stage of their lives and don't want to be around a fussy baby, especially on an all day tour. I can understand your wanting to please your MIL, but perhaps you could reconsider taking tours in port and settle for simply walking around on your own.

Here's another point you need to consider with renting a van on your own. Your husband might be a map guy, but you have absolutely no idea what the roads in Europe are like. There are always accidents and you could get stuck in a bad traffic jam. I've seen this happen on many of my European cruises. And if you miss the ship, then what do you do? Renting a van in some of these areas is not like renting a van in any city here in the US.

Here's another point you need to consider with renting a van on your own. Your husband might be a map guy, but you have absolutely no idea what the roads in Europe are like. There are always accidents and you could get stuck in a bad traffic jam. I've seen this happen on many of my European cruises. And if you miss the ship, then what do you do? Renting a van in some of these areas is not like renting a van in any city here in the US.

Totally agree - the streets can be very confusing and traffic awful. I don't consider it a fun vacation when everyone is stressed because they are stuck in traffic or can't find the correct turn off, or are going to miss the ship. The street signs are not the same as they are in the US; and you are dealing with another language also. Don't do it. You are going to have stress enough on this trip.

Much better to hire someone who knows the area. Most of the time, it's less expensive for what you get then the cruise ship excursions.

Oh come on babies grow up here tooo. You can take you toddler but do be aware of the fact it will make your trip a bit different. The recomendation to take private tours ist really important.

This will solve you seat problem tooo as many tour operators will offer a seat at a fee or will be able to decide if they are able to use your own one.

Talk to the operator and perhaps you can do shorter more relaxed tours - just don't believe you will see quite as much since you may have to stop and break more often to accomodate the baby.

Heck folks many children get moved around the world at that age - one just has to adapt a bit.

Of course they do. But their homes are probably not several thousand miles away; their homes are probably within easy walking or driving distance. The comparison would be taking a 14 month old French/British/German/Italian/etc. child to the US and going to ports/places that required hours of driving one-way just to get to the center of the city or town or anywhere that is interesting. Let's say the ports are near cities that are large, crowded, and very hot. Would you think it a good idea? I mean, after all, babies grow up in the US too, so it would be the same thing as being at home, right? As for children getting moved around the world at that age and needing to "adapt." Yes, they do get moved--but usually to one specific place. They are not typically taken from city to city to city and put on scheduled bus tours for 10 hours at a time. It's simply not the same thing at all.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that being on a large motorcoach without a car seat would be any safer than a smaller vehicle. No matter what, if there is an accident that child would be in grave danger with no car seat. I am another who would discourage the large bus tours, if for no other reason than for the sake of the other passengers, most of whom do not want to hear a fussy baby for a couple of hours on a bus. Go ahead and flame me, but I've experienced it firsthand on a European cruise. The parents of a 16 month old were also travelling with the grandparents, but nobody could keep the child quiet. To make it worse, it seems they were on the same tour and the same bus as us at every port. The mother was always complaining that they couldn't get any baby food on the ship either. I don't mean to be rude, but most people on European cruises are well past the baby raising stage of their lives and don't want to be around a fussy baby, especially on an all day tour. I can understand your wanting to please your MIL, but perhaps you could reconsider taking tours in port and settle for simply walking around on your own.

I wondered about that too. It's been a while, but I'm picturing tour buses and don't see how that would be safer. Definitely private tours in vehicles with a car seat available (or provided by the parents, who will no doubt need one for the plane anyway) would be best.

I also agree with fun*n*sun about the attitude that (in essence) "anyone who doesn't want to be on a long bus tour with a no doubt fussy 14 month old or who doesn't want to be subjected to prolonged crying/screaming/fussing in public venues" must be a "child hater" (I find that term offensive). Maybe some don't realize that most of us are parents, most of us do understand the challenges of traveling with children, and most of us are happy to see families with children onboard. Almost none of us are happy to have our long-anticipated vacations disturbed repeatedly by crying/screaming/whiny children (or adults, for that matter). A caring and considerate parent removes a fussy child to a quiet and private place if the child won't calm down in a reasonable amount of time. Just because we expect parents to be considerate in that way doesn't mean we hate children. I'd wager that almost all of us have been on the other side of that and most of us have removed our children from a public area for exactly that reason.

beachchick

Archived