Is the food special on formal night?

Denis54

We have been to some of the best restaurants and have never been required to dress in any special way.

What is the big deal about formal nights? Should I expect a special meal?

We have traveled a lot but this is going to be our first cruise. I must confess that the prospect of wearing a tie does not sound attractive at all. Since I retired I have made a point of not wearing a tie. I wonder why I should have to wear a tie or a tuxedo on a cruise vacation?

We have been to some of the best restaurants and have never been required to dress in any special way.

We have traveled a lot but this is going to be our first cruise. I must confess that the prospect of wearing a tie does not sound attractive at all. Since I retired I have made a point of not wearing a tie. I wonder why I should have to wear a tie or a tuxedo on a cruise vacation?

Then do not wear one. You will most likely not be questioned. If you are questioned use the suit is in the lost luggage tip that has been pointed out on other posts.

The meals are always good, but at least one of the formal night will be lobster night.

What makes the evening special is the atmosphere. Everyone dressed for dinner and the evenings entertainment including the champagne waterfall... all just part of the cruise experiance.

Where do you live? Some names of the "best" restaurants please?

Dennis, Olive Garden, TGIF, Chillis don't count......:cool:;)

We like getting dressed up for dinner while cruising, it is a nice touch plus my dh looks sooo nice in a suit/tie or tux :)

Wear a nice neat pair of khaki and a dress shirt and you'll be fine. NO need at all for tie or even suit on formal night. I don't find the food especially different at dinner then other nights. They do offer lobster, but is frozen so nothing special. I think of all the dishes they do the meat/pasta dishes best, its harder to screw them up when cooking for a thousand then seafood.

People here will give you a hard time, ignore them. The board is like all internet forums, wealth of free information and with it comes a lot of garbage and other worst stuff :eek:

Hope you enjoy your experience on Princess. Some people really love it, for others its a once in a while ( that is us ), others hate it. Hopefully you will be in the first two groups. And it has little to do with just cabin, service, food, or what you wear;)

I live within 30 miles of extra special restaurants, but generally going to the Cheesecake Factory is a special occasion for us. But going into the dining room on a cruiseship is a whole other thing. A man can always loosen your tie and drape your jacket on your chair.

On our last cruise (with three formal nights), one of our tablemates tended to dress down so we were curious to see how he dressed on formal night. He did wear a suit with a Raiders tie (everyday he wore something representing that team).

Like this post from you? HA! You mean all the "other" posts!

People here will give you a hard time, ignore them. The board is like all internet forums, wealth of free information and with it comes a lot of garbage and other worst stuff :eek:

I live within 30 miles of extra special restaurants' date=' but generally going to the Cheesecake Factory is a special occasion for us. But going into the dining room on a cruiseship is a whole other thing. A man can always loosen your tie and drape your jacket on your chair.

On our last cruise (with three formal nights), one of our tablemates tended to dress down so we were curious to see how he dressed on formal night. He did wear a suit with a Raiders tie (everyday he wore something representing that team).[/quote']

As long as it wasn't a Dallas Cowboys tie. . .

Wear a nice neat pair of khaki and a dress shirt and you'll be fine. NO need at all for tie or even suit on formal night. I don't find the food especially different at dinner then other nights. They do offer lobster, but is frozen so nothing special. I think of all the dishes they do the meat/pasta dishes best, its harder to screw them up when cooking for a thousand then seafood.

Hope you enjoy your experience on Princess. Some people really love it, for others its a once in a while ( that is us ), others hate it. Hopefully you will be in the first two groups. And it has little to do with just cabin, service, food, or what you wear;)

Sounds like chipmaster has a chip on his shoulder!;)

Well said. I don't wear a tie either and of late have been leaving the blue blazer at home.

In answer to the original question, NONE. The meal on formal night is not that much better than other nights. Same table, same table setting, similar menu.

I live within 30 miles of extra special restaurants' date=' but generally going to the Cheesecake Factory is a special occasion for us. But

going into the dining room on a cruiseship is a whole other thing. .

How true!!!!

In our area we have a wide range of eating establishments. From the extremely high-falutin' to fast food. All comes down to the mighty dollar.

Years past, I remember my DD having to put on a jacket and tie to enter a restaurant. Now, times have changed. You see most of the diners dressed casual.

Wh not ust find a cruise linethat conforms to your dress desires?

I so agree - if one wants to be casual then take a cruise that is casual. Otherwise, on the few formal nites, simply dress casually and eat via room service or the buffet...

Why some folks can't understand this I don't understand although some just like being contrary of course.

With others I guess its so simple its too difficult :/

A lot of people like dressing up. Meals are good every night on Princess.

Do not wear a tie if you do not want to wear a tie. Most will wear a jacket, but they always seat DH when he just wears dockers and a long sleeve shirt. They just do not turn customers away from the MDR on formal night for lack of a jacket. Enjoy your cruise.

I know people do not like the way cruising is getting less formal, but that is just the way things are changing. This is especially true in Florida where many cruisers live. Unlike the North very few restaurants in Florida require a jacket.

Archived