Dry Docking

mag0737

Hi all - I'm fairly new to cruising (only one before) and new to posting. What exactly is it when a ship is due to dry dock? I'm assuming this means it "takes a week off" or so and gets a nice cleaning:D. Am I anywhere near correct for this? Thanks! I sail the AOS in July and recently read on a thread that she is due to dry dock in the spring. Just curious. :)

You are correct, dry docking means the ship is taken out of service for a period of time usually 1-4 weeks.

I believe this is mandated by the US Coast Guard to check the mechanical systems. I think I read that it must be done every 2 years (correct me if I am wrong).

The cruise lines usually use this time to make cosmetic changes to the ship which can be anything from replacing the carpet to cutting the ship in half and lengthing it (Enchantment of the Seas).

A drydock is used when maintenance needs to be done below the water line. I simply means that the ship is completely out of the water ...

70Int%20Paint%20MSC%20POESIA%20500p.jpg

canal.jpg

ship%20bottom%20with%20u%20shaped%20tank%20inside%20%28Custom%29.JPG

BTW - ships are built in a drydock (unless it rains - then the dock is not dry).

Every couple of years they need to get the ship out of the water, to scrape and paint the bottom. They will also do a deep cleaning of the cabins. Replace carpeting, bedding, etc. (although they may do the latter while underway or during cruise turnaround time). This type of dry dock usually lasts one or two weeks.

They may schedule a longer drydock to more extensive changes, up to and including extending the ship. This happened to the Enchantment a few years back. They literally cut the ship in half, inserted a new section between the front and back half's.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the reasons for AOS drydock to repair stabilizers?

Not syaing they won't do other things while she is "high and dry"

BTW folks they don't raise the ship, they lower the water.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the reasons for AOS drydock to repair stabilizers?

Not syaing they won't do other things while she is "high and dry"

BTW folks they don't raise the ship, they lower the water.

Actually there are some floating drydocks. I don't know if they can handle a Voyager class ship, but they can handle a Panamax ship ...

(Sorry about the size of this next one) ...

ResoluteDecom.jpg

the-battle-of-the-bulge-timeline-14.jpg

mammoth-floating-dry-dock-algiers-us-state-town-views-louisiana-other-louisiana-cities-38764.jpg

In%20Drydock.JPG

New Jewel update posted on June 26, 2008

Originally Posted by Albert Ross

Monarch of the SeasNov 2-9 2008

Majesty of the Seas Jan 25 - Feb 2 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas FEB 2012

Grandeur of the Seas APR 2012

Legend of the Seas Jan 18-28 2010

Enchantment of the Seas Apr 19-29 2010

Vision of the Seas JAN 2011

Splendor of the Seas MAR 2011

Jewel of the Seas New update for the Jewel - 10-18-2008 cruise canceled for DRYDOCK. - Apr 2011

Serenade of the Seas Apr2011

Radiance of the Seas Nov 2010

Brilliance of the Seas Apr2012

Navigator of the Seas Jan 29 - 5 Feb 2009

Adventure of the Seas 26APR - 06MAY 2009

Explorer of the Seas Jan 3- 13 2010

Mariner of the Seas 17-29 Sep 2010

Voyager of the Seas 03MAY - 13MAY 2009

Freedom of the Seas Oct 25 2010

Liberty of the Seas Nov 2011

Independence of the Seas Jan 2012

Just in case anyone else wants to see the Dry Dock schedule.

If anyone has any updates to add to it, please post them here and I will check them out.

Thanks. ;)

In talking with officers from engineering on Voyager and a big part of the cost of the dry dock experience is cleaning off and repainting the below the surface paint. To that end, the paint job helps keep the ship moving smothly with less drag, thus better fuel efficency.

Archived