What happens if you have to cancel?

poisonivynicole

I am booked on the Carnival Destiny in March... And no I did not purchase the insurance.... So if for some reason something goes terribly wrong and I have to cancel what happens. I dont want my money back maybe just a credit towards the next cruise. Is that possible?:confused:

No, you will not get a credit, although the timing of your possible cancellation will have a large part in determining how much of your fare you will lose. All of this was spelled out in the contract to which you agreed, but perhaps did not read (many don't, so don't beat yourself up), when you purchased the cruise.

At 57 days to go, you only would lose your deposit, but at 29 days you lose 50% and at 7 days you lose the entire amount. However, you still can purchase insurance, although be aware of what insurance does and does not cover. Cancellation for an existing medical condition is likely not covered at this point.

Last but not least, you probably should read the contract now, there are other key clauses that often come as a surprise to cruisers who do not:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

I am booked on the Carnival Destiny in March... And no I did not purchase the insurance.... So if for some reason something goes terribly wrong and I have to cancel what happens. I dont want my money back maybe just a credit towards the next cruise. Is that possible?:confused:

Anything is possible, but I would not expect anything over and above what the terms of the contract allow. If the cruise lines were to give you an OBC or a refund it would be like saying, the contract doesn't matter and you can cancel any time.

By all means ask, but don't expect any compensation.

Look around, there is other insurance besides Carnival and you should be able to still buy it.

I have a question for you, why on earth would you think Carnival would give you credit for cancelling without insurance? They offer insurance, which you chose not to buy, so why is that their issue? Also, you have to have a legit reason to cancel in order to get a refund from insurance bought through someone else. It's really not that expensive.

We've bought it for all of our cruises, never had to use it, but you just never know do you?

You never DO know. We've never had to postpone or cancel a cruise... until now. Two weeks ago I was comparing insurance policies. Our final payment is due in two weeks. This past week, my DH had surgery, and now we are looking at radiation treatments. I'm fortunate that I can cancel without penalty, but if this had happened just a few weeks later - it would have involved some loss of the vacation investment. I'll probably wait a week or so before cancelling "just in case" he might be able to travel, but I doubt it.

We have purchased insurance for each of our cruises. Haven't needed it, but would have this trip.

So, basically, you're asking for the benefits of travel insurance without getting the insurance? Don't risk it and think you're that lucky. Some people may be able to squeeze by and get a miracle handed to them. The rest of us just buy the dang insurance :P

balcony bound-This past week, my DH had surgery, and now we are looking at radiation treatments.

I will keep Your DH and your family in my prayers.

I'll probably wait a week or so before cancelling "just in case" he might be able to travel, but I doubt it.

Ask his Dr.??? never hurts to ask. It is really up to your DH on how he is feeling, and at what stage of radiation he is at.

Best of Wishes for you and your family.

You can still buy insurance, it will probably just not cover pre existing issues.

Don't buy from carnival, look online for a better price. I use T..... G....

You can buy CSA Freestyle with waiver of pre-existing conditions, as late as Final Payment. If you have Carnival's cruise insurance, and have to cancel and it turns out to be for a pre-existing medical reason, you can get Credit on a futire cruise. ken

Archived