How does Princess determine capacity?

Poulsbo Cruisers

I am very interested in how Princess determines passenger capacity. We are scheduled to sail on the Crown Princess in June. Princess shows the total capacity as 3,080. Is this the maximum capacity if every cabin was utilized to the maximum? In other words, would this be the capacity achieved if every cabin that had 3rd and 4th passenger room was so filled? Or is this the maximum capacity that the ship can handle for safety purposes? Or is this the maximum capacity based on two passengers per cabin? Or something else?

I agree the capacity as stated by the cruiseline is figured at two persons per room. The actual capacity as determined by the Coast Guard is figured by the number of seats in the lifeboats. What I find fascinating is that the number of cabins seems to fluctuate depending on the source, Princess currently says capacity of 3070, which would be 1535 cabins, but several sources show the Crown as having more rooms than that . (And I don't particularly feel like counting the spaces on the deck plans to figure out the true number.)

I would hope that the Coast Guard count as pertains to places to occupy life vessels would be the count for the entire ship if completely filled with room for the extra entertainers (well most of them). If done correctly they would count those cabins where you could have the 3rd or 4th person as well.

For marketing sense, I'm sure they count the double occupancy as the target. The brochure might actually be to total possible px. Boy is this confusing!

I would hope that the Coast Guard count as pertains to places to occupy life vessels would be the count for the entire ship if completely filled with room for the extra entertainers (well most of them). If done correctly they would count those cabins where you could have the 3rd or 4th person as well.
The Coast Guard count for the crew is separate, but most crew do not get the big lifeboats; those oil drum sized containers you see on deck hold inflatable rafts for them. Some entertainers do get assigned pax cabins, so would be allowed onto the pax lifeboats. Also, it is quite common to have the lifeboat seat capacity be less than the complete filled 3rd 4th berths number; so sometimes the cruiseline will not allow a booked pax to add a 3rd person last minute even though they are already booked into a cabin with a 3rd berth. Once the seat capacity number is reached, they cannot sell any more space on the ship, even if there is an empty bed.

On a cheerful the USCG require thathe total capacity of all the survival craft on board will always exceed the total number of passengers and crew. If every berth on the ship was filled and the crew were fully staffed there would still be sufficient survival capacity assuming all craft could be launched.

Unfortunately it has often been difficult to launch all the lifeboats since they hang on davits and if the ship is tipping to one side then the lifeboats on the higher side might well not be able to be lowered. That is why the white canisters are available since they roll over and you get to slide/jump down the side of the ship. Not a fun experience I can assure you. So the surviival craft capacity will be considerably more than the number of souls on board.

If you travel on a greek registerd ship around greece it might just be worth asking this question to the shipping line and see what comforting answer they give you :)

Archived