hotel on the grand canal venice

Spygirl13

Check out www.venere.com They have a nice map showing the location of the hotel, photos, reviews and you don't pay for the hotel up front.

I stayed at Ca' Doge at Piazzale Roma for the convenience of transport, but there was a hotel there Hotel Santa Chiara (I think) that was right on the Grand Canal. All depends on what location you decide you want. There are a ton of hotels on the Grand Canal.

Hi, can anyone give me a recommendation for a night after our cruise in Venice? I would like to stay on the Grand Canal with a view if possible!

Years ago I stayed at the paginelli. its right on grand canal, but is relatively inexpensive.. right near some of thi higher priced hotels. they have a annex around the corner, so you would have to be sure to ask for a room in the main building. It was very nice, clean, attactive rooms. The Danieli is right down the street if you want to really splurge.

There are many hotels on the Grand Canal and check out www.veniceby.com for a good guide. google Ca'Angeli (affordable and great views) and The Rialto (moderate prices and good position) as two personal recommendations, but if you have a Big Budget the Gritti Palace has a great location.

First, know that the Grand Canal snakes its way through Venice in a large "S"...There are a lot of locations on the Grand Canal...

One we've stayed in and enjoyed is the Carlton:

http://www.carltongrandcanal.com/en/

It's right on the Grand Canal near Piazzale Roma and across from the Railroad Station...It's got its own dock on the Grand Canal and is also near a Vaporetti station on the main Grand Canal routes as well as one of the three bridges that crosses the Grand Canal...You've probably got to request one of the rooms fronting the Grand Canal...We had a courtyard room...This is one of the larger hotels right on the canal...

Thanks for all your responses! I did some research on and found the Hotel Antiche Figure on trip advisor. It looks great on the website and has a beautiful canal view but I am not sure about the location. The one thing I am worried about is taking all the luggage from the cruise ship to the hotel! Has anyone stayed here and how convenient is it to take a water taxi or other transportation there? Here is the address:

Fondamenta San Simeon Piccolo, 686

30135 Venezia

While the area near the train station is not my favourite area (IMO Dorsoduro is the best) that hotel would be easy to get to from a cruise ship. Suttle bus to Piazzale Roma then walking distance or one Vaporetto stop from there.

I just posted a response about this hotel on another thread. We had a wonderful experience there. The water taxis are abudant since you are so close to the train station. Don't let the train station keep you away. You certainly hear nothing. Since many of the rides begin there, you can get on with your luggage without great crowds. When we were there, several families were getting ready to go on cruises. You can email the property itself. They are very good about writing back.

We stayed at Hotel Sturion next to the Rialto Bridge and it was wonderful. But you have to walk about 80 stairs to get to its third floor entrance as there is no elevator. Personally I enjoyed every step! Our room opened to the Grand Canal and I sat for hours on the windowsill watching all the activity below.

Thanks for all your responses! I did some research on and found the Hotel Antiche Figure on trip advisor. It looks great on the website and has a beautiful canal view but I am not sure about the location. The one thing I am worried about is taking all the luggage from the cruise ship to the hotel! Has anyone stayed here and how convenient is it to take a water taxi or other transportation there? Here is the address:

Fondamenta San Simeon Piccolo, 686

30135 Venezia

I also wanted a Grand Canal view, but this can be quite expensive. I considered Antiche Figure, but I cannot comment on it as I finally settled on Pensione Accademia in the Dosodoro district, and what a charmer it was! If I stood directly at my window, I could see abit of the Grand Canal...not exactly Front Row Center, but the hotel itself was so pleasant and well located, I would definately stay there again. The front garden (where one can take their breakfast) looks on a canal, and it is an easy walk to all major sights.

As to transport, just talk to people on your cruise and you will probably find others going in your direction, and then, share a water taxi. Its quite possible to trek around with your luggage on public transport, but if you only save $30-50 and waste 1 hour or more, plus the aggravation, better to do the shared taxi.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you have found a hotel on the Grand Canal, but my suggestion if you want to keep it at a good price point and closely located to the Piazzle Roma to get to the ship port would be Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal. This is where I am staying and I know someone who stayed there and recommended it highl....I paid $165 with an expedia.com $20 discount. Otherwise the Rialto is great hotel in the $250 price point. A gorgeous hotel in the $400 price point is the around St. Marks and it starts with a B...I can't recall the name.

I hope this helps

Having stayed at the Gritti Palace, the Bauer and the Danieli , I far prefer the Pensione Academia. It is in the Dorsoduro area and is absolutely lovely. It has a wonderful garden where breakfast is served and it is a small and very welcoming hotel with only 29 rooms. The price is good... around 200E, but what makes it special is the staff who remember you each time you return.

Karen

• 4 months later...

We've stayed at the Hotel Rialto once and the Monaco and Grand Canal twice. We loved both and both are at vaporetto stops. Outside the front door of the Hotel Rialto is an area tucked beside the bridge where one can sit in the evening and drink wine with your feet actually dangling above the water of the canal...a perfect spot for absorbing Venice. Hotel Rialto also had a stone terrace about 2 floors above the sidewalk and overlooking the canal...a perfect spot for an afternoon picnic.

Try to get up early one morning and go for a walk along the canal and watch the workers arriving and opening their respective operations. I have awesome photos of the GC virtually empty of people.

Archived