ironing rooms and/or self service laundry

marco

Unfortunately, I don't think any of their ships have the self-laundry/ironing bd. I know, I really enjoyed these amenities on QM2 & HAL (and/or Celebrity). RCI makes some $ this way. Wait for the $ by the bag or bring a small bottle of Woolite. :o

I'm kinda anal when it comes to wrinkled clothes. Is the No Iron policy a safety thing? Can we bring our own travel irons?

The no iron is a safety policy and no you aren't allowed to bring your own travel iron.

If you pack correctly, you shouldn't have that many wrinkles. What few wrinkles I do have after packing I just use the steam from the shower to release.

so you're forced to either pay money to have your clothes ironed, or walk around like you just stepped out of your luggage? :confused::confused::confused:

No, you have other options which include steaming wrinkles out of your clothes by using the steam from the shower in your bathroom, using a product like Downey Wrinkle Release, or packing your clothes in ways that minimize wrinkling. If wrinkled clothes are your most serious concern, consider yourself lucky. As others have also mentioned the prices for laundry, pressing and dry cleaning services are pretty reasonable but you are not forced to use them.:)

Thanks everyone! I guess we'll just wear them in the shower, pool, or jacuzzi. Or just walk around with wrinked clothes. We're taking the Explorer Sunday out of NJ. We prefer HAL and Princess, but we didn't want to fly to Fla, and as HAL pulled the "Noordam" south, (we were on that last year) and we don't really like the freestyle option of NCL, we opted for the Explorer., as those were the only two choices out of NY/NJ. We were on RCI about 10 years ago. Everyone talks about upgrades, well,,,, we were DOWNGRADED and got not only no compensation, we got NO explanation. Needelss to say, we havent' been on RCI since. But as it's going to be 80 degrees and sunny and I'll be on vacation, so I'm sure I will have NO complaints!

Count me as another fan of Downy Wrinkle Releaser. Seems to work great on a variety of fabrics and is cheap, quick, and easy to use. Febreeze likely works about as well.

Another tip is to pack dress clothes in the plastic bags that dry cleaners use - that seems to minimize the amount of wringles that occur during transit. Not sure of the physics behind it, but someone recommended that on Cruise Critic and I tried it on my last cruise and it certainly appeared to help a great deal.

I always travel with an empty, small plastic spray bottle. When filled with warm water, you can easily "spritz" your clothes and the wrinkles will fall out. I usually do this when unpacking and putting clothes on hangars.

If there are wrinkles however.... I could absolutely, positively, 100% give a damn.

Count me as another fan of Downy Wrinkle Releaser. Seems to work great on a variety of fabrics and is cheap, quick, and easy to use. Febreeze likely works about as well.

Another tip is to pack dress clothes in the plastic bags that dry cleaners use - that seems to minimize the amount of wringles that occur during transit. Not sure of the physics behind it, but someone recommended that on Cruise Critic and I tried it on my last cruise and it certainly appeared to help a great deal.

Tissue paper also works. Again, the mysterious laws of physics.

Now me, I bring foldable, unwrinkly clothes whenever possible. DH's shirts, is the only problem & even that is solvable as mentioned.

Sorry, but the whole RCI "no irons are permitted due to safety concerns" is such a crock to me;)

Please explain to me how Princess can have self service laundry on every other floor with iron/ironing boards and does not constitue a safety violation while RCI maintains it does. This is a revenue stream, pure and simple. It has been debated tirelessly on these boards; everything from the amount of electricity that a travel iron uses in comparision to the electricity a blow dryer uses. Please don't flame me- while I really do like the RCI product this is just a no-brainer to me:)

Sorry, but the whole RCI "no irons are permitted due to safety concerns" is such a crock to me;)

Please explain to me how Princess can have self service laundry on every other floor with iron/ironing boards and does not constitue a safety violation while RCI maintains it does. This is a revenue stream, pure and simple. It has been debated tirelessly on these boards; everything from the amount of electricity that a travel iron uses in comparision to the electricity a blow dryer uses. Please don't flame me- while I really do like the RCI product this is just a no-brainer to me:)

No flamer! Good question. I think RCI would rather stick a cabin in there and make money (also for charging for cleaners). Bottom line, baby! Cheers!

I don't really see what's "odd" about it. Princess has self-service laundry ROOMS, that can be monitored/cleaned/checked by staff & crew onboard. Royal Caribbean doesn't have a special room or anything like a public laundry room.

On Royal Caribbean, guests who have irons in their private rooms, have no way of being monitored. (Until the fire/sprinkler alarm goes off) :eek: The room steward enters once or twice a day. So the fire hazard argument is correct. Of course, passengers would never leave an iron turned on in their stateroom......but there is no way to know, until someone does and a fire starts.

if anyone is on my cruise, i'll be setting up shop ironing clothes at a competitive price :) :rolleyes:

You'll have to remember to beat these price's......:D

Pressing is 1/2 the listed price's........

MEN WASH & PRESS:

Bathrobe $4.00

Handkerchief $ .75

Jeans $3.50

Pajamas $4.25

Pants $4.00

Shirt $3.50

Shirt/T-shirt $2.75

Shorts $3.00

Socks $1.25

Sweatshirt $3.50

Underwear $1.25

MEN DRY CLEANING:

Coat $8.25

Jacket $5.00

Pajamas, silk $5.00

Pants $4.50

Shirt $4.00

Shorts $3.50

Suit $9.00

Sweater $4.50

Tie $2.25

Vest $3.00

WOMAN WASH & PRESS:

Blouse $4.00

Dress $6.00

Hosiery $1.25

Housecoat $3.75

Nightgown $3.50

Skirt $4.00

Slacks $4.00

Slip $2.75

Swimsuit $2.25

WOMAN DRY CLEANING:

Blouse $4.50

Blouse, silk $6.00

Dress $8.00

Dress, silk $9.50

Evening Dress $9.50

Scarf $2.75

Skirt $5.00

Slacks $4.50

Suit $9.00

Pressing only: is 1/2 the cost

"Crock"or not and regardless of whether or not you believe their reasoning, the fact remains that irons, including travel irons, are specifically banned on all RCI ships. There are also reports that NCL is removing self-service laundry rooms from their ships and converting the space into more staterooms.

Pass the popcorn, please. :rolleyes:

Please Please Please do not compare your "travel iron" to those in a Princess "laundromat!"

May I please set the stage for those who have not traveled with Princess?

Yes, there are washers and dryers and ironing boards with {irons that are programed BY MINUTES} meaning..... that if some careless person FORGETS to turn off a very HOT iron, it will MAGICALLY go OFF by itself!

This iron won't potentially slide off the counter in your cabin (while it's supposedly cooling off). Clothes irons are designed to be very hot and they are a real danger on a moving vessel, and therefore are not permitted in cabins on ANY cruise line.

I'm sorry that RCI does not afford it's passengers the convenience of having onboard laundry facilities.... but please don't make up for it by bringing your own irons.

Thanks everyone! I guess we'll just wear them in the shower, pool, or jacuzzi. Or just walk around with wrinked clothes. We're taking the Explorer Sunday out of NJ. We prefer HAL and Princess, but we didn't want to fly to Fla, and as HAL pulled the "Noordam" south, (we were on that last year) and we don't really like the freestyle option of NCL, we opted for the Explorer., as those were the only two choices out of NY/NJ. We were on RCI about 10 years ago. Everyone talks about upgrades, well,,,, we were DOWNGRADED and got not only no compensation, we got NO explanation. Needelss to say, we havent' been on RCI since. But as it's going to be 80 degrees and sunny and I'll be on vacation, so I'm sure I will have NO complaints!

I pack a travel steamer.

Okay, I'll nibble:D There have been numerous opportunities (with all of the new ships they have built over the past ten years) to add self-serve laundry on their ships. Heck, they could probably pull a couple of inside cabins and retro-fit them with laundry rooms (you know the cabins I'm talking about; the inside cabins that they end up practically giving away to fill the ship). There are apparently many people that would love to have that option, and yes I'm one of them. They choose to fill those potential spaces with cabins, which is completely within their right.

I just think they are missing an opportunity to provide added value and choice to the customer experience. To be honest with you a laundry room with a nominal fee for the use of washer/dryer/ironing capability would probably be well received. With restrictions on luggage/weight limits it seems that offering a self-serve laundry would be a customer-friendly approach. If they offered this option it would give the consumer a choice; send your laundry out or do it yourself.

And by the way I don't bring a travel iron with me, I suck it up and send my laundry out to be pressed;)

Archived