First Timers Looking for Advice

Beechnut99

HI

We are booked on the Sapphire Princess out of Vancouver Aug 8.09

It's a 7 day Glaciers Cruise with a 5 night land tour (UA5)

2 nights in Mt McKinley Princess Lodge and 2 in Denali Princess Lodge. The last night is back in Seattle waiting for our roundtrip airfare.

I would really appreciate any help in planning excoursions. I would love to do a dogsled, but it looks like it may have to be combined with a heli ride to get a good one at that time of the year. The train looks interesting. but I have no other information on the optional day excoursions while onboard.

This is what I have. What would be the best to do.

thanks for you help

Departure

Vancouver, British Columbia

4:30 PM

At Sea

Ketchikan, Alaska

6:30 AM

2:00 PM

Juneau, Alaska

8:00 AM

9:00 PM

Skagway, Alaska

7:00 AM

8:30 PM

Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska (Scenic Cruising)

6:00 AM

3:00 PM

College Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising)

5:30 PM

8:30 PM

Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska

12:30 AM

Day Destination

Whittier/Denali

Disembark your ship in Whittier and board the Denali Express at the dock for direct rail service to Denali National Park. Check into the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge for a 2-night retreat.

Denali

This morning, take the Natural History Tour into Denali National Park. Enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure to relax at the lodge or opt for an excursion.

Denali/Mt. McKinley

Enjoy a morning at your own pace, then sightsee by motorcoach to the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge - your home for the next two nights.

Mt. McKinley

The entire day is free to spend as you choose. Visit the Outfitter Desk for a selection of optional excursions to explore the area.

Mt. McKinley/Seattle

This morning, motorcoach to Anchorage for your flight to Seattle. Enjoy a night in the Emerald City.

This is another vote for the Tundra Wilderness Tour to replace the Natural History Tour. You MUST make the change.;) The NHT goes about 16 miles into the park - the TWT goes at least 53 or so and sometimes (both times I've gone:D) 62 miles. It's SO worth the extra money.

If you used a travel agent they can make the switch to the Tundra Wilderness Tour for you. You wil have to pay the difference. The operators will not let you make the change if you booked with a travel agent. I tried. So I had my tavel agent do it Friday. To get a look at some of the activities at the Lodges go to http://www.princesslodges.com. Select the lodge you are staying in. Half way down the page it shows the activities available to purchase just like the shore excursion on the ship. Hope this helps.

Roseanna

If you used a travel agent they can make the switch to the Tundra Wilderness Tour for you. You wil have to pay the difference. The operators will not let you make the change if you booked with a travel agent. I tried. So I had my tavel agent do it Friday. To get a look at some of the activities at the Lodges go to www.princesslodges.com. Select the lodge you are staying in. Half way down the page it shows the activities available to purchase just like the shore excursion on the ship. Hope this helps.

Roseanna

Thankyou do you know about how much the difference in price is?

Sorry I do NOT recommend having an agent book the Tundra Wilderness tour for you, do it yourself, so to get the EXACT information and time you want. You will want one that picks up at your lodge and NOT the access center. Just have your agent CANCEL and get refunded the Natural History tour, and YES, you can do this with a cruise tour.

However, in my opinion the shuttle buses are superior, since it is all about distance into the park, more equals more scenery and wildlife. My min, is Eielson, mile 66. I would never consider any less. Shuttle buses run about 1/3 the cost of the tour buses. You do have to bring all your own food and drink, but you would be best advised to do so also on the tour buses. You can book this yourself via the same as the TWT. STATE you are on a cruisetour, so as to not be charged twice for the park admission.

All the details of the bus options http://www.nps.gov/dena

Do your homework so you fully understand what you have purchased and make better touring choices.

If you used a travel agent they can make the switch to the Tundra Wilderness Tour for you. You wil have to pay the difference. The operators will not let you make the change if you booked with a travel agent. I tried. So I had my tavel agent do it Friday. To get a look at some of the activities at the Lodges go to http://www.princesslodges.com. Select the lodge you are staying in. Half way down the page it shows the activities available to purchase just like the shore excursion on the ship. Hope this helps.

Roseanna

There is no reason to "switch". As I suggest, an agent is best for just canceling and getting the refund. Nothing more. THEN just book a bus yourself, one that YOU want and works best for your priority of touring.

OK Will look into it. Thank you

I do have a quesiton about food. coming off the ship and then spending 2 nights in the lodge, how do we get the food or snaks to take on the shuttle bus? Is there a 'take out' that packs a box lunch or something like that.

One of our travellers is diabetic, so just curious.

OK Will look into it. Thank you

I do have a quesiton about food. coming off the ship and then spending 2 nights in the lodge, how do we get the food or snaks to take on the shuttle bus? Is there a 'take out' that packs a box lunch or something like that.

One of our travellers is diabetic, so just curious.

There are several food options right near the Denali Princess. Subway is open 24 hours, but I do give an edge to Bubb's Subs. Nothing else but Princess at the McKinley Princess. Budget 50% more than you would at home for a ballpark figure.

Sorry I do NOT recommend having an agent book the Tundra Wilderness tour for you, do it yourself, so to get the EXACT information and time you want. You will want one that picks up at your lodge and NOT the access center. Just have your agent CANCEL and get refunded the Natural History tour, and YES, you can do this with a cruise tour.

However, in my opinion the shuttle buses are superior, since it is all about distance into the park, more equals more scenery and wildlife. My min, is Eielson, mile 66. I would never consider any less. Shuttle buses run about 1/3 the cost of the tour buses. You do have to bring all your own food and drink, but you would be best advised to do so also on the tour buses. You can book this yourself via the same as the TWT. STATE you are on a cruisetour, so as to not be charged twice for the park admission.

All the details of the bus options www.nps.gov/dena

Do your homework so you fully understand what you have purchased and make better touring choices.

Are you referring to Eielson AFB, just outside of Fairbanks? I haven't been there since I stayed in their BOQ in 1979. Does Santa's House (the gift shop) still exist, in North Pole, AK (just down the road from Eielson)?

Are you referring to Eielson AFB, just outside of Fairbanks? I haven't been there since I stayed in their BOQ in 1979. Does Santa's House (the gift shop) still exist, in North Pole, AK (just down the road from Eielson)?

No, there is an Eielson Visitor Center, mile 66 of the Park Road in Denali Park. Yes the airforce base is still there, can drive right along side of it via the Richardson. And yep, the big santa gift shop is still attracting plenty of tourists!!!

Budget Queen,

What is the difference between the shuttle bus and the tour bus?

Thanks,

Roseanna

In my opinion, depends. :) The tour buses do have the video system and tv set up for viewing. Would never be anything I'm interested in. I want the whole experience, looking via binoculars- at least 10 power and at the surroundings. Everyone is different, IF this is of priority to you, then it will be well worth it. The problem for me with the tours also is the distance, I won't consider less then Eielson, mile 66, it's a big bear area that I have always had excellent sightings from. The TWT is 13 miles less. The tour buses do offer a snack, you have to bring all your own food and drink on the shuttle buses, but I would advise you to do this as well on the tour buses. The tour buses, most of the time are full, every seat. Usually not so on the shuttle buses which hold back space to pick ups along the way. You can leave the shuttle buses at any safe point without wildlife. Then just return to the road and get on another bus. Tour buses are loaded with commentary. I've always had shuttle bus drivers who freely answered questions, and most important, knew the park extensively. Used their knowledge for areas of prior wildlife hot spots. I've gone so many times, I don't find the little "facts" the priority of the access. If you truely want to know more, there are excellent books. Finally, the tour buses are triple the cost of the shuttle buses and go the least distance. The Toklat Shuttle bus goes the same as the TWT for $25. If there for 2 full days, it is worthwhile to go in twice, if you have nothing else of interest.

The shuttle buses load at the Access Center. Most of the tour buses load at lodges. A benefit without a car.

Waht would be the best rail tour to do, and how much time does it take? I would love to do a dog sled , but oh my !! the prices!!

The White Pass RR out of Skagway is the scenic top choice. Loaded with history, superior scenery and engineering marvels. 3 1/2 hours round trip. There are several combo rail/bus tours as well.

Interior Alaska, by far, the best portion of the Alaska RR is Seward/Anchorage. 4 /12 hours

Anchorage/Denali park 8 hours, a lot of trees and without Mckinley viewable, which it seldom is, gets repeative for me. Denali/Fairbanks, another 4 hours, similar

just because i said i would do this, and because it's 1a.m. and i'm not ready for bed yet, here are some #s and websites for Skagway and my comments and directions....

I have not been there since 2006 so if the # is changed, i guess you'll find out when you call it~! *sorry*

white pass and yukon route train: http://www.wpyr.com or call 1-800-343-7373 or 907-983-2217 or email them at info@whitepass.net

klondike gold drege only 1.7 miles from downtown skagway..... http://www.klondikegolddredge.com or call tollfree 1-877-983-3175

the Days of '98 show GoldRush Productions: daysof98@aptalaska.net or call 907-983-2545 if that doesn't work try thedaysof98show@hotmail.com or try http://www.alaskan.com/daysof98

Jewell Gardens (the best kept secret of Skagway - visit here and see the enormous vegetables and other garden items~! Also the cute little train that goes around the garden... Overall, a beautiful way to spend a beautiful day if you are not on a tour~!!) Pick up a map for a self-guided walking tour... http://www.jewellgardens.com or phone 907-983-2111

the Mountain Shop (outerwear, etc) http://www.packerexpeditions.com ((someone was writing here asking me about this, to that person if you are reading: Yes, you were right, it is the Packer Expedition company (the Mountain Shop is their shop across the street from their "home".... ) 907-983-2544

Skagway Air Service (mostly for touring or for trips we took to Juneau) these guys are the best pilots... they deliver the mail everyday, too~!! http://www.skagwayair.com or call 907-983-3318

if you wish to go "glacier flightseeing" in a small plane rather than a helicopter, try the L.A.B. Flying Service, locally in skagway they are on Broadway one block before Wells Fargo on the left side of Broadway... 907-983-2471... or tollfree 1800-426-0543. they also fly in Juneau.

Gold Rush Trail Camp and salmon bake..... 907-983-3333

sourdough car rentals rental@aptalaska.com or call 907-209-5026 (year round phone) or local phone 907-983-2523 or http://www.geocities.com/sourdoughcarrentals

Bicycle rental: is available at... Sockeye Cycle CALL 907-983-2851 .....go up Broadway to 5th and make a left turn, you'll see it there on your left about 30yards from the corner..... you can rent a bicycle as well as helmet... these guys are all bike-lovers and will really help you out....

If you are determined to do the helicopter thing but not with your ship's tours, you can *try* to book an independent tour (but this is virtually impossible as they are pretty well booked primarily by the ships.... but you can try.....) http://www.temscoair.com

Pick the appropriate location, skagway or juneau.... or call toll free 1-866-683-2900 or 907-983-2900 in skagway; or toll free 1-877-789-9501 or 907-789-9501 for Juneau

Chilkoot Trail (Excursions) (hike the chilkoot trail, pickup, dropoff, shuttle, Dyea, and Log Cabin) http://www.frontierexcursions.com or email info@frontierexcursions.com or call toll free 1-877-983-2512

for other independent tours needs, try:

M&M tours...... licensed by the city of skagway... 1-866-983-3900 or 1-907-983-3900 http://www.skagwayadventures.com While they do offer just about everything that is available on your ship, they are a small operation and do not have the capacity capability of the tour companies that the cruise ships contract with... this is a good choice for large groups/big families especially if you are challenged by the cost that your group would incur on the ship's tour (total$)

Skagway Float Tours, they offer a scenic float or a hike and float.... I did the hike and float with my mom and it was excellent... i had a great guide who truly loved the outdoors and about hiking and was very knowledgable about everything around us, and we had also a fabulous time on the raft, it was not rough at all, it was totally flat but very nice; the guides to all the rafting/steering/paddling, plus they all go through extensive training prior to the seaon, plus they are all pretty much recruited from other float companies i.e. in Colorado etc, and they come up for a summer in skagway.... great people.....907-983-3688 http://www.skagwayfloat.com

would you like a kayak tour? try sea kayaking adventures.... 907-983-3769 no exp. necessary, 2-person kayaks... all with gear and instructions, 2-and-a-half-hour tours, courtesy pickup and dropoff etc., all accompanied by an experienced naturalist....

the Skagway Streetcar company (also utilized by the ships)... 907-983-2908 very cute and fun, girls (driver/guides) in full authentic costume~!

If you would like a LOCAL person to give you a great tour, consider GWEN - she operates the "Discover Skagway" tours... 1-866-983-TOUR.... she has vans for groups small or large, she is excellent.... go to discoverskagway.com or also call.......1-954-292-0161 or 907-983-2134 Her tours are very similar to the ship's "Skagway highlights" tour or something similarly named.... When i was there she offered combo tours

i.e. Historic Skagway+JewellGardens+theWhitePassSummit+a final stop at "the Overlook"......

or Historic Skagway+GoldRushCemetary+WhitePassSummit+the Overlook......

or Historic Skagway+GoldRushCemetary+JewellGardens+the Overlook

all tours are about 2-and-a-half hours, group rates available

Other businesses you'll find in Skagway that are intersesting to go into and see how they "live" up in these parts:

The Skaguay News Depot (and bookstore) (and no, that is not a typo) they have a website at http://www.skagwaybooks.com (that is the correct spelling, too) or phone 907-983-3354 it is open year-round.......

the Skagway True Value Hardware (honest~! i've known people to just go there to see what is sold up here - !!)

the Internet Cafe (where all the cruise-ship crew go for internet time~!) it's on 2nd street at the corner of State (one street over from Broadway) take Broadway to 2nd... then walk over one more block...... It's a very run-down-looking white building with a blue front porch and 99% of the people "hanging out" here are the ships crew but the staff is very helpful to the passengers, too, here is where you can "borrow" a phone for 2-bucks and make a call back to the states with a calling card.... the pay-phones in Skagway are few and far between.... if you can get to one before a crew member does.... FYI, not all cellphone service is available in skagway, so if you bring your cell phone, it may or may not work...

Also, just a few more FYI's......... you'll also find in Skagway.....

the Fraternal Order of Eagles, #25 (it's behind the building where the Days of '98 show takes place)

an Elks Lodge (on state street)

a Wells Fargo Bank, right next to the US post office (on broadway) (now Wells Fargo and Wachovia are joining, so if you have Wachovia, you can use the ATM here for that)

a grocery store (a couple blocks over from broadway, on either 3rd or 4th)

one gas station~! (on 2nd and state, right beside the internet cafe)

and don't forget the Skagway Convention and Visitor Bureau, inside the AB Building (covered with little twigs and sticks, you can't miss it)... on the corner of 2nd and Broadway 907-983-2854

also don't forget the KLONDIKE GOLD RUSH (Skagway) NATIONAL HISTORIC PARK VISITOR'S CENTER on the corner of 1st and Broadway (right beside the train depot and behind the big Red and Black snow-blower train engine) The park rangers are here and they give free tours around the historic parts of the town, usually 3 or 4 times a day, maybe more, in the busy season -- definitely a must-do if you're not touring and want something interesting and free....

an interesting place that I never made it to... the Skagway Sculpture and Flower Garden... on Spring Street across from city hall... go up Broadway to 8th and turn right.....

also nearby here is the Skagway Museum... as well as the famous all-girls school.... (the name escapes me at the moment...)

oh don't forget to go inside CORRINGTON'S (shop) on Broadway, there's a free 'museum' inside containing all sorts of interesting artifacts from the history of this area including goldminer's things as well as animal artifacts.....

the Red Onion Saloon gives a tour of the upstairs (it was a brothel) but you should know to look for the time (written on a chalkboard i think) and maximum capacity of the tour, and be there for when they announce it, and i think it's just $5 or something like that, very cute little tour, given by a "madam" in full costume, of course......... 907-983-2222

for dining i can recommend a few of my favorite places:

1-the Haven Cafe (on State between 8th and 9th) (one street over from Broadway, just go up Broadway and turn left on 8th, then turn right on State) a small "artsy-type" coffee-shop with handmade sandwiches and all sorts of healthy fare, as well as a wide variety of interesting coffees/latte's/mocha's/etc... and an amazing array of reading materials~!!

2-i can't remember the name but it's on 3rd, just go up Broadway to 3rd, turn left, then you'll see it on the right, it has mostly italian menu and pizza but it's delicious, especially the pasta with seafood, they usually combo halibut with salmon, or atleast they did for me~! de-lish~!!!

3-Sabrosa's = this funky and fun little "dive" was my favorite of all~!! a couple of gals ran this joint, they were awesome~! everything is made fresh to order. range of choices include eNORMous burritoes, massively stuffed baked potatoes, omelets, and giant sandwiches.... all the trendy 'healthy' drinks, etc,... my favorite is the stuffed baked potato topped with shredded chicken and topped with salsa, sour cream, and cheese......mmmmmmmmmm~! i miss it~! It's on Broadway...... go up Broadway toward the Wells Fargo bank and post office... it's across the street.... tucked into a little alleyway.... look for a yellow-painted fence and vinyl-covered tables......

well i hope i didn't leave anything out...... ya'll just go on and have some fun~!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: i am not related to nor do i have any business association with any of the above mentioned organizations. just passing on the info I have gathered from when I lived there.

:-)

Archived