LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

It seems that both of the last two sailings have had a rough time on the way back to NJ. Anyone have any idea if this is simply weather related (or typical for this time of year), or if it is due to the prop problem? I am so disappointed. We have 20 friends and family sailing and we paid for 16 of them. None of them have cruised before and we have been talking up how great it is since we booked 2 years ago. We told them about the lobster (now no longer offered), the ports (now seemingly cut short with cancelled excursions), and have comforted some nervous folks about how you don't even know the ship is moving and to not be afraid of rough seas (now, apparently the past 2 sailings have had a rough time, enough to make the pools unusable and folks sick). Please don't respond with the "Well I'll have fun no matter what" line. I get it. I'm sure we'll all have fun too. But we were trying to win everyone over to the world of cruising, but with all of these changes it seems as though it will be more of a disappointment. This is not the type of experience we wanted for everyone:(:(:(

Regarding the rough seas, the situation is that you are sailing from/into the North Atlantic during the winter and yes the seas can be rough. Usually it is when the ship is passing around the Outer Banks of North Carolina because that is where you are cutting into and out of the Gulf Stream. When we sailed out last Sept. it was rough just because of T.S. Hannah. That is just hte way it is with the weather out of N.J. Sometimes you can be fortunate and get a smooth sail and I have had that as well. I really do not think that a 2 knot drop in speed is enough to cause the roughness of the sail because the ship does have the stabilizers and they do help a little.

When the weather is like that, they will close the pools becuase as the ship is moving, the water is splahing out of the pool (sometimes). From the experience I have had, I have witnessed water moving around in the pools because the ship is moving, but I have not felt the movem,ent at the same time. In fact, If I did not watch the water int he pools, I would not know the ship was moving with the waves.

Lobster now cut? I had lobster last Sept on my 5 night Bermuda cruise. I have not heard anything about having them cut yet. If so, can someone confirm that?

The only thing I can agree with you on is the time difference in the ports that may or may not affect excursions. It would be a huge dissapointment if an axcursion that I was really looking forward to was cancelled.

I know that many will disagree with my feelings, but first of all, I have only been on six cruises and I am not one of those "seasoned" cruisers. With that said, I go on the ship with the minimal of expectations. I do this on every trip I take even if it is just a weekend away with my wife. If I go with high expectations, I leave myself open to dissapointment. If I go with the low expectations, then I am allowing for possible surprises that will please me. It has not failed me yet, including my very first cruise when I had no idea what to expect.

It seems that both of the last two sailings have had a rough time on the way back to NJ. Anyone have any idea if this is simply weather related (or typical for this time of year), or if it is due to the prop problem? I am so disappointed. We have 20 friends and family sailing and we paid for 16 of them. None of them have cruised before and we have been talking up how great it is since we booked 2 years ago. We told them about the lobster (now no longer offered), the ports (now seemingly cut short with cancelled excursions), and have comforted some nervous folks about how you don't even know the ship is moving and to not be afraid of rough seas (now, apparently the past 2 sailings have had a rough time, enough to make the pools unusable and folks sick). Please don't respond with the "Well I'll have fun no matter what" line. I get it. I'm sure we'll all have fun too. But we were trying to win everyone over to the world of cruising, but with all of these changes it seems as though it will be more of a disappointment. This is not the type of experience we wanted for everyone:(:(:(

You may get upset by this but it is not meant that way. Calm down. You paid for 16 people to go on a cruise and all of them will be happy with it. Unless they have been living on Park Ave, dining in 5 star restaurants, and getting daily massages, they will think that this is the vacation of a lifetime. AND ITS FREE thanks to you. I need friends like you! Please?

If i am not mistaken you are getting married on this cruise and have been concerned since the prop broke, and rightly so. That being said, you can only fix so much and there is nothing you can do about this except become a cruisecritic addict (that is me since the prop broke). They are going to have the time of their life, you are going 2 b beautiful (or handsome), and you will have won over just about everyone who you are taking.

I think the rough seas are b/c of all the wind we have been having on the east coast. And why not suggest booking excursions for the ports that are not first and last to be assured they get to them. And if you are paying for those too, I am going to find you at the port when I get off the cruise before you and sneak back on.

Well, you know my thoughts, so I won't repeat them. But I will add that I just know you're going through the jitters. You have a big trip planned with a bunch of people and you want everything perfect... because you're getting married. And from that standpoint it is certainly understandable that you're rattled over all of this.

I've heard of others having similar jitters when traveling to get married... worries over flights, weather, hotel arrangements, etc. all lead to similar stress.

I don't know if there is anything really that even RCCL could do or say to calm your fears. I heard some people have started to get emails stating that Explorer has a propeller issue and they expect to miss no ports (I haven't received it yet). I don't know if they say they expect some time changes at the ports or not. If I get the email I'll post it here.

In the meantime, try your best to just relax and know that your trip will be a memorable one!! I know its not easy. But you can do it! And when its over, I really do look forward to you letting us know what a great time you had!!

Hi! I don't know if others have responded, but I can put your mind at ease on at least one thing. There is a Fisherman's platter on one evening that includes shrimp and a lobster tail and you can ask for an extra lobster tail. Our last cruise was ony 4 days, so we didn't have it, but I have heard good things about it. I did have the Tiger shrimp and it was amazing and I don't normally like really large shrimp since they are sometimes tough.

If you have been over on the All Things Explorer thread, you will see that the seas can be bad going into or out of Jersey. Everyone recommends taking something if you think it may be problem. They suggest taking Bonine the night before you board and then continue once on board. We had really rough winds and seas on our first cruise (Disney out of FL in March) and were all not feeling too good, but luckily we had brought stuff with us and even though they say it is too late once you start feeling sick, with a couple of hours we were all doing quite a bit better.

After our first cruise we weren't sure cruising was for us (the rough seas were part of it), but we decided to do an Alaska cruise and we have been hooked since.

I have been very frustrated with the lack of communication and follow through from RCCL this time as well and have decided I will still sail them for last minute specials, but I will not plan a special cruise a long time out with them again. The prop being broken can't be helped. The lack of communication can be. Even if the answer is, we haven't collected enough data yet, I'm sorry. That is better than lying and saying everything is fixed and fine when the ship is traveling slower than it typically does.

If you can, you should try and relax and hope for the best. But that is much easier for me to say than it would be for me to do if I was in your shoes. :rolleyes: Many people love time at sea, so maybe your family and friends will enjoy the extra at sea time.

Good luck and congratulations. Let us know all about it when you get back.

Originally Posted by esbie11

It seems that both of the last two sailings have had a rough time on the way back to NJ. Anyone have any idea if this is simply weather related (or typical for this time of year), or if it is due to the prop problem?

The roughness is not prop related. It is the weather. When you have high seas and strong winds, you will generally have a rougher ride especially when sailing into the wind.

The winds lately have been relatively strong. The seas have been about what you might expect. To a certain extent, the spacing bewteen the waves also makes a difference in how the ride is.

So my point is that you never know how the ride will be. One thing we know for sure is that even in the tamest seas, somebody always gets seasick. So be prepared but don't fret over it.

Does anyone have the menus from the 12 day?? How about Portifino's? How dressy

do you have to be to eat at Portifinos?

yes i posted them elsewhere on this board...if you do a search for 12 night explorer menus it should come up...

(and,next time you have a question that isn't really related to the topic of the post, you may wish to start a new thread....it wil; be easier for people to see it and help you!!:D)

Originally Posted by esbie11

It seems that both of the last two sailings have had a rough time on the way back to NJ. Anyone have any idea if this is simply weather related (or typical for this time of year), or if it is due to the prop problem?

The roughness is not prop related. It is the weather. When you have high seas and strong winds, you will generally have a rougher ride especially when sailing into the wind.

The winds lately have been relatively strong. The seas have been about what you might expect. To a certain extent, the spacing bewteen the waves also makes a difference in how the ride is.

So my point is that you never know how the ride will be. One thing we know for sure is that even in the tamest seas, somebody always gets seasick. So be prepared but don't fret over it.

Thanks. We have sailed out of Baltimore before and had no problems, so I wasn't sure whether to anticipate anything different or not. We are sailing in April, so hopefully it'll be more calm then. Regardless, I am nto at all worried about seasickness for myself, but there are some in our group who are already convinced they will be seasick:rolleyes: We told them to get some Bonine, etc, but I can pretty much guarantee they will be sea sick because they already believe they will be! I just wasn't sure of this was weather related (which we know is constantly changing) or another prop issue:)

Thanks. We have sailed out of Baltimore before and had no problems, so I wasn't sure whether to anticipate anything different or not. We are sailing in April, so hopefully it'll be more calm then. Regardless, I am nto at all worried about seasickness for myself, but there are some in our group who are already convinced they will be seasick:rolleyes: We told them to get some Bonine, etc, but I can pretty much guarantee they will be sea sick because they already believe they will be! I just wasn't sure of this was weather related (which we know is constantly changing) or another prop issue:)

the seas should start being a little better at that point...it's the ocean, not the prop! and yes, they will close decks and/or close/empty the pools if needed

as someone else said...a lobster TAIL is part of the fishermans platter....i posted the menus...search 12 night explorer menus and you should find them...

the people who are taking bonine should start the night before....and a good hint is to keep a little something in the stomach...

have fun!

For our second cruise, we bought DD the sea bands. She loved them. Just like your friends, she gets motion sick easily and was convinced she would have problems on the ship (which she still probably would have with the seas we had - but...)

She was equally convinced that the sea bands would help. I think that is part of the reason they did help. She even wore them on the land portion of our trip to keep from getting car sick in the RV. They really did seem to help.

It seems that both of the last two sailings have had a rough time on the way back to NJ. Anyone have any idea if this is simply weather related (or typical for this time of year), or if it is due to the prop problem? I am so disappointed. We have 20 friends and family sailing and we paid for 16 of them. None of them have cruised before and we have been talking up how great it is since we booked 2 years ago. We told them about the lobster (now no longer offered), the ports (now seemingly cut short with cancelled excursions), and have comforted some nervous folks about how you don't even know the ship is moving and to not be afraid of rough seas (now, apparently the past 2 sailings have had a rough time, enough to make the pools unusable and folks sick). Please don't respond with the "Well I'll have fun no matter what" line. I get it. I'm sure we'll all have fun too. But we were trying to win everyone over to the world of cruising, but with all of these changes it seems as though it will be more of a disappointment. This is not the type of experience we wanted for everyone

Another person chiming in to let you know that it is the seas and NOT the prop! ;) We did the 12 night starting on 11/30/08 and had wind gusts of 50-60mph and 25ft swells. This was our first cruise (me, hubby and 4 kids ages 9 and under! ;) ) Quite the experiance for our first cruise! We used seabands, and I took ginger. I also brought bonine with in case I got too bad, but hate to take meds as I get loopy. :D

We actually faired pretty good. None of us puked, the kids and myself were a bit dizzy for the first 2 days but realized if we were in view of a window, we felt fine. Dizzys was a great place to hang out during the day (our kids could be in there, we sat and played card games and felt fine!)

Oh, and we had lobster tails the night of the fishermans platter (like the others stated). I was even given a 2nd!!

So hang in there! I'm sure things will go well for you! :)

Leaving on Sunday , so far no worries on arrivals or departures since this itinerary was changed in Oct . :mad:

Prop damage has, so far , no effect on current 12 night cruise starting with San Juan arrival time 3pm . 71 hrs sailing time(approx)

With the unfortunate drop of Tortola there is 87 hrs return .:rolleyes:

No matter what ,it will be great:D

Sweetie don't worry. Last May when we sailed her we had a rough day, but that was over Mothers Day weekend, when we had a nasty NorEaster coming by. I've sailed twice out of NY/NJ. Both times where a little rocky. I'm not one to get sick, but I can say I did get a little queezy. Just take Bonine with you, also the stuff they have at the pursers desk is really good.

You will have a beautiful wedding! If anything it looks like they're chopping time off the front and back ports. So for you, you may end up with extra time in St Thomas! I'm as nervous as you are since we're only a few weeks after you sailing for our wedding, but I'm really trying to stay out of this thread, just checking it occasionally. It is keeping my nerves jittery a bit, but I'm trying to ignore the fact that some people blow things totally out of proportion.

Explorer is a beautiful ship, your guests will love it. Just make sure you keep her in good shape for my wedding!!

Why don't you guys get yourself the "patch" if you are prone to seasickness? You hav to get if from your Dr-but each patch is good for 72 hours-it goes behind your ear-barely unnoticeable.....Since I am seeing on here that things may be a tad rough in the north atlantic"-I am sure to have my supply with/on me!!! I have never had any side effects-some people say a dry mouth is about it. I tried all the other remedies-Ginger Altoids,ginger gum,candied ginger, & bonine...If I know its going to be rough seas ahead of time-I certainly go right for the patch (which they say to put on 4 hrs before going on board). Nobody wants to feel sick, let alone be sick!! Susie

I was on the cruise when the prop broke. Yes the seas were alittle rough and it was windy, it's just that time of year. I was on the HA out of NY 2 yrs ago same time of year without a broken prop and the seas were alot worse. Don't worry just go and have a great time. Yes we had lobster.

Why don't you guys get yourself the "patch" if you are prone to seasickness? You hav to get if from your Dr-but each patch is good for 72 hours-it goes behind your ear-barely unnoticeable.....Since I am seeing on here that things may be a tad rough in the north atlantic"-I am sure to have my supply with/on me!!! I have never had any side effects-some people say a dry mouth is about it. I tried all the other remedies-Ginger Altoids,ginger gum,candied ginger, & bonine...If I know its going to be rough seas ahead of time-I certainly go right for the patch (which they say to put on 4 hrs before going on board). Nobody wants to feel sick, let alone be sick!! Susie

I used to use the patch because I USED to get sea sick real bad. But from cruising I found my sea legs... now I use NOTHING!!! I am shocked I can go out now and be on a real rocky ride and never feel it.

But I will say that the patch was great. My first cruise I was so worried about being seasick and it worked perfectly. And we had some hurricane related swells and I didn't even notice. Other than banging into the hallway walls that is!! :D

Update from the Explorer one day out of NJ on our way back - we were just informed that the ship will be arriving at least an hour and a half late into NJ - reported reason is rough seas - and it has been rough but no rougher than I have been on before. The ship simply cannot slow down in the rougher seas and make it up on the calmer ones as it usually does - I was on the Navigator on the tail end of Hurricane Charley in the Gulf of Mexico and we did an end run around it at 23 knots and it was fine.

RCCL is simply not being honest - the crew all talks about the faulty propeller but no offical word from the desk - they just look at you and smile when you ask if it is due to the Propeller and say it is due to the weather. Captain did NOT make his usual 9 am announcement this morning. We were told that walk of disembarking - usually scheduled for 8 am - has been moved back to 10 am!!

One good thing though - we did have lobster tails last night - and they were fantastic!! Very tender and tasted very fresh, even though we were told they loaded them on a week ago!! So the no lobster tail thing was, at least for this cruise, not true!!

On another note - it has been rough - a lot of veteran cruisers getting sea sick. I have had more ship motion on this trip than in 6 pervious trips on Voyager class vessels. And the seas do NOT look that rough. Who knows.

If RCCL is listening - I URGE you to come clean and tell people that future trips WILL be affected to that people can plan properly!!

Lou

Update from the Explorer one day out of NJ on our way back - we were just informed that the ship will be arriving at least an hour and a half late into NJ - reported reason is rough seas - and it has been rough but no rougher than I have been on before. The ship simply cannot slow down in the rougher seas and make it up on the calmer ones as it usually does - I was on the Navigator on the tail end of Hurricane Charley in the Gulf of Mexico and we did an end run around it at 23 knots and it was fine.

RCCL is simply not being honest - the crew all talks about the faulty propeller but no offical word from the desk - they just look at you and smile when you ask if it is due to the Propeller and say it is due to the weather. Captain did NOT make his usual 9 am announcement this morning. We were told that walk of disembarking - usually scheduled for 8 am - has been moved back to 10 am!!

One good thing though - we did have lobster tails last night - and they were fantastic!! Very tender and tasted very fresh, even though we were told they loaded them on a week ago!! So the no lobster tail thing was, at least for this cruise, not true!!

On another note - it has been rough - a lot of veteran cruisers getting sea sick. I have had more ship motion on this trip than in 6 pervious trips on Voyager class vessels. And the seas do NOT look that rough. Who knows.

If RCCL is listening - I URGE you to come clean and tell people that future trips WILL be affected to that people can plan properly!!

Lou

Once again, thank you Lou for your truthfulness, and YES RCCL should come clean on this situation. We leave at the end of March, and are hoping things "smooth" out on the seas and onboard! Bob

Lou

You have a very large Mid-Atlantic storm (s) that are churnning south and east of Nova Scotia. This system is a 958mb Low pressure system with Cat 1 Hurricane force winds.

High Waves are probagating a long distance and were being observed on the North Shore of Puerto Rico.

FZNT01 KWBC 210958

HSFAT1

HIGH SEAS FORECAST FOR METAREA IV

NWS OCEAN PREDICTION CENTER WASHINGTON DC

1030 UTC SAT FEB 21 2009

CCODE/1:31:04:01:00/AOW/NWS/CCODE

SUPERSEDED BY NEXT ISSUANCE IN 6 HOURS

SEAS GIVEN AS SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT...WHICH IS THE AVERAGE

HEIGHT OF THE HIGHEST 1/3 OF THE WAVES. INDIVIDUAL WAVES MAY

BE MORE THAN TWICE THE SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT

SECURITE

NORTH ATLANTIC NORTH OF 31N TO 67N AND WEST OF 35W

SYNOPSIS VALID 0600 UTC FEB 21.

24 HOUR FORECAST VALID 0600 UTC FEB 22.

48 HOUR FORECAST VALID 0600 UTC FEB 23.

.WARNINGS.

STORM WARNING

.36 HOUR FORECAST LOW 41N73W 1008 MB. FROM 31N TO 43N W OF 65W

WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS TO 12 FT.

.48 HOUR FORECAST LOW 44N69W 991 MB. WITHIN 540 NM S AND SE

QUADRANTS WINDS 35 TO 50 KT. SEAS 10 TO 18 FT. ELSEWHERE FROM

31N TO 47N BETWEEN 55W AND 76W WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 8 TO 13

FT.

GALE WARNING

.LOW 52N57W 993 MB MOVING NE 15 KT. FRONT EXTENDS FROM LOW TO

50N45W TO 41N52W TO 32N61W. WITHIN 240 NM E OF FRONT FROM 33N TO

47N WINDS 25 TO 40 KT. SEAS 14 TO 26 FT. ELSEWHERE WITHIN 420 NM

NE QUADRANT AND 420 NM E OF FRONT WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 9 TO

16 FT.

.24 HOUR FORECAST LOW 58N52W 996 MB. OVER ICE FREE WATERS N OF

48N W OF 45W AND FROM 37N TO 48N BETWEEN 51W AND 62W WINDS 25 TO

35 KT. SEAS 9 TO 18 FT.

.48 HOUR FORECAST LOW 58N49W 1007 MB. WITHIN 480 NM SW

SEMICIRCLE AND 300 NM NE QUADRANT WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 9 TO

15 FT.

GALE WARNING

.LOW 49N64W 987 MB MOVING NE 10 KT. OVER WATERS WITHIN 960 NM S

AND 840 NM SW QUADRANTS WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 12 TO 23 FT.

.24 HOUR FORECAST LOW AND CONDITIONS ABSORBED BY LOW 58N52W.

GALE WARNING

.LOW E OF AREA 64N27W 985 MB MOVING NE 30 KT. OVER WATERS WITHIN

300 NM NW AND 420 NM SW QUADRANTS...AND FROM 59N TO 63N BETWEEN

43W AND 52W WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 9 TO 17 FT.

.24 HOUR FORECAST LOW AND ASSOCIATED CONDITIONS E OF AREA.

GALE WARNING

.24 HOUR FORECAST LOW 60N38W 1006 MB. FRONT TO EXTEND FROM

55N35W TO 50N39W TO 39N45W. WITHIN 180 NM OF LOW AND 300 NM E OF

FRONT WINDS 25 TO 40 KT. SEAS 9 TO 18 FT.

.48 HOUR FORECAST LOW E OF AREA 61N31W 1001 MB. WITHIN 300 NM W

AND NW QUADRANTS WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 8 TO 13 FT.

GALE WARNING

.48 HOUR FORECAST LOW E OF AREA 42N31W 1013 MB. FROM 36N TO 48N

E OF 41W WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. SEAS 9 TO 14 FT.

HEAVY FREEZING SPRAY WARNING

.N OF A LINE FROM 60N47W TO 62N58W MODERATE TO HEAVY FREEZING

SPRAY.

.24 HOUR FORECAST NW OF A LINE FROM 64N52W TO 60N59W MODERATE TO

HEAVY FREEZING SPRAY.

.48 HOUR FORECAST W OF A LINE FROM 66N53W TO 58N58W LIGHT TO

MODERATE FREEZING SPRAY.

.SYNOPSIS AND FORECAST.

.FROM 43N TO 49N BETWEEN 43W AND 50W AREAS OF DENSE FOG

OCCASIONALLY REDUCING VSBY BELOW 1 NM.

.24 HOUR FORECAST FROM 50N TO 55N E OF 38W AREAS OF DENSE FOG

OCCASIONALLY REDUCING VSBY BELOW 1 NM.

.48 HOUR FORECAST CONDITIONS IMPROVED.

.HIGH 39N37W 1032 MB MOVING NE 10 KT.

.24 HOUR FORECAST HIGH DISSIPATED.

.24 HOUR FORECAST HIGH 35N60W 1031 MB.

.48 HOUR FORECAST HIGH 42N48W 1032 MB.

.FORECASTER BANKS. OCEAN PREDICTION CENTER.

TROPICAL PREDICTION CENTER MIAMI FL

ATLANTIC BETWEEN 07N TO 31N W OF 35W INCLUDING CARIBBEAN SEA

AND GULF OF MEXICO

SYNOPSIS VALID 0600 UTC SAT FEB 21.

24 HOUR FORECAST VALID 0600 UTC SUN FEB 22.

48 HOUR FORECAST VALID 0600 UTC MON FEB 23.

Lou

It appears they can make it on or close to on time if seas aren't rough, and they will be behind schedule if they are rough. So, how do you plan in advance (more than a day or so) if you don't know if the how the seas will be? Should everyone just cancel excursions and then be upset when the ship makes it on time and they could have gone with their original plan?

Anyway, sounds like you had a good time and looking forward to being on the ship in 3 weeks!

I was on the 1/23 sailing and I can tell you it was not the propeller that made the sailing rough. I was sick on the first morning going down and I have been on around 6 cruises including once on the Galaxy out of Baltimore during Nov and I have never been sick before. I think it was actually the Atlantic in the winter! I took bonine after I became sick and then every day after that and I was fine the rest of the time. Actually I think the ride was very smooth coming home because we were travelling at reduced speed.

Did you find that Bonine didn't work for you, or just that the patch is easier. The co-pay for the patch now is $45/person plus the $20 co-pay to get the perscription from the Dr. We can buy a lot of bonine for that money.

We used the patch on our first cruise and it worked. We didn't need anything on the next two, so we had wasted the money on the patches since we don't cruise very often and then have long since expired. I was hoping to switch to bonine this time, but if it doesn't work as well, I may fork out the big money for the patches.

Archived