Confused

flamomo

My adult DD will be accompanying me on a Princess r/t Seattle - Alaska cruise this Fall. She does not have a passport.

I have read the info on the State Dept. website, and in one place it says they will be needed starting June 1, 2009 and in another it says birth certificate and photo ID will be sufficient for cruises involving Canada (we stop in Victoria, BC).

So now I don't know what to tell her. If it were me, I'd say to get one (I already have one), but her DH keeps telling her she does not need one yet, and does not want to spend the $$ for one till it's an absolute must.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

For a roundtrip Alaska cruise out of Seattle, all that is required is a certified copy of her birth certificate and a government issued photo ID. Yes, a passport is the best option but it is not required.

On June 1, 2009 all cruise passengers will be required to possess a passport unless on a closed loop cruise (see below). Prior to that date if you are only traveling to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda you only need documentation as indicated in the closed loop rules below. Travel to all other countries requires a passport.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise.

Tell your DD and her DH that a passport is good for 10 years, so while the cost seems high, it doesn't cost that much when you spread it out over 10 years. :)

It is always good to have a second form of government ID and once you have your passport you can travel on short notice!

The reason MANY people are confused is they keep referring to the State Dept. website instead of the DHS website. State only issues the passports, DHS determines where and when they must be used. The State Dept website noted above says it is a summary of information contained on the DHS website and to refer to the DHS for the complete rules.

For the OP's daughter, she does not need a passport for a RT cruise out of Seattle going to Alaska with a stop in Victoria. However, if she stops in Skagway and wants to cross the land border between the US and Canada, THEN she will need a passport or passcard.

Archived