The upgrade fairy came!

AAL

I am so excited -- I checked our reservation for our 1/2/05 Vision cruise and we have been upgraded from a D1 to a JS! There are four of us, including two teen girls, and the D1 was going to be a tight fit (but I really wanted a balcony, didn't want the girls in a totally separate room, and adjoining balconies were too pricey). I was hoping that we might upgrade at the pier, and now we don't have to worry about that.

Either we just got lucky, or were rewarded for being C & A members (with one previous cruise!), or for making our reservation a year in advance. Whatever the reason, I am thankful!

What I didn't mention in my original post was that my week started with an e-mail from the airline -- they have cancelled our 8:30 a.m. pre-cruise flight to LAX and had replaced it with a 2:00 a.m. departure instead! Got that one fixed in a hurry! They also changed our return to a 6:00 p.m. departure, so we arrive home at 1:00 a.m., but what the heck -- we'll be coming home from a wonderful vacation (and we have family in the LA area to spend the afternoon with).

We booked our cruise more than a year in advance and prices have increased steadily since then -- booking a D1 now costs about 50% more than we paid. When we booked, our Jan. 2 cruise was priced like an off-season cruise, and rates may have climbed in part because it is close enough to the holidays to work with other holiday travel and Christmas vacation schedules. (My kids' school vacation ends on Jan. 10.) Advance planning paid off!

We used frequent flier miles for our air travel, which also seems to require booking a year in advance!

Just think how much fun we can have with all the money I saved! (Isn't that how it works?)

We just received pretty substantial upgrades on the Jewel of the Seas - from deck 2 to deck 8. I think the only reason we got them was that I had been watching the fares and when they dropped from what we paid, I called my travel agent. We had already paid the final fare, so they gave us upgrades and $40 back. It's a Christmas cruise that we had booked almost a year in advance and had paid a pretty high fare. We did it because our whole family is going and we wanted a really special experience.

Archived