A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Oh I'm so excited, she is a thing of beauty..I was trying desperately to see my "special" cabin 4166 which is supposed to have a wider balcony than most due to a crew stairwell, but the photo is just too fuzzy for great detail..Thanks DBA.

I think your bloggy thing is fantastic..so much info there..

Appreciate the kind words :)

Part of the reason you can't see that room is because you're looking st starboard side (odd numbered rooms :))

I think the HAL Blog heard us talking. Here's the pic you're looking for, and YES... it has the double verandahs on those 2 rooms

DSC02581-e1274815657557.jpg

This is a Fantastic shot...Thank you Thank you....I can see my exact cabin and it does have the extra wide balcony...I have also read on this boards that those cabins are above the bakery, so in the morning you are awakened by the smell of fresh baked bread..now what could be sweeter than that...

Thanks Hal/DBA...Exactly what I wanted to see...

Which cabins have the larger balcony 4166 and which other one?

We are booked in 4164 for October.

Thanks for all the great pictures you have been posting since the beginning of construction, enjoyed watching the ship "grow"

Lorraine

4168 and 4166 on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

Hello DBA ...

I keep checking HAL's website for photos of the 2010 tiles, and the most recent shown are for 2000. (ooops ... meant 2009)

Is there a completely new series for 2010? Or is HAL simply trying to exhaust the inventory created for the past couple of years? I suspect there are new tiles ... just not much info on them.

Thanx.:D

Hello DBA ...

I keep checking HAL's website for photos of the 2010 tiles, and the most recent shown are for 2000.

Is there a completely new series for 2010? Or is HAL simply trying to exhaust the inventory created for the past couple of years? I suspect there are new tiles ... just not much info on them.

Thanx.:D

There are new ones for 2010, and a few have been posted here. I'll try to find them for you. Funny, but it wasn't 10 minutes ago that I was wondering if the HAL site was showing the new ones yet, and went to check! :)

Edit: see post #1 and #51 for two of them. DBA has said he has "seen all five of them".

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1176386

There are new ones for 2010, and a few have been posted here. I'll try to find them for you. Funny, but it wasn't 10 minutes ago that I was wondering if the HAL site was showing the new ones yet, and went to check! :)

Thanx ... I recall a pix or two posted on this board, and was disappointed that HAL had not updated the website to show the entire 2010 series.

Edit: see post #1 and #51 for two of them. DBA has said he has "seen all five of them".

As promised:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/06/2010-mariner-tiles.html

There's more tiles in that picture than those for 2010, so read the description below the image for details (and yes, the photo is a thumbnail and becomes much larger)

DBA, Since I have not cruised very much only one under my belt, and never on HAL, what are these tiles, for? Who gets them? Are they actual ceramic tiles? Do all cruise lines have these.. Any info you could give me would be apprecated..

DBA, Since I have not cruised very much only one under my belt, and never on HAL, what are these tiles, for? Who gets them? Are they actual ceramic tiles? Do all cruise lines have these.. Any info you could give me would be apprecated..

:) Yes, we are also scheduled for our first on HAL this coming January -- so I would like this info, as well. Thanks.
They are collectible ceramic tiles that are given to all HAL Mariners - that is, everyone on their second and later HAL cruises. You can see past years' tiles by clicking on the word Tiles on the left side here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action

The back of the tiles -- 4 by 4 inches -- have cork on them.

Many people use them as coasters.

One person showed us a picture here of the beautiful serving tray he made using them.

Another person is having them installed in their kitchen as a back splash behind the sink.

I am sure others have great ideas of what they are doing with them.

Originally we were going to cover our bar in the game room with them. But we completely redid our game room a few years ago and took out the bar.

Oh I see, they are nice..I'll have to go to Alaska next to get my first...I was reading the NA blog, and I see they may have a four legged stowaway. At least that is what the foot prints while at sea have suggested.. That would be quite the surprise to be in your cabin and out pops this little cat!..Can you imagine if crew started to feed him the size he could become:D

Oh I see, they are nice..I'll have to go to Alaska next to get my first...I was reading the NA blog, and I see they may have a four legged stowaway. At least that is what the foot prints while at sea have suggested.. That would be quite the surprise to be in your cabin and out pops this little cat!..Can you imagine if crew started to feed him the size he could become:D

They've named him Herbie.

totally kidding :D :D

Hi Dutch,

With the Rotterdam finishing dry dock, will she still have the Queen's Room and King's Room next to the dining room? Have they changed? I ask because on our last time aboard her, the deluxe verandah's got to eat breakfast and lunch there. it was wonderful. Just wondering if that trend will continue or if it is up to the captain?

Thanks so much for your help :)as always. Jacqui

Archived