A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hi Dutch,

With the Rotterdam finishing dry dock, will she still have the Queen's Room and King's Room next to the dining room? Have they changed? I ask because on our last time aboard her, the deluxe verandah's got to eat breakfast and lunch there. it was wonderful. Just wondering if that trend will continue or if it is up to the captain?

Thanks so much for your help :)as always. Jacqui

King's Room (starboard side) has always done the suite breakfasts. This is still there. The Queen's Room on S and R Class have been turned into the Digital Workshop.

DBA...I noticed a while back that you posted some information on different ships, at least I think it was you? I am planning to retrace some of my family's history, on a Canada/New Englad cruise...My Grandparents emigrated to Canada, in Quebec, on the 30th of April 1925, on the S. S. Aurania...do you have any information on that ship? They brought with them my father who was 16 at the time. It was on that ship that he met my mother..they were married 4 years later..

Is it any wonder I find the whole idea of cruising romantic!

From any research I have done there were several ships 4 I think but I can't seem to located the exact one for that year..

Thanking you in adance..

DBA...I noticed a while back that you posted some information on different ships, at least I think it was you? I am planning to retrace some of my family's history, on a Canada/New Englad cruise...My Grandparents emigrated to Canada, in Quebec, on the 30th of April 1925, on the S. S. Aurania...do you have any information on that ship? They brought with them my father who was 16 at the time. It was on that ship that he met my mother..they were married 4 years later..

Is it any wonder I find the whole idea of cruising romantic!

From any research I have done there were several ships 4 I think but I can't seem to located the exact one for that year..

Thanking you in adance..

Chances are that was my thread;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102655&page=86&highlight=

Looks like the RMS Aurania you're looking for was the third ship by that name. She operated for Cunard after being laid down in 1924 at the Wallsend-on-Tyne yard in Northern England

With the 2nd Worl War looming, she was requisitioned by the British Admiralty on 30 August 1939 and converted to serve as an armed merchant cruiser. In October 1941 she was hit by the torpedoes of a German submarine, towed to England, repaired and converted to a Navy Heavy Repair ship.

AMC_Aurania.jpg

She was scrapped in 1961 at La Spezia, Italy

Chances are that was my thread;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102655&page=86&highlight=

Looks like the RMS Aurania you're looking for was the third ship by that name. She operated for Cunard after being laid down in 1924 at the Wallsend-on-Tyne yard in Northern England

With the 2nd Worl War looming, she was requisitioned by the British Admiralty on 30 August 1939 and converted to serve as an armed merchant cruiser. In October 1941 she was hit by the torpedoes of a German submarine, towed to England, repaired and converted to a Navy Heavy Repair ship.

AMC_Aurania.jpg

She was scrapped in 1961 at La Spezia, Italy

Thank you Copper, yes now that I think about it, it was you.. what does that term you've used mean "she was laid down" ? I can't imagine that would have been very comfortable to cross the Atlantic for such a long journey. I wonder how long those trips would have taken? What their cabin situation woud have looked like..My Grandparents came over with 3 children, a brother, a sister..so I imagine the cost would have been a pretty penny...can you recomend a book that might explain what it would have been lke to travel in those days..

Thank you..:)

Thank you Copper, yes now that I think about it, it was you.. what does that term you've used mean "she was laid down" ? I can't imagine that would have been very comfortable to cross the Atlantic for such a long journey. I wonder how long those trips would have taken? What their cabin situation woud have looked like..My Grandparents came over with 3 children, a brother, a sister..so I imagine the cost would have been a pretty penny...can you recomend a book that might explain what it would have been lke to travel in those days..

Thank you..:)

01aura3-cun.jpg

"She was laid down" means her keel was laid down in the ship yard; the building process of the ship is underway.

In the 20ties and depending on the speed of the ship, that crossing, from Liverpool, took at least seven days

The ocean liners in those days usually had First, Second, Third class as well as Steerage accomodation. A very luxurious first-class cabin went for $250 per person.

As far as books, Stephen Card has a nice one out called "Cunarders" There are a couple of other pretty good ones out about the history of the Cunard Line called "Cunard, a photographic history" and "Transatlantic: Samuel Cunard, Isambard Brunel, and the Great Atlantic Steamships"

?iid=y940um&outx=774&quality=70

I'm booked on the Oosterdam to Alaska in 06/2010. Can someone tell me their experience with trying to land a table for two under the open seating option? (What I'm getting at is are there many small tables for two in the lower level of the MDR or are there more bigger tables for larger groups?) Thanks.

I'm booked on the Oosterdam to Alaska in 06/2010. Can someone tell me their experience with trying to land a table for two under the open seating option?
You can see the MDR layout and count the tables for two here:

http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/lowerlevelvista.jpg (click on it to enlarge)

We haven't been to AK with Open seating, but what we have experienced is that it is not hard to get a 2-top if you go at an off-peak time, or call to reserve one early in the morining. At an un-busy time once we were seated at a 4-top and the extra place two settings were picked up.

01aura3-cun.jpg

"She was laid down" means her keel was laid down in the ship yard; the building process of the ship is underway.

In the 20ties and depending on the speed of the ship, that crossing, from Liverpool, took at least seven days

The ocean liners in those days usually had First, Second, Third class as well as Steerage accomodation. A very luxurious first-class cabin went for $250 per person.

As far as books, Stephen Card has a nice one out called "Cunarders" There are a couple of other pretty good ones out about the history of the Cunard Line called "Cunard, a photographic history" and "Transatlantic: Samuel Cunard, Isambard Brunel, and the Great Atlantic Steamships"

?iid=y940um&outx=774&quality=70

Thank you so much John I'll order the book Cunard a Photographic History. This second photo show so much detail, it really does show what an exciting and difficult, journey that must of been for the many people who emigrated to Canada and the United States....I appreciate your efforts on my behalf..

Thanks again,

Suzanne

Thank you so much John I'll order the book Cunard a Photographic History. This second photo show so much detail, it really does show what an exciting and difficult, journey that must of been for the many people who emigrated to Canada and the United States....I appreciate your efforts on my behalf..

Thanks again,

Suzanne

You're welcome Suzanne:)

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread Dutch!:cool:

Hello, I'm very new to HAL and it's thread so I've just posted this on a new thread, then saw you....and think this is where I should be posting this question.

Do hope you can answer this for me.:)

I was very keen to book with HAL for the first time, cruising on Volendam whilst she is in Australia and New Zealand.

I could not believe what I was told regarding deposits for this cruise which was 28 nights. The costing was A$4137.00 per person 'ships guarantee'.

We were also advised that should we attempt to book directly on the HAL site we would be 'bumped' off before completing the booking because we are encouraged to book through their handling agent in Australia.

Here is the information:

The deposit will be $2398.00 per person within 7 days of a booking. Their deposit is based on a percentage basis of the cruise price.

Balance of payment would be due 90 days prior to departure

Cancellation fees:

90 - 64 days before departure - loss of deposit

63 - 43 days before departure - loss of 50%

42 - 22 days before departure - loss of 75%

21 - sailing - loss of 100%

Can someone confirm is this normal for HAL bookings?

Jillybean:confused:

Hi can anyone please tell me if the 2 connecting SA cabins on new Amsterdam are the same furniture reconfiguration that other non connecting SA :confused:, I am thing of booking 2 connecting SA can anyone show a picture of the connecting cabin where is exactly the connecting door located and what is the furniture like around connecting door does it affect the cabin itself, should I just consider non connecting room?, hoping to hear answers from many of you that know already , thank you for your help in advance is there any pro or con I should consider before booking a connecting cabin?:confused:

Hi can anyone please tell me if the 2 connecting SA cabins on new Amsterdam are the same furniture reconfiguration that other non connecting SA :confused:, I am thing of booking 2 connecting SA can anyone show a picture of the connecting cabin where is exactly the connecting door located and what is the furniture like around connecting door does it affect the cabin itself, should I just consider non connecting room?, hoping to hear answers from many of you that know already , thank you for your help in advance is there any pro or con I should consider before booking a connecting cabin?:confused:

with connecting rooms you always have to consider that the door has to go SOMEWHERE but if ANY sort of concession has to be made (not likely) it would be very minor

Hi DBA, there is thread about breakfast in the pinnacle grill for suites. Question is why is the pinnacle grill unavailable to the suite guests for breakfast on the first two/three days of the cruise? Some say it is code red, but the pinnacle is open for dinner?

It was suggested that we ask you. Or perhaps you can take the concern to HAL. HAL states that eating in the pinnacle for breakfast is one of the perks for being a suite guest. And it is a very nice perk. Is there a way that they can change this back to the full cruise/ let passengers know in advance if this trend is going to continue? The thread is below, for your reference.

Hope you can enlighten us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1216152

Thanks so much as always for your tremendous help. Jacqui

I noticed on our cruise last week that most of the people doing the 'handing out' of water etc had Pinnacle Grill uniforms on. Maybe with the way they have to serve everything they need the extra staff to help out and decided to borrow them from the Pinnacle, not leaving enough people to allow opening for breakfast? Just a theory. I am sure DBA will be able to confirm this.

with connecting rooms you always have to consider that the door has to go SOMEWHERE but if ANY sort of concession has to be made (not likely) it would be very minor

we will be booking 2 connecting SA cabins on Niuew Amesterdam for a family of 6 so we can go back and front in and out to get clothes adn share snaks and so on just trying to figure out how the connecting door location is palced is it in the back of the sofa/couch ? where is it located ?

As you enter the cabin there are 3 closets, then a built in table/desk with shelves and then sofa. The connecting door is where this built in table/desk is.

You can see the door in this picture:

1093.gif

Archived