Tipping--Just Off Connie and How We Fought It & Feel This is Right

moondoggie

But how much do you tip the person who delivers your luggage, or the stateroom attendent's assistant who vacs your cabin? My guess is absolutely nothing.

Actually the assistant stateroom attendants are the people who deliver the luggage. They also share in the stateroom attendants tips - they've confirmed this to me in the past and the tip envelopes left for us usually have both of their names stamped or written on the front.

On a couple cruises the assistant has been great and very attentive to our needs - in those cases we've given them a separate tip and let them know this was in addition to whatever they shared in the other attendant's tip.

This thread is never going to end, is it......:o

Hi Veronica :)

This is the thread that never ends

It just goes on and on, my friends

Some people started posting on it, not knowing what it was

And now they'll keep on doing it forever, just because

My apologies to everyone who sang the real version of this song at camp many years ago :)

I am one that likes the auto-tip but also agrees with tipping extra in cash to those who go over and above what I consider to be adequate service.

I saw one post that said they had to go to guest relations to pick up envelopes. Do they not provide any envelopes in the staterooms? If you want them, do you have to request them?

Yes now you are auto tipping you do have to request them

I come prepared with little thank you cards made here locally which I have found sometimes it is the card first then the contents that attracts the biggest response

A

Yes now you are auto tipping you do have to request them

I come prepared with little thank you cards made here locally which I have found sometimes it is the card first then the contents that attracts the biggest response

A

Thank you. That was my thought too that if I had to search for envelopes it would be easier just to bring my own small pack of thank you cards. I always write notes to those who serve us on a regular basis like our stateroom attendant and dining room staff thanking them for making our cruise special.

I also have made it a point to fill out the comment cards left on the last night, mentioning those individuals there as well.

Does Celebrity provide comment cards on the last night?

Thank you. That was my thought too that if I had to search for envelopes it would be easier just to bring my own small pack of thank you cards. I always write notes to those who serve us on a regular basis like our stateroom attendant and dining room staff thanking them for making our cruise special.

I also have made it a point to fill out the comment cards left on the last night, mentioning those individuals there as well.

If you want to tip with the envelopes, bring your own, if you get them from the front desk than they are going to know who you are tipping extra, and everybody will demand a share of the pie.:eek:

If you want to tip with the envelopes, bring your own, if you get them from the front desk than they are going to know who you are tipping extra, and everybody will demand a share of the pie.:eek:

The Celebrity auto tipping is new so I don't know if this applies to Celebrity, but on the other cruise lines that have auto-tipping that I have been on like Princess, any amount you give in addition to the auto tip amounts does not have to be shared.

They already know who you are. Beware the eyes are everywhere! :eek:

I assume auto tipping went into place as there are many deadbeat cheap-o's out there who would saunter off the ship giving no tips what so ever. I have no problem with how a cruise line wants to charge for tips, auto pay is fine by me, everyone gets something and it makes my last day on board much easier. Those that want to buck the system in one way or another or want to develop their own system obviously have way too much time on their hands.

I assume auto tipping went into place as there are many deadbeat cheap-o's out there who would saunter off the ship giving no tips what so ever. I have no problem with how a cruise line wants to charge for tips, auto pay is fine by me, everyone gets something and it makes my last day on board much easier. Those that want to buck the system in one way or another or want to develop their own system obviously have way too much time on their hands.

I think the main reason for auto tipping is that the new ships have many alternative dining options. Besides alternative venues some have any time dining and one would never have the same wait staff each evening. And some people never dine in the main dining room. I think auto tipping is a reasonable solution to the changes that have been taken place in the onboard experience.

Huh Hum.

Auto tipping is a assurance that everybody gets tips.

People who stiff the staff by not tipping wel lthere are words for them, but if I used them I would be booted.:D

Thank you all for a very enlightening thread - especially the posts made by Paul and Amerie...

We are first-time "big-ship cruisers". For me, the auto-tip is a no-brainer. I will spare you a repeat of what previous posters have said that applies to my reasoning. But will add the following:

a) The Attention-to-detail cards would be the most direct and efficient means of highlighting both excellence, as well as deficiency, in service on the part of specific personnel -- and yes, that would include *any* member of the X staff aboard ship.

b) ditto for the Guest Questionnaire.

a) & b) will require that *I* make an effort - to note people's names and take the necessary time. It seems that this time spent giving an employee a glowing appreciation that is official would actually be worth more than the over-and-above $ tip (that I am planning on giving for great service).

c) I like the idea of a personal thank-you card, in which to include that extra $ tip.

As for the OP, I truly don't see the purpose of itemizing who the "extra staff" are... I expect them to be all the people who cross our path, as well as those we don't "see" that are WORKING to make our vacation a very good one.

Yes, it is my "vacation"; and I truly don't see why it would be such an imposition on me, to also go through a bit of extra effort for those who did the same for me (and yes, as part of "their job").

I will *never* begrudge anyone a living wage. In addition, I think that if I feel that an employee really does provide me with less-than-stellar service, I seem to have the means to have it noted.

I personally feel that maybe the people who want to opt-out of auto-tipping to do so for 2 reasons (and only these two reasons):

1. They are cheap and want the option to pay less than the recommended amount, or

2. They *will* tip generously, but only to those who will note and profusely thank the giver. These tippers want to make sure that their social position is maintained.

Diane

as well as deficiency, in service on the part of specific personnel -- and yes, that would include *any* member of the X staff aboard ship.

I have never had any service personnel onboard with a serious deficiency but I have heard of such occasionally. A few times very minor deficiencies. If you have any seriously deficient service personnel or issues I advise telling the hotel manager while still onboard.

Nickle-and-diming a couple of $ a day to a specific employee whom you might feel did not "deserve" their auto-tip is a poor excuse to opt-out. There *are* more than enough ways that poor service may be noted. Personally, I'm not that hard to please ;-)

It's so hard to get a simple question answered around here sometimes.

Yes, Celebrity provides and takes very seriously the comment cards. They also provide envelopes for the "tip card" you pass out. The staff would prefer those "nice notes" be noted on the comment card as well with Celebrity. If they aren't on the comment card, it doesn't count. I make a list of names during the cruise and ask for the comment card early. As exemplary service is given, I add it to the card. If you put your steward's name down and leave the card in plain site, you'll get better service! :D

Couldn't we just turn this into a poll and call it quits?

Personally, I'm glad that this thread has lasted has long as it did - I needed to read it through and make my own *informed* decision as to how I was going to handle tipping. I DID NOT realize the importance of these comment cards. Thanks to posters like you, I hope to be a more responsible cruiser vis-a-vis the service staff aboard an X ship.

I don't understand why so many posters believe that auto-tipping is going to ensure that the staff do not get stiffed. As long as passengers can opt out, those that have no intention of tipping can continue to stiff them.

I don't understand why so many posters believe that auto-tipping is going to ensure that the staff do not get stiffed. As long as passengers can opt out, those that have no intention of tipping can continue to stiff them.

Sadly, that is so. Perhaps, Celebrity could make it more difficult to "opt-out", by allowing it to be utilized only on a daily basis for that day in question: and, further for only a two hour period. Additionally, the "opt-out" feature would be serviced by only one employee for no more than a two hour period (e.g. 6:00 A.M. to 8:00 A.M.). The window would close promptly at 8:00 A.M.; and, those who had not opted out during that time would be in.

They might lose a few cruisers but they would gain many more friends; and, over a longer term probably more cruisers who would help improve the demographic. Also the aforesaid window would have a large sign which would read "Opt out Window-6:00-8:00 A.M." This would serve many purposes, not the least of which, is to allow other cruisers to determine with whom they may wish to associate.

I have never had any service personnel onboard with a serious deficiency but I have heard of such occasionally. A few times very minor deficiencies. If you have any seriously deficient service personnel or issues I advise telling the hotel manager while still onboard.

You are right Charles. All attention to detail cards go direct to the hotel director so I think to get the best outcome if you had a deficiency is to use the card rather than catch the HD on the hop perhaps as they are on the way to another meeting and cannot give your issue their full attention

That said, only had to use a card once in 12 cruises for a negative, 12 times in 12 for a positive

I really don't mind the auto tip because it's one less thing to think about. I like the idea of being able to actually place something in someones hand and I do if I felt someone went above and beyond for us. I also make sure to fill out the comment cards and give kudos to the people I felt deserved some credit for the job they did.

It's so hard to get a simple question answered around here sometimes.

Yes, Celebrity provides and takes very seriously the comment cards. They also provide envelopes for the "tip card" you pass out. The staff would prefer those "nice notes" be noted on the comment card as well with Celebrity. If they aren't on the comment card, it doesn't count. I make a list of names during the cruise and ask for the comment card early. As exemplary service is given, I add it to the card. If you put your steward's name down and leave the card in plain site, you'll get better service! :D

Couldn't we just turn this into a poll and call it quits?

Thanks Veronica for taking the time to answer my question. I had never thought of asking for the comment card in advance. I will try to remember to do that on our upcoming cruise. Since it is a longer one it will help to jot things down all through the cruise.

I also think the comments will have a greater impact on them than a few dollars in tip. On one of our cruises our assistant waiter was much better than our waiter was. He was much more attentive to the guests needs and really did the greater share of the work. I made sure to note everything on the comment card and suggest that he would make an exceptional waiter due to his attention to detail. Hopefully comments like that will give him the opportunity to advance and get the bigger share of those auto tips.

Archived