2009 Saint John, NB Canada FAQ and Interactive Cruise Ship Visitor's Map

Acey

The cruiselines don't have a lot of scheduled trips in June on this itinerary - the weather in June is just fine. The busier period is Autumn with the changing colours of the leaves, although it is consistent throughout July and August.

The horse drawn trolley tour goes throughout the historic Trinity Royal part of the city, which is all within 8 blocks of the ship. They all take the same route - it terminates at the City Market, or you have the option to continue back to the ship when it goes to pick up next group. (after horses have their mandatory rest period of course). The key sites are basically historic buildings along with the interesting local lore surrounding them.

The tours are operated by Turn of the Century Trolley Tours - and the cruiseline sells the tour - I'm not sure of the price, but would count on it being a 50-100% markup as the cruiselines do. However, there is a smaller outfit that operates too - I seem to think they are not sold by the cruiselines which means you may be able to take that one at a "normal" price - however don't take my word for it as I'm not sure - hopefully someone else will know....

And to be upfront - you may have to on occassion put up with the smell of horse poop - I laugh sometimes I see tourists hanging to the side of the trolley trying to get fresh air. LOL like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer fed the horse Beefarino....

Has anyone taken the city bus to Reversing Falls?

I want to go to the Restaurant at the Falls and wonder if anyone has

gone there.....especially to see the film about the falls.....I figure we

won't be there to see the actual wonder (wrong time) so I'd at least

like to see a filmed version. Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that the #1 bus goes there but I'm not sure

where one catches the bus. It might have said "City Hall or Court House"...

anyone know how you get there? Again, thanks.

Has anyone taken the city bus to Reversing Falls?

I want to go to the Restaurant at the Falls and wonder if anyone has

gone there.....especially to see the film about the falls.....I figure we

won't be there to see the actual wonder (wrong time) so I'd at least

like to see a filmed version. Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that the #1 bus goes there but I'm not sure

where one catches the bus. It might have said "City Hall or Court House"...

anyone know how you get there? Again, thanks.

Take bus #1 Lancaster Mall via Rothesay Ave from City Hall - comes every 15 to 20 minutes and stops right at falls. An ambassador will direct you to the bus stop if you need help.

Take bus #1 Lancaster Mall via Rothesay Ave from City Hall - comes every 15 to 20 minutes and stops right at falls. An ambassador will direct you to the bus stop if you need help.

Thank you Acey. Now, one final question (I hope). Where is the City Hall?

I guess I could ask for directions when I get off the ship.

We will be in Saint John Thursday, Oct. 29th on Crown Princess. Just found out that the Fundy Trail will be closed as of the second week of October. Looks like that is out now so we are planning on going to St. Martins.

Any special areas in St. Martin we should check out? Best locations for photographs?

Where can we find the covered bridges?

When we return to Saint John we plan on driving by the Fort and stopping at the Reversing Falls, is there parking near these two attractions? Is there a fee?

We then plan to return the rental car and walking around to see Old Saint John City Market, Market Square, Barbour's General Store; Loyalist House; Loyalist Burial Ground; and Imperial Theatre. Are these within walking distance from the Enterprise Rental?

We will be in Saint John Thursday, Oct. 29th on Crown Princess. Just found out that the Fundy Trail will be closed as of the second week of October. Looks like that is out now so we are planning on going to St. Martins.

Any special areas in St. Martin we should check out? Best locations for photographs?

Where can we find the covered bridges?

When we return to Saint John we plan on driving by the Fort and stopping at the Reversing Falls, is there parking near these two attractions? Is there a fee?

We then plan to return the rental car and walking around to see Old Saint John City Market, Market Square, Barbour's General Store; Loyalist House; Loyalist Burial Ground; and Imperial Theatre. Are these within walking distance from the Enterprise Rental?

The covered bridge, boats, caves and beach are all in a small area - the best place for photos - can't miss it. Also go see the miniture horses! The parking at the forts and Reversing Falls is right on site and free.

The uptown places you mentioned are all near Enterprise (5 min.):

Walking out of the Enterprise parking lot, turn right and walk a few paces - keep to the right and walk up the hill one block (Sewell Street) and turn right onto Dorchester Street. Go one block to Carleton Street and turn right. Go one block to Wellington Row. At this corner is the Old Stone Church worth checking out. One block down you'll see the Loyalist House. Across the street and down a bit from Loyalist House you will see the lower entrance of the City Market. Exit the top entrance of the City Market - straight ahead one block is the loyalist burial ground, or on the right beside King's Square is the Imperial Theatre. Walk back down King Street to get to Barbour's General Store and Market Square at the foot of it.

Thanks for all the directions. Glad to hear we will be able to walk to all the sights after returning the car.

Do you think we should drive to St. Martin first and leave the Reversing Falls for our return? I thought we would be better off going out to the furthest distance first, what do you think? Do you have to pay to see the falls?

If time allows us to stop at the fort can we take pictures from the parking lot or is there a place nearby? Since we would want to walk around downtown we wouldn't want to take the time to enter the fort, just some photos.

As for St. Martin to see all you mentioned do we just drive to the harbor?

Thanks for all the directions. Glad to hear we will be able to walk to all the sights after returning the car.

Do you think we should drive to St. Martin first and leave the Reversing Falls for our return? I thought we would be better off going out to the furthest distance first, what do you think? Do you have to pay to see the falls?

If time allows us to stop at the fort can we take pictures from the parking lot or is there a place nearby? Since we would want to walk around downtown we wouldn't want to take the time to enter the fort, just some photos.

As for St. Martin to see all you mentioned do we just drive to the harbor?

The falls are a free attraction. Most people would "time" the falls to go when it is either high tide and/or low tide to see it in reverse. If you go there it may only be slack tide and boring. In my opinion, if the Reversing Falls timing is right on after St. Martin's I would go - however I would not alter your day for it - I don't think it's worth it.

As for Fort Howe, you park right at the lookout - you can even just drive up the hill and down again snapping photos from the side of the road. It's very convenient and no walking needed.

For St. Martin's there is only one main road in and out so just follow the signs. You will just make a turn off the main route (111) onto Main Street. You can park at the beach to discover covered bride, beach and caves. For the miniture horses, it's just down a side road - the tourist guides will point you in the right direction:

http://www.bbexpo.com/minihorsefarm.shtml

The covered bridge, boats, caves and beach are all in a small area - the best place for photos - can't miss it. Also go see the miniture horses! The parking at the forts and Reversing Falls is right on site and free.

The uptown places you mentioned are all near Enterprise (5 min.):

Walking out of the Enterprise parking lot, turn right and walk a few paces - keep to the right and walk up the hill one block (Sewell Street) and turn right onto Dorchester Street. Go one block to Carleton Street and turn right. Go one block to Wellington Row. At this corner is the Old Stone Church worth checking out. One block down you'll see the Loyalist House. Across the street and down a bit from Loyalist House you will see the lower entrance of the City Market. Exit the top entrance of the City Market - straight ahead one block is the loyalist burial ground, or on the right beside King's Square is the Imperial Theatre. Walk back down King Street to get to Barbour's General Store and Market Square at the foot of it.

Sorry - slight mistake - when you walk out of Enterprise, turn left, and then left again up the hill (Sewell St)

Just updated my directions after exiting Enterprise, so from Sewell I turn right again onto Dorchester St.?

Sounds like we have our day planned out thanks to all your help.:)

I'm sure I'll have other questions as time gets closer and after I read more posts:D

Thanks again for taking the time.

Thanks for the Good tips on things to do. We would be interested in some of the other ports. I have cars reserved in Saint John, Sydney and Charlottetown, and we have cruise critic friend from a previous cruise picking us up in Halifax. We ordered a free map and guide from a site, which arrived in a week which will help decide what to do, and how to get there. Not sure on Portland, but may go sailing. Less than a month to go now....Dave

This is the link to the travel guide and map: https://novascotia.com/en/home/planatrip/travel_guides/default.aspx

Thanks for this info. Now for another question: What is the bus fare?

moi

Thanks for this info. Now for another question: What is the bus fare?

moi

$2.50 per person per trip - OK to use your $USD - so if youhave a few people going - you might as well cab it.

Is Hurricane Bill expected in St John? I was just watching the weather channel and it looks like the path will go to Halifax. We were on a cruise in Oct 2004 when TS Nicole hit Halifax and St. John was rainy and the water was rough the next day. We had a rough ride to Halifax from NY as well!!

Is Hurricane Bill expected in St John? I was just watching the weather channel and it looks like the path will go to Halifax. We were on a cruise in Oct 2004 when TS Nicole hit Halifax and St. John was rainy and the water was rough the next day. We had a rough ride to Halifax from NY as well!!

We expect to have very heavy rains on Sunday and wind gusts. It's extremely rare for a hurricane to go up the Bay of Fundy - we had a scare last year with the eye expected to go right over Saint John however it took a sharp turn to the right and spared us. We expect 50-100 mm of rain (2-4 inches)

We expect to have very heavy rains on Sunday and wind gusts. It's extremely rare for a hurricane to go up the Bay of Fundy - we had a scare last year with the eye expected to go right over Saint John however it took a sharp turn to the right and spared us. We expect 50-100 mm of rain (2-4 inches)

THat's good that hurricanes really don't there. Do you remember in Oct 2004 if you were affected by TS Nicole? We travelled through it to get to Halifax and at the Maritime Museum there was a posting that they were hit with 100 km winds the night before. A few smaller ships stayed in port that night instead of leaving. The next day was St. John rainy and rough seas to get there but not the harsh 25 ft seas or 70 knot winds we experienced on the way to Halifax.

Thanks for all the great information. What do you suggest doing in St. John. This will be our 3rd visit (favorite port on this cruise, the people are really WONDERFUL in St. John!!!) We basically did the city on our 2 previous trips but I have always wanted to see the tidal changes in the Bay of Fundy. We will be on this cruise with my daughter, son-in-law and 1 1/2 yr. old grandson. Most likely we won't do a cruise ship tour there (very expensive) Thanks for any ideas for us!! (in NJ we are already experiencing rough waters at the beach. Red flags today due to the rough waters!)

THat's good that hurricanes really don't there. Do you remember in Oct 2004 if you were affected by TS Nicole? We travelled through it to get to Halifax and at the Maritime Museum there was a posting that they were hit with 100 km winds the night before. A few smaller ships stayed in port that night instead of leaving. The next day was St. John rainy and rough seas to get there but not the harsh 25 ft seas or 70 knot winds we experienced on the way to Halifax.

Thanks for all the great information. What do you suggest doing in St. John. This will be our 3rd visit (favorite port on this cruise, the people are really WONDERFUL in St. John!!!) We basically did the city on our 2 previous trips but I have always wanted to see the tidal changes in the Bay of Fundy. We will be on this cruise with my daughter, son-in-law and 1 1/2 yr. old grandson. Most likely we won't do a cruise ship tour there (very expensive) Thanks for any ideas for us!! (in NJ we are already experiencing rough waters at the beach. Red flags today due to the rough waters!)

Perhaps going to St. Martin's is a good option if you toured the city before - excellent place to experience tides. Renting a car would be cheaper than a tour. Glad you enjoyed your previous trips! If you stick around town, you could go to the museum or try a nice restaurant.

Perhaps going to St. Martin's is a good option if you toured the city before - excellent place to experience tides. Renting a car would be cheaper than a tour. Glad you enjoyed your previous trips! If you stick around town, you could go to the museum or try a nice restaurant.

Thanks!! What does a US citizen need to rent a car and how far in advance to do so? Do the busses go there? Thanks again!!

Thanks!! What does a US citizen need to rent a car and how far in advance to do so? Do the busses go there? Thanks again!!

Only tours busses go to St. Martins - no public transportation. I'm not sure about the rental cars - but American citizens rents cars frequently when the ships are in so probably not a big deal.

City hall is across from Barbor's General store. Outside the terminal, turn left on Water street and proceed down to Barbors. What you can do is go into Market Square and use the pedway to get there also.

I am embarrassed to ask but is the pedway a "pedestrian walkway" a sidewalk or something different?

Thank you all for the great info - I can't wait to see St. John and plan on walking around after an excursion.

We plan on renting a car from Enterprise and we will be docking at Pugsley Terminal is it possible to walk from there to the car rental place? How long a walk is it?

We figure it will take one hour each way approx. to get to St. Martin and we plan on staying there about one hour and a half so that will leave us after returning the car about two hours to tour the main sights in town. Is that enough time?

I already know from a previous post reply that Enterprise is about 5 mins. from the main sights in town but after we've seen them how far is it to walk back to Pugsley Terminal? Is it ok to walk in that area.

We plan on renting a car from Enterprise and we will be docking at Pugsley Terminal is it possible to walk from there to the car rental place? How long a walk is it?

We figure it will take one hour each way approx. to get to St. Martin and we plan on staying there about one hour and a half so that will leave us after returning the car about two hours to tour the main sights in town. Is that enough time?

I already know from a previous post reply that Enterprise is about 5 mins. from the main sights in town but after we've seen them how far is it to walk back to Pugsley Terminal? Is it ok to walk in that area.

It's an easy 15 min stroll to enterprise. Plenty of time for your itinerary mentioned above. Very safe area, no worries.... Alternatively you could rent from AVIS which is 3 min from ship on same street.

There is absolutely no problem with walking in the areas you mention. As a woman, I would not give a second thought to walking alone from either Pugsley or Long Wharf to either of the car rental agencies. This is a city where, if a rare purse snatching were to occur, it would make the front page of the "city" section of the newspaper. That should tell you how safe it is.

Sounds like a great place, can't wait to visit.:) Thanks for answering all my questions. The reason we chose Enterprise over Avis is because they give unlimited kilometers. Avis didn't even include too many kilometers in there price so we knew we would most likely go over the allotted amount and didn't want to have to worry about paying extra especially since both car rental agencies are both so close.

Thanks for all the great info, Acey and Sapper1.

I have a quick question. When we visited your beautiful city in 2005 we docked at Pugsley and there was a tent filled with vendors and I loved all the craft items. Last year we also docked at Pugley and they were building the new terminal so there was no tent. I really missed it. I thought I saw something over at Long Wharf, but didn't get over in that direction. We will be visiting you again next month and this time will be docking in Long Wharf. I was wondering if the tent is at either location, or are the vendors in the new terminal? And if the vendors are at Pugsley would we be able to get into the area?

Thanks.

Archived