Zuiderdam thoughts

savannahgirl1

Hi. We are booking a 10 night Panama Canal cruise for March 2010. We have sailed on the Veendam and the Volendam. We did the Panama Canal last March on the Volendam and loved every second. :D I was wondering what your thoughts on the Zuiderdam is. We have loved both of the other ships and were wondering if we're going to love the Zuiderdam. What are things you love and hate about her. I don't mind knowing both. :rolleyes: We will have a VA cabin on the Rotterdam deck. So CC members, what are your thoughts on the Zuiderdam? Thanks. :D

Excellent choice! Zuidy is our favorite ship, and if we didn't think she was outstanding, we wouldn't go back over and over again.

Here's my review of our 10th Zuiderdam cruise:

Thank you Candy. I know the Zuiderdam is bigger than the Veendam and Volendam and was a hair concerned but your review was very helpful. Like you, since we have done this cruise before we don't plan on any excursions. We did the ones we wanted to the first time around. This time we want to really just enjoy the rest and relaxation of the ship and it sounds like the Zuiderdam is ready to deliver. Thank you. :D

Just off Zuiderdam 1/28 sailing-- had a wonderful time! Everything was just fabulous-- you'll have a great time!
Love the beach - Glad to hear you had a great time. We're on the 2/27 sailing and can't wait. Maybe you'd like to donate some photos for my Zuiderdam website???

Bob

Love the beach - Glad to hear you had a great time. We're on the 2/27 sailing and can't wait. Maybe you'd like to donate some photos for my Zuiderdam website???

Bob

Wish I was going with you! I'm happy to provide some photos if I can figure out how to upload them-- hubby took 458 pictures, so let me know what you would like to see!

Marge

Wish I was going with you! I'm happy to provide some photos if I can figure out how to upload them-- hubby took 458 pictures, so let me know what you would like to see!

Marge

Any photos of the ports would be great. Thanks.

Bob

The Zuiderdam had just undergone some major work. She was in drydock last spring and they took off the back 1/3 and put a new one on and made her more like the NOORDAM.

I have sailed on this ship before and I have liked her. I was on the ship when she was but a few months old and there were many negative posts on this board--so much so that I was a bit nervous about sailing on her. Having done this, I now think she is quite okey and I liked her a lot. I sailed her again a year and a half ago.

I plan on sailing on her next fall. With all of that said, she is a VISTA ship and they are quite a bit different from the "S" class--VEENDAM and the "R" class--VOLENDAM. I refer not only to size but to layout on all floors especially the public floors. Just enjoy it because she is a good ship. I would sail her any time.

Bob I like your pics. They give me a great perspective on what the Zuiderdam looks like and a good idea of where our cabin is. It looks like a great ship. :D
BTW I love Savannah, it's a great city. I should have many more photos when I return from our cruise in early March.

Bob

Just off Zuiderdam 1/28 sailing-- had a wonderful time! Everything was just fabulous-- you'll have a great time!

Hello, I am also just off the Zuiderdam. This was my first Holland cruise and even though there may have been a couple of clitches (code red, last day aggervation) my husband and I had a wonderful time. IMHO the shore excursion to the Embra Indian village, was well worth the money.

I assume from the way your question is phrased, you are seeking impressions concerning the physical aspects of the Zuiderdam rather than whether or not someone had an enjoyable cruise on it. So, I'll address your question from that perspective.

I haven't been on the Veendam, but have been on a sister ship in her class, the Ryndam. I also haven't been on the Volendam, but have been on sister ships in her class, the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam. These three HAL shiips as well as Princess and RCCL ships that I have sailed on have all been elegant with beautiful atria, furnishings, art, etc.

My impression of the Zuiderdam is that is an exceedingly plain ship almost completely lacking in beauty. It gives the impression that whoever decorated it was an extreme minimalist. The only "attraction" of the atrium is a clear plastic-looking seahorse. There is no opulent beauty at all. IMO, this so-called atrium could have just as well been totally omitted. Most pictures in particular appear cheap, in general more like poster reproductions than the real art present on other ships.

To sum up my feelings insofar as the beauty of the Zuiderdam is concerned, it should be re-named the Uglyducklingdam.

So, if the Volendam and Veendam are beautiful ships as are their sister ships I have been on, and if you like that beauty, be prepared not to see that on the Zuiderdam.

I must admit that the photos I have seen of the Zuiderdam don't look nearly as nice as what I remember from the Noordam. The colors of the Noordam were muted and very classy. The Zuiderdam seems to have more bold, bright primary colors. I don't expect to like the decor as much as I did on the Noordam. Having said that, I seldom reflect on the artwork that was on the Noordam but rather the wonderful crew and the many nice people we met there. As I am not expecting much in the way of artworks and decor on the Zuiderdam, I shouldn't be disappointed. However I will be sure to let you know if it has any negative effect on my cruise. As I am traveling in a group of twelve friends I doubt that I'll have much time alone anyway. I have downloaded the art tour for my iPod and will try and get some time to check it out. If you are traveling alone make sure to touch base with the CCers from your Roll Call. They can add a lot to the enjoyment of your cruise. As Jimmy Buffett says "Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes". With the right attitude I'm sure you will have a great cruise. I will also be posting many photos of the ship on my website after we return in March.

Bob

I assume from the way your question is phrased, you are seeking impressions concerning the physical aspects of the Zuiderdam rather than whether or not someone had an enjoyable cruise on it. So, I'll address your question from that perspective.

I haven't been on the Veendam, but have been on a sister ship in her class, the Ryndam. I also haven't been on the Volendam, but have been on sister ships in her class, the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam. These three HAL shiips as well as Princess and RCCL ships that I have sailed on have all been elegant with beautiful atria, furnishings, art, etc.

My impression of the Zuiderdam is that is an exceedingly plain ship almost completely lacking in beauty. It gives the impression that whoever decorated it was an extreme minimalist. The only "attraction" of the atrium is a clear plastic-looking seahorse. There is no opulent beauty at all. IMO, this so-called atrium could have just as well been totally omitted. Most pictures in particular appear cheap, in general more like poster reproductions than the real art present on other ships.

To sum up my feelings insofar as the beauty of the Zuiderdam is concerned, it should be re-named the Uglyducklingdam.

So, if the Volendam and Veendam are beautiful ships as are their sister ships I have been on, and if you like that beauty, be prepared not to see that on the Zuiderdam.

luxurysailer,

I believe the seahorse in the atrium on Zuiderdam is a Waterford Crystal seahorse, not clear plastic. Unless it has been changed out since I was on-board 8/07. While the colors on-board Zuiderdam are a bit bright (purple, red, green, yellow) it is still a beautiful ship full of brass and wood, to let you know you are on a ship, not in a mall. The teakwood promenade deck alone is worth it's weight in gold. Guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

I really appreciate everyones input. Even if the ship isn't as beautiful as others in the line, I still think any day on a ship is better than any day at the Walmart trying to figure out what to have for supper. ;) :D We booked our cruise on her for next March (2010) Is it to early to start packing? :p

I didn't figure the seahorse was really plastic. It's composition is immaterial. My point is that the so-called atrium is dinky.

Does anyone really think that the Zuiderdam is a beautiful ship that can legitimately be compared with the beauty of the Amsterdam and Rotterdam?

What do you suppose HAL's motivation was in launching such an ugly ship. Could it have been anything other than cutting costs?

I didn't figure the seahorse was really plastic. It's composition is immaterial. My point is that the so-called atrium is dinky.

Does anyone really think that the Zuiderdam is a beautiful ship that can legitimately be compared with the beauty of the Amsterdam and Rotterdam?

What do you suppose HAL's motivation was in launching such an ugly ship. Could it have been anything other than cutting costs?

I have been on cruises on both the Ameterdam and the Zuiderdam and a Mariners Brunch on the Eurodam. I don't think the Zuiderdam is ugly at all. Sure it is not the Amsterdam which is a beauty, and it is a bit bold and bright at times but I never thought it ugly. Just different.

Some think the Eurodam is not that good looking, some color combinations might not go down well with everyone (red chaird in the cabins, darker paneling etc). It is all a matter of taste and not everyone can agree on what is beautiful and what is ugly.

Any photos of the ports would be great. Thanks.

Bob

I am posting a link to some pictures-- this is the first time I'm doing this, so I hope it works! Let me know if not. As you can see from the pictures we really only had 3 days of nice weather-- it didn't spoil our cruise, though. Hope you have great weather on yours!

Marge

http://community.webshots.com/user/redlady616

I am posting a link to some pictures-- this is the first time I'm doing this, so I hope it works! Let me know if not. As you can see from the pictures we really only had 3 days of nice weather-- it didn't spoil our cruise, though. Hope you have great weather on yours!

Marge

http://community.webshots.com/user/redlady616

The photos are very nice. I loved our Panama Canal cruise last March and am fully looking forward to doing again next March. Your photos just made me want to hop the ship right now. Oh well. :D

Archived