Passport Cards?

sail7seas

We have passports we renewed for the 3 rd time about a year and a half ago.

I think I'd like to get us passport cards to use as ID to reboard the ship in ports rather than using our drivers licenses as the ID with photo.

Does anyone know if I have to send our passports with the application and fee for passport card or can I just send application and birth certificate/fee?

Thanks if you know.

If I have to send our passports, I won't bother as I don't want to risk them being lost or delayed in being returned.

I want to use a passport card to reboard the ship in ports vs. our drivers license.

So, do you know the answer to my question? ..... I hope. :)

Did you go to the link and read the requirements? Or my post?

You would need to send in your current passport.

The other poster in this thread did link to the right information for you.

I'm still confuzzled as to why you would not just use your passports to re-board the ship since you have already paid for them and you've got several years' worth of validity on them.

But, to each his own.

There is a constant debate among cruisers whether to take passports ashore with you in the Caribbean vs. leaving the passport in the safe (carry a copy so have the number to make easier to replace, if needed) and using drivers license to reboard from port.

We rarely bring our passports ashore with us in the Caribbean.

Thank you for the link and info.

using drivers license to reboard from port.

I must be missing something here....we have never used a drivers license to reboard the ship from a day in port.

Which cruiseline does this?

All we have ever used is our Sail 'n Sign card or it's equivalent, depending on which cruise line we are on.

Just about every Caribbean port requires you to show your ship's ID and a government issued photo ID to come back through the port security. Then show your ship's ID to be scanned when you are up the gangway.

Did you go to the link and read the requirements? Or my post?

You would need to send in your current passport.

NO

you need to send in proof of citizenship - birth certificate will work. We are going to apply for passport cards also. We think they are a good form of legal ID.

A driver's license license in a joke, they give those to illegal's. I would prefer to have something that proves I AM AN AMERICAN - it means something to me. For now anyway. Meanwhile we have purchased land in Italy and Puerto Rico.

NO

you need to send in proof of citizenship - birth certificate will work. We are going to apply for passport cards also. We think they are a good form of legal ID.

A driver's license license in a joke, they give those to illegal's. I would prefer to have something that proves I AM AN AMERICAN - it means something to me. For now anyway. Meanwhile we have purchased land in Italy and Puerto Rico.

What does a land purchase have to do with this thread?

I don't agree with your "NO". Op has a valid passport. If you already have a passport and want to get a passport card, you must return your current passport with your application for the card.

NO

:confused: Don't people from Puerto Rico travel on a U.S. Passport?

What does a land purchase have to do with this thread?

I don't agree with your "NO". Op has a valid passport. If you already have a passport and want to get a passport card, you must return your current passport with your application for the card.

Thank you, 6Rugrats.

One may obtain a passport card using a Birth Certificate and form DS-11, which requires that you appear in person to submit the application. It is the same form used for a first-time passport book. You may choose to use this form even if you already have a passport book and don't want to send it in.

One may obtain a passport card at a lower cost (you are not charged the $25 processing fee) using the renewal form DS-82, which does require that you send in the passport, and which can be sent by mail, you do not need to appear in person.

NO

Wow, purchased land in Puerto Rico? Good for you, bc eventually there it will be very hard to find any available land on this island thats already so built up. I wish I could afford it too. My only hope is that my parents don't sell our family owned land and it gets inherited to my brother and I after they pass.

Archived