Cargo Pants or money belts to prevent pickpockets?

Chelly

I own several pairs of cargo pants and wear them when traveling (the kind with deep, zippered-pockets) In addition, I wear a light-weight travel-vest with many zippered pockets. Everything I need fits comfortably and safely inside the zippered pockets so I have my hands free at all times.

Other benefits of the cargo pants: When the temperature heats up, the pants legs can be zipped off, rolled up and placed in a pocket. They are lightweight, comfortable, easy to wash out and dry overnight.

Just wondering if this works for other cruisers?

I have cargo shorts with velcro pocket closures on some of the pockets. I don't think a pickpocket could open the velcro without my knowing it. I also buy swim suits that have velcro pocket closures for when I'm swimming. I don't worry about my money getting wet, because I've found that people take damp cash just as well as dry cash.

My Aunt had credit cards picked from her purse in Florence last year; my SO had a close encounter with a youth who decided he wanted his camera from around his neck, same day, different location, same city..... I think you should always be aware and conscious of your own personal safety, it's very distressing when this sort of incident happens.

I use a bag on a belt. It has a few compartments.

I own several pairs of cargo pants and wear them when traveling (the kind with deep, zippered-pockets) In addition, I wear a light-weight travel-vest with many zippered pockets. Everything I need fits comfortably and safely inside the zippered pockets so I have my hands free at all times.

Other benefits of the cargo pants: When the temperature heats up, the pants legs can be zipped off, rolled up and placed in a pocket. They are lightweight, comfortable, easy to wash out and dry overnight.

Just wondering if this works for other cruisers?

I have a Rick steves money belt. It keeps things dry in very hot weather, and the PPs can't get to it. There is also one that can be worn around the neck.

Those pickpockets are a resourceful bunch. I've known many people who have lost items they thought were safe.:o

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneybelt.htm

Velcro and zips makes life harder for a pickpocket, but it won't prevent them getting your belongings if you are targeted. I speak from experience :mad: but all that was stolen were 6 dead batteries. I was lucky...

Google for Bob Arno thiefhunters and you'll find a blog with fantastic information on avoiding being pickpocketed/scammed/robbed. Or go straight there : http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/

VP

Cargo pants and money belts are good. When in an area where pickpocketing is likely, I wear a zippered pouch that you loop your belt through and carry it inside your pants. Someone would have to get real friendly to get their hands on what's in there! :)

Fanny packs are the worst for keeping your stuff safe. I lost mine in the Rastro flea market in Madrid to a couple of theives. They are very easy to swipe!

Archived