Note to hosts...

Danno

I know I enjoyed getting email from some of the folks here and am very much missing the privilage of answering a few questions posed to me.

Understanding that I DO NOT speak for the group and may well be in a minority...I would like to have my email address shown on my profile.

Here is a short poll to help determine what, as a group, we favor.

I fully understand that board policy is the domain of our hosts...but a little imput couldn't hurt.

Dan

Century X1,Galaxy X2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith Oct/05 (hoping!!)

Century Feb/05

[This message was edited by Danno on 04-07-04 at 09:47 AM.]

Danno, thank you for the post, I was going to post about the same thing. I liked having the option of the email address in the profile. You could have it or not.

If this option can be returned there are many of us that would appreciate it.

Sue

Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - April 25, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04

Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05

I must admit I always pefered it in my profile as rather than my signature. I always felt members here would find their way to it if they wanted and trolls and lurkers we less likely to.

Probably just being naive.

Dan

Zenith Oct/04 (hoping!!)

Century Feb/05

What's wrong with trolls? icon_biggrin.gif

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

I hope Laura doesn't see this as some sort of digital mutiny!!

Dan

Zenith Oct/04 (hoping!!)

Century Feb/05

I liked playing with those cute lil troll dolls..their goofy faces and weird bright colored hair that stood straight up. icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ever get one of these responses?

Thank you for contributing to this forum. Your message has been put into a message queue due to one or more trigger words in your post.

If the moderators approve your post, then it will appear in the forum.

I guess Triggers are outlawed now....

All I wrote was that I like those cute little T dolls. icon_frown.gif

Danno, this is not a slam on the hosts. It is just a poll to see if there are others that feel the same, and from the poll results it looks like most would like the ability to place email in the profile or not at their choosing.

Everyone tip toes around being critical of the hosts and web site. Nothing gets done if we all brown nose instead of airing legit concerns.

cool1.gif

There are a few matters raised in this thread so far that I will try to answer.

1, Mean and nasty hosts. Anne and I are really very mean and nasty. Laura makes sure we stay that way by sending us a mean and nasty vitamin every day. Brown nosing by members can help. So can tips. (We make far less than the waitstaff, stewards and butlers do on cruiseships but we get no sympathy. None. [That's another reason we're so mean and nasty.]) Getting serious (oh, you mean you weren't already serious?) actually, our job is to be there when a nasty spat starts up, inappropriate promotions appear, or something else, like this gets posted. You can always email us at shiptender@aol.com or at AYGoyer@one.net if you have a question or issue. Also please use the alert topic_alert.gif button if you feel something is amiss...or even if you just have a question.

2. As for email addresses in the profiles, we have grown so much with so many members, we were a fertile target for the harvesting of email addresses of a very desirable demographic mix. The decision to remove email addresses was made based on their exposure and to protect our members. The suggestion has been and continues to be that you add your email address to your profile as a part of your signature. That way it will always appear on every post. The fact that there seems to be a reasonable number of folks in the poll that want emails in profiles may result in that returning as an option. Stay tuned.

3. The trigger word list includes the word "TROLL," a word which has been used way too frequently as a perjoritive, such as, "we have too many trolls arguing that the hosts are nasty." If you post a topic or reply that includes that word and many others, some may be obvious, your post will be "pended" for review before it is released by a host. (By the way, this post will be pended. You see it because I released it.)

Walt Tuthill

Cruise Board Moderator

Contact at Shiptender@aol.com

Thanks for being so mean Walt!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Walt,

I appreciate the detailed response. What I still don't understand is how putting the e-mail address in the signature makes it more secure than hidden a couple of clicks away in the profile.

Okay, now to the brown nosing.

This site is a fantastic place to learn, be entertained, while away the interminable time between cruises and just visit with friends. Most of us like it so much, we get downright testy when it doesn't work right or things we're used to change. One thing that would have made this issue less of a problem would have been some kind of announcement that it was going to happen. Surprises are usually not welcomed.

Thanks for all that so many of you do behind the scenes so we can have our little fantasy toy.

Bob

Walt, glad to see you are rethinking this. No way are we putting our email address in our sig.

On another thread on this matter we addressed why.

Also, several cat-fights have been put out by people trading emails to settle things out (with one notable exception). The option to discuss things offline seems to decrease the cluttering of threads with name calling and probably makes your job easier.

George & MaryBeth

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bob278:

Walt,

...What I still don't understand is how putting the e-mail address in the signature makes it more secure than hidden a couple of clicks away in the profile....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that the profile template establishes precisely where a programmer can located the address when he writes the harveting software makes it extremely easy.

By putting the address in a signature, it won't be found in exactly the same place in each member's signature so the programming becomes much more difficult.

By the way, don't even think that a harvester has the time and energy to click through each profile manually to jot down emails. It must be automated to be cost effective.

Walt Tuthill

Cruise Board Moderator

Contact at Shiptender@aol.com

Walt,

And now I understand. Thank you for that explantion. I actually understood it.

I never thought spammers would click through, but the speculation that travel agents (who really aren't all bad people) would take the time made some sense because this is exactly the type of database they would love to surf.

Bob

Walt,

If you can infopoop to cooperate there is a fairly fail-safe way to do this. In the profile, instead of displaying the email address as text display it as a jpg or gif image.

This is how the whois registry keeps domain information from being screen scraped.

George & MaryBeth

• Administrators

I wanted to add to Walt's always so clear missives that I seriously thought about broadcasting the change across all the boards...and then suggesting members post their e-mail addys in their signatures.

However, I suspect many simply will "do" as I recommend...rather than really thinking the issue through. Now, members will have to make a conscious decision to include their address...which is better for everyone.

Laura

Laura Sterling

Community Manager

Up4travel@aol.com

Cruise Critic

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Thanks for the info Walt. All you hosts are the nicest, most diplomatic mean and nasty people it has been my fortune to "meet". Keeping up with growth and technology is a constant challenge and I appreciate all your hard work.

Now, back to complimenting my "real clients".

Century 99-00

Rhapsody 11/00

Rhapsody 10/01

Infinity 2/02

Millennium 11/02

Millennium 11/03

Rhapsody 11/04

I will admit that I have got spam from travel groups...I'm sure they got my address from this site. I just use the "BLOCK" function on explorer then delete them.

Good riddance to bad rubbish...

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

I too miss the e mail address in the profile so I have this question:

I thought this info was posted somewhere on C.C....to avoid spammers put something like NO SPAM or HA HA into your e mail address, auto programs could not pick up the address'??

thanks....Rncshulak@OOPScomcast.net remove the OOPS to send an e mail.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

I'll be serious for once, there's a lot more going on here than anyone knows about, you want to post your e-mail address in your signature go ahead! Other than that, why don't you guys let this subject die. Laura has posted, Walt has posted, I have posted, where was I? Oh yea, that's right, I remember now, I have never received an unsolicited e-mail from any spammers on the e-mail address I had in my profile. I have received lots of unsolicited e-mails from members of this board!

Listen to the experts, or argue this point forever, that's what we seem to like to do on here!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Archived