Footwear for Shore Excursions

librarylady19

Just found this board today - been hanging out on Celebrity boards for weeks now!

Ladies, I need advice on casual footwear, specifically, what would be the most comfortable/practical for shore days. Our 4 nt. Century cruise stops in Key West (plan on some walking) and Cozumel (booked Playa Uvas for snorkeling/kayaking/lounging plus plan on walking around town/shopping.

Sneakers always make my feet really hot so I would prefer sandals. Recently read advice somewhere else that sneakers would be best (not sure why?)

Don't want to pack 10 pairs of shoes for this trip but may have to!:rolleyes:

I just ordered these a few minutes ago. I had purchased some really nice land/sea shoes from them 2 years ago that are really comfy, but I got blisters on my heels when I wore them around Ocho Rios after we had spent time in water.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SportCasualSandals~175701_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::JON&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000181&origin=index

P.S. Where are you at? We're in Aurora.

Hi. I have been researching this for our upcoming med trip. I need comfy shoes but want something other than the usual athletic shoes. If you look on the europe ports threads youw ill see lots of brandnames for comfy shoes that are sandals, maryjanes, etc. I just saw the Sahalie website and they have Teva shoes in lots of styles ans with no shipping costs. Merrils, and flyflots ( i think) are also popular. Will look more tomorrow. me

Just found this board today - been hanging out on Celebrity boards for weeks now!

Ladies, I need advice on casual footwear, specifically, what would be the most comfortable/practical for shore days. Our 4 nt. Century cruise stops in Key West (plan on some walking) and Cozumel (booked Playa Uvas for snorkeling/kayaking/lounging plus plan on walking around town/shopping.

Sneakers always make my feet really hot so I would prefer sandals. Recently read advice somewhere else that sneakers would be best (not sure why?)

Don't want to pack 10 pairs of shoes for this trip but may have to!:rolleyes:

Hi Sandi:)welcome to the Fashion Forum:)

Walking sandals vary for all of us. If you do a search you

will probably come up with a dozen shoe threads:D

I have done this itinerary quite a few times and normally

wear sandals to walk around in....my choices vary..Clarks,

Floy Flots, Spring Steps, Merrell's....just depends I what I feel

like bringing.

To be honest, I never pack sneakers when sailing to the

Caribbean.

I am doing the same itinerary as you are but going in April.

I will probably bring 4 pair of shoes total. But I am what most

consider, a "low maintenance packer";)

Hi Sandi:

I've recommended Naots to others. They make the most amazingly comfortable sandals! They form directly to your feet and no matter how far you walk, you'll never even get so much as a blister. You can see some reviews on the Zappos website (where you can also order them if you like them).

Lori

I'm a big fan of Merrills and Clarks as well. I also discovered Privos (also made by Clarks). Honestly, I don't believe in owning uncomfortable shoes, so I have a terrible time narrowing down my favorite sandals for Caribbean trips. Finally, I just look at the clothes I've chosen to take and try to pick a couple of pairs that go with the clothes.

As far as walking a lot but not in sandals, I have these in a couple of colors and love, love, love them!!! I've walked 12 miles in one day in them (a couple of times - when I go to the races) and my feet never hurt:

Shoes_iSEC1078901.jpg

I'm looking at this pair:

shoes_isec1095964.jpg

Glad to hear that sneakers are not necessary - save those for the gym (but probably not on the cruise!!). I will do some more online shopping and see what I can find in my price range.

Has anyone bought sandals from Kino's in KW. Can't believe they are leather sandals for $12 but people rave about them.

PS - Hi to Steve & Nancy in Aurora (I used to work at the library there!) I'm in Crest Hill (Nr. Joliet)

Has anyone bought sandals from Kino's in KW. Can't believe they are leather sandals for $12 but people rave about them.

Kino sandals may be good for some people's feet, but not mine. I threw out the pair I bought there. I loved the design and looks, but I couldn't walk in them. They were stiff, made a slapping sound every step, had zero support and made me miserable.

If your feet need even a modicum of arch support or heel cushion, you may not like Kino sandals. Some people swear by them though.

Kino sandals may be good for some people's feet, but not mine. I threw out the pair I bought there. I loved the design and looks, but I couldn't walk in them. They were stiff, made a slapping sound every step, had zero support and made me miserable.

If your feet need even a modicum of arch support or heel cushion, you may not like Kino sandals. Some people swear by them though.

I have a pair, but I don't wear them often at all. Same reasons.

I have a pair of water shoes that have tread on them and ties. They look just like tennis shoes, but can get wet and breathe wonderfully. They dry very fast. They are my favorite thing to pack when going on a cruise. I can wear them on any excursion, walking around the island or ship, even climbing the wall! They are the best. I suggest looking for a pair of these. The tread on the bottom is the most important. I bought mine at Meijer (kind of like Super Walmart in Michigan), but I am sure you can find them at sporting good stores.

PS - Hi to Steve & Nancy in Aurora (I used to work at the library there!) I'm in Crest Hill (Nr. Joliet)

Sandi, It's nice to have someone on CC so close. What a small world we live in. For some reason, as a child my family would frequently go for rides and one of the areas we went to was Rt 30 & Larkin. I'm not sure why we did, but I have lots of memories of heading that direction. And now, Steve and I frequently do the same thing when we're out on our motorcycle for a ride. I guess it's just a bit of nostalgia.

Were you at the main branch of the library? One of our favorite activities when our 2 girls were small (they're 23 & 25 now) was to go to the library, and discover all of the wonderful adventures that books had to offer. And I'm tickled to say that as adults, they still love to read.

Hi, I am sorry but I missed something, what is the brand of the shoes you have pictured? Are they the ones you say you can walk and walk in?? thanks, me

The shoes are Privos, and the top one is the one I actually have (in a couple of colors). Yes, those are the ones I wear to the NASCAR races, and we walk about 10-12 miles that day (2-3 miles at a time), and my feet have never hurt. They are much more comfortable than sneakers to me.

Good footwear is a must for me. I wear one of two kinds of shoes. Either Eastland sandals, I own this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Women-Sandal-Wedge-Like-Heels-Shoes-Eastland-9-M_W0QQitemZ370158469015QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Women_s_Shoes?hash=item370158469015&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 (wish it were my size, I'd buy it!!). Or, I will wear Skecher's mules. Just bought 2 pair on 6pm.com. http://www.6pm.com/n/p/p/7421223/c/14.html Couldn't pass up a deal, they were $16 and change a few days ago, now up to $25 which is still a great deal!!!

For walking excursions I'm a big fan of the most comfortable pair of sandals I own. I have several pair, Clarks, Birkenstock (although I rarely take them on vaca, they are mostly for around home), Merrells.

Don't buy a new pair of shoes unless you have plenty of time to wear them before the trip, make sure you can wear them all day and walk in them all day. This is motherly advice, my daughter didn't heed this last year and spent 2 weeks with sore feet in Italy and France. Her tour group walked almost all day, almost every day and she took the "cute" flip flops :rolleyes:

it s always been a comfortable pair of sandal s for warm weather

and for onboard..sneaker s and loafers..

but, for the upcoming cruise to Alaska..i ve order d a pair of

duck boots from LLBean..and i ll be bringing a pair of hiking

boots as well..

I wear Ecco sandals like these in most ports for walking.

You can do a custom fit with these because there are velcro straps across the toe, ankle and the back of the heel. Great for people who's feet may swell on cruises also.

http://www.eccocanada.com/jump.html

(Nr. Joliet)

I bought Kino sandals as a souvenier in KW but I fell twice in five minutes on the no slip pool deck on board ship. After that I just wore them on carpet.

This from the antithesis of a shoe freak... What I wear most on excursions is closed-front, closed-heel EasySpirit canvas shoes which are much lighter and more breathable than "walking shoes", and they take far less room in the one (yes, ONE) large suitcase we travel in. Sandals are out because you never know what you'll stub your big toe on and dirt gets in too easily. Also, I never teeter along on 4" heels on a moving ship, an ankle sprain can put quite a crimp on the rest of your trip!:D

The shoes are Privos, and the top one is the one I actually have (in a couple of colors). Yes, those are the ones I wear to the NASCAR races, and we walk about 10-12 miles that day (2-3 miles at a time), and my feet have never hurt. They are much more comfortable than sneakers to me.

thanks for the response. I am looking for something to take with me on a Med cruise, everywhere I read says "wear comfortable shoes, it is very hilly, uphill...both ways! thanks much, will buy some to try out. Liz

Went shoe shopping today for our cruise - came back with 4" Elie Tahari stiletto heels in gold that will look great with my gown. Bargain at DSW for $25 - don't exactly qualify as comfy tho.....so I guess I better keep looking for "walking shoes" :p

Keep the advice coming....I love to shop online

Archived