Best Credit Card to Earn Airline Miles?

BroncosFan2010

Living here on the west coast, it's hard for me to beat the versatility of the Alaska Airlines credit cards (available both as a Cdn$ Alaska Master Card, and a US$ Alaska Visa card). In addition to getting points, you get a $99 companion fare every year on renewal. The yearly award bonus is sadly gone, but often they have 20,000 mile signup bonus (a free ticket is only 25,000...)

Ginny,

If you read post #11, you'll get info on the Capital One card. It looks as though your Discover is similar, but worse. You aren't really earning "miles" in any program, but credits with Discover. You can then use them towards travel at the rate of $100 credit for travel per 10,000 points, a lousy redemption in my book. The "double miles" on some purchases help, but it still leaves you behind the curve for even a 2% redemption rate.

For a partner gift card, you get the same 1% payoff. For a Discover gift card, you get an even worse payoff - a $25 card for 5000 miles - only 0.5%. Ditto with the rate for an account credit, or bank deposit.

Now, you will get the ability to apply those credits to any airline ticket you buy. But, is that worth the tradeoff? Only you can answer.

Ginny,

If you read post #11, you'll get info on the Capital One card. It looks as though your Discover is similar, but worse. You aren't really earning "miles" in any program, but credits with Discover. You can then use them towards travel at the rate of $100 credit for travel per 10,000 points, a lousy redemption in my book. The "double miles" on some purchases help, but it still leaves you behind the curve for even a 2% redemption rate.

For a partner gift card, you get the same 1% payoff. For a Discover gift card, you get an even worse payoff - a $25 card for 5000 miles - only 0.5%. Ditto with the rate for an account credit, or bank deposit.

Now, you will get the ability to apply those credits to any airline ticket you buy. But, is that worth the tradeoff? Only you can answer.

I see your point. However, I was only getting a 1% redemption on my RCI Visa when used for OBC, which is the way I found was the best way for me to use them. Of course I would like a higher redemption - and since I will be using the Discover for eating out and travel I will get a slightly higher rate than I was getting on the Visa. However, I have been unable to find another card that I can use on various airlines (we often have to use different ones because of where we go), is NOT an AmEX and does not have blackout dates. I am truly open to suggestions.:cool:

I am confused about the whole gift card issue anyway. I am not sure what that is for. Our plan is to use the card strictly for airline miles.

I'm liking the Discover Miles card.

Please - tell me what you like about it. My new card will be arriving soon and now I am worried I made a mistake. Have you been able to use it for airlines yet ? Do you have to redeem in very large amounts or can you apply accumulated points towards a flight ticket to reduce the price?

However, I have been unable to find another card that I can use on various airlines (we often have to use different ones because of where we go), is NOT an AmEX and does not have blackout dates. I am truly open to suggestions.:cool:

Hardly any FF schemes have blackout dates, there might not be award availability, the two are often confused.

I'm surprised you got a Discover card if you're concerned about Amex acceptance! I find Amex is accepted pretty much everywhere, sure I carried a Visa too, I think every Amex cardholder has Visa or MC.

Hardly any FF schemes have blackout dates, there might not be award availability, the two are often confused.

I'm surprised you got a Discover card if you're concerned about Amex acceptance! I find Amex is accepted pretty much everywhere, sure I carried a Visa too, I think every Amex cardholder has Visa or MC.

When I owned a small business the Discover Card was the cheapest card for me to process. We encouraged it! I believe most of the places I fequent accept the Discover card. I am going to hang onto my Visa, though I may change it over to one of the other BOA reward cards. I am also keeping my Costco AmEx card as I have been very happy with that. However, I would prefer to apply my rewards to airline ravel than Costco purchases.

• 2 weeks later...
Please - tell me what you like about it. My new card will be arriving soon and now I am worried I made a mistake. Have you been able to use it for airlines yet ? Do you have to redeem in very large amounts or can you apply accumulated points towards a flight ticket to reduce the price?

Having done a lot of research online before choosing the Discover Miles card I preferred it for these reasons:

I replaced my Alaska Airlines Signature Visa which was highly acclaimed as one of the top cards out there. But I always hated the $75.00 annual fee.

Discover Miles card caught my attention because it offered basically the same

(and more perks than the Alasaka card and I didn't have to fly Alaska to get double miles) and there were no blackout dates on other airlines not just Alaska with NO annual fee.

Discover Miles has double miles deals with major retailers, gasoline purchases etc all the time.

The one string with Discover is you can't use it outside the USA. For overseas travel I use my VISA debit..but I've limited my travel nowadays to the states so that is not a big deal for me.

Having done a lot of research online before choosing the Discover Miles card I preferred it for these reasons:

I replaced my Alaska Airlines Signature Visa which was highly acclaimed as one of the top cards out there. But I always hated the $75.00 annual fee.

Discover Miles card caught my attention because it offered basically the same

(and more perks than the Alasaka card and I didn't have to fly Alaska to get double miles) and there were no blackout dates on other airlines not just Alaska with NO annual fee.

Discover Miles has double miles deals with major retailers, gasoline purchases etc all the time.

The one string with Discover is you can't use it outside the USA. For overseas travel I use my VISA debit..but I've limited my travel nowadays to the states so that is not a big deal for me.

Who cares about the annual fee if the benefits of the more expensive card pay for themselves in your circumstance? The fees with credit cards generally buy benefits, and if you spend enough (usually something like four figures per month) then the freebie cards are not nearly as beneficial.

It's a bit like trying to find a gym. There's a free one that has one lousy treadmill but the nearby competitor is $10/mo and a world class facility and you ruled out the $10/mo one purely on the basis that it came with a fee.

What's $75 anyway? A forgettable meal out? If it was $500/yr I could maybe see your point.

Sounds liek the Sherwood AmEx card is the far preferred choice, the only downfall being you put the miles in a FF program with a major airline, and their dates are often VERY limited when I have looked.

To those that use frequent flyer miles, how far ahead do you book, can you often (ever?) get two seats on the same plane, and how flexible on dates are you finding you have to be?

Sounds liek the Sherwood AmEx card is the far preferred choice, the only downfall being you put the miles in a FF program with a major airline, and their dates are often VERY limited when I have looked.

To those that use frequent flyer miles, how far ahead do you book, can you often (ever?) get two seats on the same plane, and how flexible on dates are you finding you have to be?

Depends on the frequent flyer scheme, the route, the airline, the time of year etc. This isn't a one size fits all game.

I wouldn't expect to get award tickets to Hawaii for Xmas or Thanksgiving with one week of notice. Book as soon as you know you are interested in travelling, you can always cancel them, usually for free, later.

What you earn with Starwood Amex are "Starpoints". These only become FF miles when the member chooses to make a "transfer" from "Starpoints" into their preferred FF program. So, you can wait on transferring into a FF program until you can find availability. Starwood also has a very nice "Nights & Flights" program that gives you a combo transfer....you get FF miles AND 5 nights in a Starwood hotel, at a nice redemption discount.

As for redepositing....unfortunately, a number of airlines have put in redeposit fees for non-elite flyers. Not sure if it applies to all programs in the USA - check your preferred program for details, fees and/or waivers.

Archived