Tracy Arm via ship or Misty Fjords via boat?

Chat Noir

Currently booked on Golden Princess - scheduled sailing 5 hours Tracy Arm, but a short stay in Ketchikan. Considering rebooking on the Star Princess which sails 4 hours in Tracy Arm but allows enough time in Ketchikan to take a Misty Fjords day cruise.

We have sailed Tracy Arm before with Adventure Bound, getting all the way to the glaciers. Fantabulous excursion, and we know we'll enjoy Tracy Arm for certain. We have never had port time in Ketchikan long enough to allow the Misty Fjords day cruise (and I don't wish to flightsee the area).

An hour pared off Tracy Arm vs. time to see Misty Fjords via small boat. Comments? Thoughts? Ideas?

I have done Tracy Arm (via Adventure Bound) and Misty Fiords in a combined flight/cruise. We flew one way and took a boat back.

IMO - there is absolutely no comparison. The Tracy Arm trip was fabulous and the Misty Fiord trip via boat was ok. I would say that on the Misty Fiord cruise, there is a good 45 minutes of pretty scenery but the rest is nothing different then you see from a cruise ship.

I wouldn't switch ships in order to accomodate this tour. I possibly would do the boat trip again to Misty Fiords because I haven't been thrilled with any of my Ketchikan trips but I wouldn't give a strong recommendation for Misty Fiords like I would for Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound.

I hope this makes sense.

Since this is your preference the time change is probably worthwhile for your. BUT if you get yourself out on deck sailing into/out of Ketchikan for several hours, you also get very nice scenic sailing, which most people miss.

Archived