lmurf

Texas Monkey

said:

You got:

air

transfers

cruise

what part of the contract was violated?

Well, as I said, the transfers did not happen as they were advertised. That's the part.

I have never seen a specified time table for the the transfers in any paper work. They say they vary by port and the reps will tell you the earliest and latest flights that are allowed but never specific times. There are too many variable at all the various ports to make such a blanket statement.

Im glad you shared your story. Im sorry that you had a crappy afternoon. Me, being 23 and scrapping for every penny to pay for a cruise I would be a little upset also. I guess im not a pessemist though, i would be just happy to be on that beautiful ship. The smell, food, people. an afternoon does mean alot but im sure the trip other than that was great :)

Im glad you shared your story. Im sorry that you had a crappy afternoon. Me, being 23 and scrapping for every penny to pay for a cruise I would be a little upset also. I guess im not a pessemist though, i would be just happy to be on that beautiful ship. The smell, food, people. an afternoon does mean alot but im sure the trip other than that was great :)

Thank you for your kind comments. We did, indeed, have a wonderful cruise, except for the first afternoon. This was our 6th cruise with RCI and I'm sure we'll cruise many times in the future.

Best wishes!

:)

Before this is turned into a slam on the elderly, let me make it clear that it clearly IS NOT. I just described the adjunct staff of RCI who worked at the airport. They were very nice, just slow and methodical. I am elderly myself, so I have not problem with the elderly.

The bus driver, however, was not elderly, but he certainly couldn't 'get the lead out' and get us on our way. He and the staff hanging around the bus were very lackadaisical in their way and attitude.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't the ONLY one who had to sit for 2+ hours and wait for the bus departure. There were several folks in the same boat and they were as disappointed and disgruntled as we were.

Congrats, you have learned that the transfers really suck and after only five cruises. I think it took me about eight before I finally figured it out.:o (last straw... 1 hour and 20 minutes to get from Port Everglades to FLL if you can believe it) If you REALLY do like Royal Caribbean Cruise Line then don't let that one bad experience stop you from vacationing with them... all other transfers are the same anyway. Just book your own fights and make your way to the port on your own. You'll find it's a lot more fun and you'll get more time on the ship.:)

Did I come on here and yell and post it? NO. Have I still cruised RCCL? Many times over. Lesson learned, I do my own transportation. ;)

So, you are saying that, when one has a crappy experience, they should NOT post it on Cruise Critic? I thought that Cruise Critic was a venue for discussing the ups and downs, the good and the bad, etc.?

You're jumping to conclusions if you think I won't cruise RCI again.

So, you are saying that, when one has a crappy experience, they should NOT post it on Cruise Critic? I thought that Cruise Critic was a venue for discussing the ups and downs, the good and the bad, etc.?

You implied it with this statement in your original post

We have been very loyal RCI C&A members, but are seriously considering another cruise line for our next cruise. Besides all the problems with RCI's website, including cruise history, etc., it just gets old.

Before this is turned into a slam on the elderly, let me make it clear that it clearly IS NOT. I just described the adjunct staff of RCI who worked at the airport. They were very nice, just slow and methodical. I am elderly myself, so I have not problem with the elderly.

The bus driver, however, was not elderly, but he certainly couldn't 'get the lead out' and get us on our way. He and the staff hanging around the bus were very lackadaisical in their way and attitude.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't the ONLY one who had to sit for 2+ hours and wait for the bus departure. There were several folks in the same boat and they were as disappointed and disgruntled as we were.

Now as you can see I put a smiley in there to say I would go to work for RCCL in a heart beat. If they pulled into Las Vegas. :D

I was just wondering why they were mentioned at all?

Imurf:

I just described the adjunct staff of RCI who worked at the airport. They were very nice, just slow and methodical.

Thanks for explaining that to me. ;)

I said no such thing. Go back and read it again. I just feel your heading is a bit much and rather tacky. JMHO

PS, As for your not cruising RCCL again. You implied it.;)

We have been very loyal RCI C&A members, but are seriously considering another cruise line for our next cruise. Besides all the problems with RCI's website, including cruise history, etc., it just gets old.

Why break my post into different parts? Ask me all in one post.

Just as I am answering you now.

Yes, unfortunately, there are many people who find any criticism of RCCL as an affront and get into attack mode. Sorry your experience was bad and, on a 3 day cruise, I understand your disappointment. Next time, fly to Miami and take a cab to the Majesty. You'll have a great time and be on the ship in no time.

Well frankly I think the OP has good reason to complain. 3 hours waiting for transportation to the ship is unsatisfactory. I can't imagine Mr Goldstein would be OK with that.

That's about the best response I have read on this post! LOL

Thats exactly what all these people who are dogging you are saying. Not only have you learned not to book air and transfers with RC, youve also learned about the RC cheerleaders and no matter what RC did they would never be the wrong one and to never criticize RC. I personally would not be happy to have to wait for the shuttle bus for over 2 hours and buy my lunch when it should of been free on the ship. We take transfers all the time and and some hotels are over an hour away and even in Mexico where it is so laid back ive never waiting over 2 hours to fill the bus. RC is cutting back on EVERYTHING except for cruise prices. Get used to it!

For me the first few hours of the cruise are among the best- going to the Windjammer for the first time, finding my way around the ship, reading the Cruise Compass- I look forward to that. He was cheated of a chunk of his short cruise.

OP, I would be upset by a 2 hour wait for the bus to leave, but also would understand that the bus isn't going to go anywhere until it was full. The additional delays caused by shooting the breeze and such sound as if they were unacceptable, although you never know what might have been causing the delay - loading baggage, paperwork, whatever. In any event, you were lucky not to have had this happen to you before (or not; you probably would have learned the downside of using the cruiseline transfers before now;)).

We have purchased transfers once, in Barcelona. As I recall, it took at least 2 hours for all of the flights to arrive, baggage to be claimed or reported lost and for us to get onto the plane. On the return, the ship was 4 hours late arriving in port, and we only had about 40 minutes to get to the airport. The bus we would have been on was empty, so we pooled our last Euros with another couple and FLEW to BCN (DH knows enough Spanish to tell the driver of our predicament and he quite enjoyed channelling Mario Andretti). The cost of the cab was 27 Euros, split 4 ways. The cost of a transfer was $18 per person. Never again!

We just returned from a 2/13 three night Bahamas cruise on Monarch. The cruise in itself was actually pretty good.

But...here's what happened on the first day...

We arrived at the Orlando Airport around 12:40 (via RCI arranged custom air). By the time we walked to baggage claim and retrieved our luggage, it was about 12:55. We immediately connected with a very elderly RCI lady who steered us down the hall to meet an elderly RCI gentleman, who directed us to the RCI desk.

Once at the desk, they took our information and put on our luggage tags. The lady nodded her head, and said, "Go over there and wait for the bus." (Our RCI transfers were included in our price for air).

In advertisements, they say, "buses departing every 30 minutes to an hour". So, expecting the bus any minute, I said, "How long do you think it will be?" She said, "Oh, about 2:45."

2:45? My gosh, that was an hour and 45 minutes! Plus, with a 45 minute drive to the pier, our afternoon on ship would be non-existent.

Trying to accept it, I said, "Well, can we leave our luggage with you and go have lunch?" Of course, that wasn't acceptable, so we could either drag our luggage to lunch with us or just sit there and wait.

2;45 finally arrived and no bus. Around 2:55, a bus rolls in and we are taken to the bus. After everyone boards and luggage is loaded, the driver and the 2/3 RCI folks stand around and shoot the bull, just hanging out. Around 3:10, the driver finally gets on the bus.

Of course, it's almost 4:00 before we arrive at the pier. Then, being platinum members earns us no advantage in the line, since there isn't much of one at this point. We check in, and just as we get to our cabin, the muster drill begins. We threw our carryon luggage into our state room and headed for the muster drill.

So, needless to say, we lost an entire afternoon (pool, buffet, etc.) of our cruise. Others had been on the ship since 11 AM. For a 3 night cruise, this really cut into it.

I don't know if RCI has cut back on their bus transfer service between Orlando and Port Canaveral, but this past Friday was really POOR.

On the cruise, the food and entertainment was fairly good, didn't really have any complaints. So, we just missed a good part of the first day. Does RCI even care?

:(

This situation is exactly why I don't take any ships transportation...or air for that matter. You are totally at their mercy. I book my own air and make my own transportation arrangements. It may cost a little more but I don't have to stay around and waste half a day for them.

If I enjoyed cruising on a particular line, I wouldn't necessarily NOT cruise with them ever again. That's sort of cutting off the nose to spite the face. Why not just make your own arrangements next time.

We used the RCL transfers in and out of Galveston on our most recent cruise. Our TA told them we would be there about 1pm. We arrived earlier, about 11am. It seems alot of people had the same thought. The had planned on using a smaller van for that time frame. Because so many of us got there early, they had to substitute a full size bus/coach so that they could transfer all of us to the port. We waited maybe an hour but not any longer. Once on the bus we had to wait while they put the luggage on the bus. I kind of felt sorry for them. It was one woman and her son. Apparently, these are services that are contracted out by RCL to local people.

Things happen, sometimes out of anyone's control.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Unsure how things work overseas (I am from Australia) but here, if you purchase tickets & transfers with the cruise line, the ship will wait if your flight is delayed.

But if you purchase your own flights & transfers, and your flight is delayed...the ship will not wait and WILL LEAVE WITHOUT YOU.

That is the only benefit of booking with the cruiseline, but then again, from the other side of the argument, by booking your own transportation, you get control over what time you want your flight to leave and how soon you can get to the ship.

We have used Princess and Carnival transfers and never have had a wait. This was ridiculous and did everyone read that they landed in Orlando and therefore the port would be Canaveral. A taxi would be utterly ridiculously priced for that amount of distance. Royal knew what time they were coming in since Royal reserved their air so yes I would have not been happy with the beginning starting out like that either. Don't know if Royal does it but Princess and Carnival whether or not who books your air takes your air transportation down so they know how many buses they need and when. Guess I will use other transportation for our trip in June.

We have used transfers once with RCI and once with Celebrity.We have only had one okay experience using them. The first time, the bus that was used did not have adequate air conditioning. The drive from Orlando to Port Canaveral is not a quick drive so that made for a quite miserable ride. On Celebrity last year, the transfer back to the Seattle airport was a disaster. We waited way to long to be able to board as they did not have enough buses.

After that experience, we have come to the conclusion that we will not use any transfers from the cruiselines, I prefer comfort and to not have to wait in lines.

First, I am truly sorry for you experience and losing those few precious hours of your cruise.

I have never accepted transfers with the cruise line. Also, I have stayed in many hotels that offer "free" transportation to the port. I prefer to use my own transportation and have the option of my own travel times. Waiting those extra minutes (hours) would be quite annoying to me. To avoid that stress, I just pay the additional $$$$$. Vacations go way too quickly as it is.

RC rocks! :rolleyes:

Imurf you were not screwed by RCCL you were inconvenienced. You received everything agreed upon. Granted did take a little longer than you thought. If you had done your homework you would have found out to get from MCO to the port it is easiest to rent a car.

Archived