What special dishes have you asked to be prepared in the main dining room?

stipmom

I'm interpreting your comments to mean that all of you are ordering items NOT on the menu, right?

Yes.... all off the menu.

On one voyage, my ex-mil had a hankering for brownies. We asked if we could have some made and the head waiter came by and he didn't even know what brownies were... we explained what they were and on the last night of the voyage, he came out with these warm chocolatey mini-cakes. They weren't brownies, but were excellent!

Also, on another voyage, my traveling companion asked for chicken wings for lunch... every day! Needless to say, we got their very yummy chicken wings every day.

Wow, so how did you know that this was even: a) possible, b) in good taste, or c) had the possibility of resulting in anything worthwhile? I am curious, because we do early traditional, and everyone is so lovely, I wouldn't have even thought of asking for anything different because of all of the alternatives on the menu! I stand to be informed!

Nothing "raw" will be served in the regular dining room. I am also surprised that they even served it at the Chef's Table.

I haven't done it yet but would like to have the Chef or Sous Chef prepare Steak Tartare one night as my main course.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Wow, so how did you know that this was even: a) possible, b) in good taste, or c) had the possibility of resulting in anything worthwhile? I am curious, because we do early traditional, and everyone is so lovely, I wouldn't have even thought of asking for anything different because of all of the alternatives on the menu! I stand to be informed!

When you cruise often, you learn. The worst thing that can happen is you don't get what you request. Traditional or Personal Choice; doesn't matter. Just ask nicely and see what happens.

Thank you. Lovely response. I became concerned that all those other posts implying that the pax could set the menu had raised dinner expectations skyhigh!

When you cruise often, you learn. The worst thing that can happen is you don't get what you request. Traditional or Personal Choice; doesn't matter. Just ask nicely and see what happens.

I think I'll try to answer this question....

Here are several scenarios I have experienced.

1. For long time Princess cruisers we know the menu and how it has changed over the years...we have our favorites and we miss those..

by then we've sailed long enough we know many of the headwaiters and Maitre D's...

we say to them...oh we miss the lobster thermidor..

and they say...

oh, we will make that special for you

2. Many of us travel on extended cruises, b2b's and then some, though the food is delicious..sometimes after awhile you need the basics...

I've been at a large table in the past for over 30 days at sea and one of my tablemates said ...I would just love a cheeseburger..and sure enough...not a problem...this was before ships got all fancy with grills and pizzerias.

3. One time when I was on a cruise, I had rip roaring cold..and I felt horrible...nothing sounded good for 2 days..

my headwaiter said we will make you anything that you think you can eat..

the 1st day they made me chicken noodle soup with a grilled cheese sandwhich

the 2nd day they made me

Plain pasta with a little bit of milk and butter, garlic salt and a heavy dusting of parmesean cheese

that I might add is what my mom makes me even as an adult when I don't feel well or I'm stress out...and since she couldn't go into the kitchen this was the next best thing

**Ordering off the menu..should be special...not something you do every night and it should be done without the expectation that it can happen..

We have found that the Head Waiter is more than happy to accomodate virtually any special request.

We love curry and with one vegetarian and one omnivore, they always have made special curry for each of us.

Rather than the high calorie deserts, the galley makes up a special plate of mixed fresh fruits and berries for us each night whether on the menu or not.

Ye ask and ye shall recieve (but ask nicely)

I think I'll try to answer this question....

Here are several scenarios I have experienced.

1. For long time Princess cruisers we know the menu and how it has changed over the years...we have our favorites and we miss those..

I'm interested to hear about these different menu items that have gone by the wayside over the years. Any insight?

let;s see..

carried over from Sitmar..amaretti di gavi... they did migrate to the Patisserie but now have been dropped altogether

lobster thermidor

floating islands (these will appear on the buffet,but RARELY)

flambe dishes every night..the one with pineapple and coconut ice cream was always on the menu

lasagne bolognese used to be on the menu, but now rarely on the buffet...love that stuff

baked potatoe soup...that was REALLY yummy

On our recent 10 night Coral Princess cruise one of the ladies at our table asked about Cherries Jubilee and the next night all at our table enjoyed some of the best we've ever had. I inquired about French Onion soup toward the end of our cruise and on the last evening all at our table enjoyed one of the best french onion soups I've ever experienced. As other's have said, it never hurts to ask politely and if at all possible it will appear.:)

Unlike some who post on these boards my d/h and I love Caribbean food.

We find the Caribbean night lacking in authenticity and have mentioned this on our last two cruises. The next evening on both cruises our waiters have proudly presented a beautiful curried chicken platter, big enoough to feed 6 people. One of the cruises the staff were mingling around wondering if we would finish! We left lots for them!!!;)

We have never personaly ordered anything that was not on the menu but on one cruise some tablemates knowing that some of us enjoyed escargot they ordered it in advance for us as a starter for about 5 days in a row. On a more recent cruise the table order a lemon meringue pie for the next evening.:)

Pasta Arrabiata - hot and spicy just like my Dad made :)

YUM...thanks for the memory. I will have to remember to ask for the arrabiata next cruise. On our last Princess cruise we had a waiter I remembered from Sitmar and he took good care of us. We will usually request a souffle once a cruise. We also asked for fresh berries and escargot (not together) off menu one night and then they came every night of the cruise on Celebrity. We finally had to say "enough" after about 5 nights!

One cruise the other couple at our table for four were vegetarian. He was from India, so the Maitre'D asked him if he would like something special the next evening. He replied "yes" and was served a special curry dish with garbanzo, which he shared with us as well. The next night there was another special dish, but the couple was a no show, so we got to have it. We found that if you like vegetarian there are chefs who can make really great dishes - none of which are on the menu. Just ask.

Last cruise on the Emerald Princess we were in the Cafe Caribe and I felt like a plain soup after an active day ashore. The waiter said "No problem" and they sent down to the kitchen for a special bowl for me. The wait staff there really went above and beyond for us.

Then there was the guy at our table last year who liked crab legs for dessert... :confused: he got 'em and was merrily eating as we left for the show.

We related to our waitress on the Emerald Princess how we met a lady who said "she couldn't find anything to eat" onboard ship :eek:, to which the immediate response was "Did she ask? I would have gotten it for her."

A number of yrs ago we sailed on the Regal from Bejing to

Bangkok with the "Silver Fox" as Maitre d'. Among our table companions (tbl for 8) was Dr. Henry -the head of the art sales -( and his wife). Whenever they were there, we all had sauteed spinach with garlic and heavy, heavy cream. Yum, Yum. So I have since made this dish

many times at home. Think I'll request it next week on the

Grand

YUM...thanks for the memory. I will have to remember to ask for the arrabiata next cruise. On our last Princess cruise we had a waiter I remembered from Sitmar and he took good care of us.

Who was the waiter? I didn't know any of the old Sitmar staff was still working for Princess.

Archived