Staying in New York

tigerdadky

Looking at the Oct. 3rd cruise to New England out of NYC. Will fly in probably to LGA. Where would be an fairly inexpensive place to spend the nite prior to our cruise, where we could possibly go into Manhatten and still be with easy access to the Manhatten cruise terminal.

Looking at the Oct. 3rd cruise to New England out of NYC. Will fly in probably to LGA. Where would be an fairly inexpensive place to spend the nite prior to our cruise, where we could possibly go into Manhatten and still be with easy access to the Manhatten cruise terminal.

That is the most expensive time of year to visit Manhattan (no 'e' in Manhattan) but with a little work, you can get a good hotel for around $200.

Book a cancelable backup now. Look at Apple Core Hotels, The Empire Hotel Group, NY Salisbury, Park South Hotel.

Start reading www.BiddingForTravel.com and www.BetterBidding.com and about 45 days out start bidding.

From Labor Day until New Years Day, staying in a hotel with easy and cheap access to Manhattan is going to run you almost as much as Manhattan hotels. With a little time and effort, you can stay in Manhattan cheaper than you can in New Jersey and then having to dick around with a commute. Not fun for Newbies.

Book a cancelable backup now. Look at Apple Core Hotels, The Empire Hotel Group, NY Salisbury, Park South Hotel.
BlueHerons, I've noticed you recommending the Salisbury before, and I was so glad to see it. We booked that hotel as our backup for our pre-cruise stay in October because we got a pretty good "sale" through Hotels.com, and it has a very good rating at TripAdvisor. It was only after we booked it that I came over here and did a search. Your recommendations made me relax! And, because it's in such a good location, I don't think we're even going to bother with Priceline this time. Thanks!

BlueHerons, I've noticed you recommending the Salisbury before, and I was so glad to see it. We booked that hotel as our backup for our pre-cruise stay in October because we got a pretty good "sale" through Hotels.com, and it has a very good rating at TripAdvisor. It was only after we booked it that I came over here and did a search. Your recommendations made me relax! And, because it's in such a good location, I don't think we're even going to bother with Priceline this time. Thanks!

Glad to help!

Aside from the outstanding location, the rooms are quite large for a Manhattan hotel. All the rooms have kitchenettes I believe which is great for leftovers.

I practically lived in room 1708 (one bedroom apartment) when I was in the hotel business for about two years. I'd spend 10-12 days a month there about every other month.

Angelos Coal Oven Pizza next door is outstanding! I think their pies are much better than Lombardis downtown (nations oldest pizzaria).

Right across the street in Le Parker Meridian is The Burger Joint. It is down a long dark hall beside the check in desk and it is a dump but has the best burgers in Manhattan (I think far superior to Shake Shack but many New Yorkers will argue that point). Cheap also.

Resist all urges to go the Jekyll & Hyde and Mars 2112. The Brooklyn Diner on the southwest corner of 57th and Seventh is also very good.

I haven't stayed there in some time because I'm more of a downtown kinda girl but you'll love this hotel! One of the last independents in the city owned by the Baptist Church next door.

What area of New York City would be best to stay when you are departing from the Manhatten Terminal. Not gonna have a lot of time to see the town, need a place closer to the terminal. Where exactly is the Manhatten terminal.

Trust me, you do not want to stay near the terminal. Anywhere Midtown West would be good. The terminal as well as popular tourist sites (Times Square) are Midtown West.

Ok we are looking at the Dawn in mid October to Bermuda or maybe late July ( Cruise is more hotels are less in July.) Where would we be best off staying a few nights pre cruise? We have done Time Square before & stayed at the Millennium Broadway on 44th. and thought it was ok. I was looking at the Casablanca Hotel 147 West 43rd Street for a pre cruise stay or the Sheraton Towers Midtown West. A previous poster said to avoid staying near the terminal area for some reason but did not give any explanation. We have done the Time Square area so staying closer to the terminal and saving a few $$ on the Time Square location premium would be ok too. Anyone had luck using Priceline on a pre NYC cruise? Thanks

BlueHerons, maybe you could help me. I am looking for a nice, centrally located hotel, not too far from Central Park, Times Square, etc. TripAdvisor gave the Michelangelo good ratings. Do you have any thoughts? BTW 2 nights in April.

The Michelangelo is a STUNNING hotel! One of my favorite boutique hotels in Manhattan and definitely worth the money and an excellent location. You really cannot go wrong with this hotel.

Thanks BlueHerons for the response. I booked 2 nights in April this morning. Actually the price was very reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. We have never been to NYC and wanted to be somewhere that we could walk to a lot of the popular sights. Thanks again for the response.

RosieRoo - stayed at the Michaelangelo last Aug for two nights pre-cruise and would highly recommend it. Fantastic location, you can walk everywhere. Hotel was very nice, especially for the cost compared to a lot of others I checked. Would definitely stay there again.

tigerdadky, are you asking the rate for the Michelangelo? I am going in April, a Saturday night was $199. plus tax. I booked that directly through the hotel. Honestly I couldn't find anything in that area that was comparable quality wise for that kind of money. I did notice on tripadvisor that their average price was much higher than that. Perhaps my date is a slow time? When were you looking to go?

JudyOh, thanks for sharing your experience. After the positive feedback from you and BlueHerons I am really looking forward to it!

We stayed there Aug 29 & 30 (Friday & Sat) last year and I believe we paid $250 a night, but at that time it was a bargain, Days Inn was charging $325!!!! Numerous hotels were over $500 a night:eek: Now with the economy down I have noticed hotel prices seem a little lower than in the past. The place was wonderful, nice furnishings and the location couldn't be any better. You could walk to just about everywhere - Times Square, the Theatre District, Central Park, Grand Central Station, etc, etc. I would most definitely stay there again.:D

Can I ask what kind of rate you got. What I saw was ridiculously high.

Again, your dates are PEAK SEASON. Everything is ridiculously high during that time.

I suggest you go back to my original advice.

Every year I have to book 5-7 rooms for the NYC Marathon which is the most expensive weekend of the year. Even the motel hell is $500 a night. I've never paid over $270 per night by following the above advice.

This is interesting reading - we were planning to visit New York in October but your comment on that being peak season is a concern. Would mid September be a better time to go, hotel price wise? Also, is it best to visit during the week and avoid weekends or vice versa?

Thanks

Again, your dates are PEAK SEASON. Everything is ridiculously high during that time.

I suggest you go back to my original advice.

Every year I have to book 5-7 rooms for the NYC Marathon which is the most expensive weekend of the year. Even the motel hell is $500 a night. I've never paid over $270 per night by following the above advice.

This is interesting reading - we were planning to visit New York in October but your comment on that being peak season is a concern. Would mid September be a better time to go, hotel price wise? Also, is it best to visit during the week and avoid weekends or vice versa?

Thanks

Usually in large cities, weekends are less expensive because there are no business travellers in town. October is a great time to visit because it will not be too hot. Usually midSeptember is still hot. I would go to a couple of the hotel websites and put in some dates and see if there is a big difference in price.

Princess usually uses the Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn. If you are going out of that one, the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge hotel was very nice and comfortable. It was within easy walking distance of restaurants, shopping and the subway.

Thanks

Peak season in Manhattan runs from the day after Labor Day until New Years Day. The only time prices drop is the couple of days over Christmas.

September is mobbed. Weekends and weekdays are both very expensive because business travelers and transient visitors alike flock to the city. Citywide events such as Fashion Week, NYC Marathon, Thanksgiving, and December are generally even higher than already high prices.

You are better off going January-February. Don't forget, NYC is considered Mid Atlantic and isn't as cold as you might think.

Archived